Author Topic: Craziest pesach chumra's!!  (Read 26526 times)

Offline maxie m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Craziest pesach chumra's!!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2016, 09:56:09 AM »
Do you guys have cornflakes and rice crispy on pesach?
just stumbled on this thread, nope not yet...
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2016, 10:02:40 AM »
We have the minhag to use the smartphone cover. But i think that my mothers grandfather started that mihag in the heim.

But in all honesty, my grandmother would wrap a shmatte over all the doorknobs. Many items that we have today, were much harder to clean in the olden days.
^^^

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2016, 10:36:46 AM »
But the whole point if not eating gebroks is to not eat chometz so now we should eat something which is certainly chometz?

Nice try, but the machine made matzah is without question less of a safek chametz than the hand made stuff. Every piece is uniform and there's no concern that the mixer got tired and didn't mix forcefully enough or that the lady hid her rolling pin under the table so it didn't get switched for a different one. If you want to tell me you don't think it's lishma or that you refuse to use machines to do a mitzvah (like how some people will only use hand written seforim), then I'll go away quietly  ;)
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2016, 10:45:22 AM »
Nice try, but the machine made matzah is without question less of a safek chametz than the hand made stuff. Every piece is uniform and there's no concern that the mixer got tired and didn't mix forcefully enough or that the lady hid her rolling pin under the table so it didn't get switched for a different one. If you want to tell me you don't think it's lishma or that you refuse to use machines to do a mitzvah (like how some people will only use hand written seforim), then I'll go away quietly  ;)
I'm sure you understand I wrote that facetiously. I understand that some are of that opinion but it is not without question at all. There are plenty of potential issues with machine matzo. I don't think that anyone should consider it actual chometz but by using machine matzo you are being machmir on some aspects and maikel on others.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline sharkky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »
(like how some people will only use hand written seforim)
Who are these people? Where are hand written seforim sold?

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »
new house phones and cell phones!!! TRUE!!!

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »
I'm sure you understand I wrote that facetiously. I understand that some are of that opinion but it is not without question at all. There are plenty of potential issues with machine matzo. I don't think that anyone should consider it actual chometz but by using machine matzo you are being machmir on some aspects and maikel on others.
Virtually everyone agrees that modern machine matzos are preferable from a kashrus perspective. There are few minority opinions, like R Moshe Shternbuch who has a problem with some of the oven designs, but even this issue is not in all factories today.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
But the whole point if not eating gebroks is to not eat chometz so now we should eat something which is certainly chometz?

Rav Y'Y Fisher; after his shabbos hagadol drashah; used to remind the assemblage not to forget to burn the hand matzoh with the chometz...

Maybe being meikil on lishmah, but what are you being meikil on from a chometz perspective?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
Virtually everyone agrees that modern machine matzos are preferable from a kashrus perspective. There are few minority opinions, like R Moshe Shternbuch who has a problem with some of the oven designs, but even this issue is not in all factories today.

machines get switched off abs dismantled and cleaned every 18 minutes?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »
machines get switched off abs dismantled and cleaned every 18 minutes?
Of course

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »
Sorry, I didn't go through the whole thread and joining late.

This is the thread for making fun of Yiddishkeit or for making fun of amei ha'aretz and baalei teshuvah? I may have jokes about both, I just want to make sure I use the appropriate ones.
Umm, no, OP clearly said at the very beginning that he and his wife do NOT keep most chumras. That's actually what gave me a bad taste. If it were self-deprecating like you are trying to make it out to be, that would be different. But it's not.

This thread is DDF for every genius who thinks they came up with the chap, "If they had cucumbers in Russia, I bet you would eat them on Pesach!"

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 01:25:45 PM »
If you guys were really worried about gebrukts, then you'd all be machmir to eat machine matzos. Just sayin
which ones?

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2016, 01:29:34 PM »
Of course
don't make blanket statements like that.  There was a bakery recently that was doing rework as kasher lepesach matzah

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »
don't make blanket statements like that.  There was a bakery recently that was doing rework as kasher lepesach matzah
Obviously I mean with a good Israeli hechsher

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Nice try, but the machine made matzah is without question less of a safek chametz than the hand made stuff. Every piece is uniform and there's no concern that the mixer got tired and didn't mix forcefully enough or that the lady hid her rolling pin under the table so it didn't get switched for a different one.

There is a reason Matzo is called מיכלא דמהימנותא, it's not all about science and logic, a lot of it is מנהג אבותינו etc. etc. (I know that this is not what the Zohar means by calling it מיכלא דמהימנותא, but pun is intended).

A couple of years ago I saw a קונטרס regarding the אריזאנא ווייץ that some in Satmar use (am I getting myself into hot water here). And a major point was, that sometime by coming up with new "hiddurim" or "chumrus" we are מוציא לעז on things that were acceptable and done for many years, and by tens of thousands of Yidden. That, in and of itself, might be a reason to stick to the old ways, even though על פי שכל, the new invention might be "better".

Regarding machine matzos, there were many גדולי ישראל that came out against it, and if I am not mistaken at least one of them stated that he is not giving a טעם, so that no-one should ever come and say that now is better or changed.

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2016, 02:23:14 PM »
Obviously I mean with a very good Israeli hechsher

FTFY

There are reliable hashgochos that are not Israeli. You need to be able to rely on the hashgacha or the matzah is garbage, whether it's machine made or hand made.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2016, 02:27:42 PM »
why is there an apostrophe in chumra's?

Offline hachover

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
Regarding machine matzos, there were many גדולי ישראל that came out against it, and if I am not mistaken at least one of them stated that he is not giving a טעם, so that no-one should ever come and say that now is better or changed.

Whoopdadamdoo. The machlokes is almost 200 years old and let's not pretend that the quality of the machines is still the same as then - the increasing modernization has eliminated most of the concerns of the original opponents. Not sure why people think the machlokes is still the same.

Whoever the person is - that said he is not giving a טעם - obviously there is no room for that opinion to change. Fartig.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2016, 03:06:24 PM »

Whoever the person is - that said he is not giving a טעם - obviously there is no room for that opinion to change. Fartig.

It's the Divrei Chaim. - the reason he didn't give a taam is because he didn't want the manufacturers in his time to weasel out and say it does not apply to THEM. Nothing to do with decades in the future.

You gotta be pretty emotionally involved to seriously believe that anyone would have a real problem (from a kashrus perspective) with modern machine matzos.