Poll

which gender is superior; men or women?

men
women
who cares???
MEN!!!
Equal

Author Topic: Women's role in judaism  (Read 18647 times)

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Women's role in judaism
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 10:35:44 AM »
so why do men say shelo osani isha??? i mean men are thanking G-D that they are NOT  women :o
Bemakom shebaalei teshuva omdim, afilu tzadikim gemurim lo masigim.

We are by design imperfect creatures. We're put on this world to perfect ourselves. The level that one comes to through work surpasses that which comes naturally.

Each mitzvah is an opportunity to improve ourselves and fulfill our mission on this world. Women may start off higher; but because of that, they have less they need to do to grow.

We relish each additional mitzvah, the same way we pray for long life, as additional opportunities which can bring us higher than had we never had the need for it in the first place.

Tzaddikim are on a higher plane than malachim, even though malachim are sin free; because tzadikim attained their level through their own work, and sanctified G-d's Name in the process.

This world is designed as a place of work to bring ourselves close to Hashem. We make the brachos in the morning appreciating those opportunities. This doesn't imply that men are superior to women; it implies that it is superior to be a man than to be a woman; as far as growth opportunity goes. Sure, it entails more work; but to work is why we're here.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »
Honestly, it always bothered me somewhat and the often repeated answers that men have more Mitzvos never satisfied the question, because then they'd say a bracha thanking Hashem for that, no need to make anyone look bad.

Now I see it as superior and inferior are relative words, and it doesn't bother me as much. We all have our unique missions to fulfill. That being said, men usually do assume a more dominant position in this world. But dominant doesn't necessarily mean superior.

Can anybody (Lubavitchers) back me up? I believe I've heard something to the effect of when Moshiach comes "the female spirit will be greater than the male."
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 10:46:38 AM »
Can anybody (Lubavitchers) back me up? I believe I've heard something to the effect of when Moshiach comes "the female spirit will be greater than the male."
Yup. נקבה תסובב גבר. mentioned numerous times in sichos etc.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 10:56:49 AM »
Honestly, it always bothered me somewhat and the often repeated answers that men have more Mitzvos never satisfied the question, because then they'd say a bracha thanking Hashem for that, no need to make anyone look bad.

Now I see it as superior and inferior are relative words, and it doesn't bother me as much. We all have our unique missions to fulfill. That being said, men usually do assume a more dominant position in this world. But dominant doesn't necessarily mean superior.

Nobody ever thought it looked bad, before the woman's rights nut jobs decided it was a misogynist  statement.
As mentioned; superior doesn't mean men are better; it means it's better to be a man. (If you have to cars in a race, and one got a bad start; you wouldn't say that the car that got the head start was superior, but you would say that it's better to receive the head start if possible, and appreciate that opportunity.)

Woman are pre designed the way Hashem wanted them. I've heard someone joke that if women make sheasani keritzono, men should make a sheasani shelo keritzono. There is some truth to this joke. Men make the brachah that they have the extra work mitzvos. Women make the brachah that they are closer to Retzono than men are. By thanking Hashem for the extra work (in making a shelo asani isha), we are essentially saying Baruch Sheasani Shelo Keritzono.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 11:03:14 AM »
Nobody ever thought it looked bad, before the woman's rights nut jobs decided it was a misogynist  statement.

As mentioned; superior doesn't mean men are better; it means it's better to be a man. (If you have to cars in a race, and one got a bad start; you wouldn't say that the car that got the head start was superior

What does better mean? If you're in race, then yes faster is better. But life isn't a race or a competition.

As far as the bracha is concerned, it sounds pretty bad. Don't make it sound like only nutjobs would think it's misogynistic.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
What does better mean? If you're in race, then yes faster is better. But life isn't a race or a competition.

As far as the bracha is concerned, it sounds pretty bad. Don't make it sound like only nutjobs would think it's misogynistic.
You missed the point and the example.
JTZ

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
Women's role in judaism
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 11:10:03 AM »
You missed the point and the example.

No I got it.

Mentioned earlier, I don't think that the women are spiritually closer to G-d is a valid answer. If you were thanking hashem for more Mitzvos you'd phrase it as such. Keep women out of it.

And to continue your example you'd say something like "I'm lucky I got to compete in a race" not even "I'm lucky I didn't get a head start" definitely not "I'm lucky I'm not one those who got a head start."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:13:08 AM by wayfe »
— Richard Feynman

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »
We make this brucha because men have mitzvahs which woman don't and therefore we make that brucha, we thank hoshem that we have more mitzvahs.

Taking this a step further:

We say שלא עשני גוי, because they only have 7 mitzvos
We say שלא עשני עבד, because they have a few more mitzvos than a goy
We say שלא עשני אשה, because they are only potur from מצוות עשה שהזמן גרמא.

Why then don't we say שלא עשני שוטה, as a שוטה is פטור מכל המצוות?

It might be that אנשי כנסת הגדולה that wrote the nusach were afraid that if everyone would say שלא עשני שוטה there would be too many ברכות לבטלה.  ;D ;D ;D
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »
No I got it.

Mentioned earlier, I don't think that the women are spiritually closer to G-d is a valid answer. If you were thanking hashem for more Mitzvos you'd phrase it as such. Keep women out of it.
"Thank you Hashem, for giving me more mitzvos than a... a... ummmm... a wo... a woma... Never mind."
JTZ

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
No I got it.

And to continue your example you'd say something like "I'm lucky I got to compete in a race" not even "I'm lucky I didn't get a head start" definitely not "I'm lucky I'm not one those who got a head start."
Everything is in comparison. More mitzvos than who or what?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2016, 11:19:03 AM »
Everything is in comparison. More mitzvos than who or what?

Ok but it still makes no sense.

Say "thank you for making me a man"

Or "thank you for giving me more Mitzvos as a man"

Or even "thank you for giving me more Mitzvos than a woman."

Why would you say "thanks for not making me be a woman"?
— Richard Feynman

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »
No I got it.

Because all brochos are phrased exactly to their meaning?
Do you make Borei pri hagefen on grapes?
What about on wine? Why, it should be Borei shtiyas hayayin?

Or shehakol nihya bidvaro- maybe it should be shenatan li shtiya?
Hamotzi lechem min ha'aretz? Did you ever see someone take bread out of the ground?
Visibly Jewish

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »
Ok but it still makes no sense.

Say "thank you for making me a man"

Or "thank you for giving me more Mitzvos as a man"

Or even "thank you for giving me more Mitzvos than a woman."

Why would you say "thanks for not making me be a woman"?
All of those three brachos (shelo asani goy, aved, veisha) are in ascending order of increased mitzvah obligation.
JTZ

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
All of those three brachos (shelo asani goy, aved, veisha) are in ascending order of increased mitzvah obligation.

Which begs for my question above, why no שלא עשני שוטה? He doesn't even have 7 mitzvos?
-- Dan

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 11:24:12 AM »
Because all brochos are phrased exactly to their meaning?
Do you make Borei pri hagefen on grapes?
What about on wine? Why, it should be Borei shtiyas hayayin?

Or shehakol nihya bidvaro- maybe it should be shenatan li shtiya?
Hamotzi lechem min ha'aretz? Did you ever see someone take bread out of the ground?

You got a point...
— Richard Feynman

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »
Which begs for my question above, why no שלא עשני שוטה? He doesn't even have 7 mitzvos?
He has a petur. We're discussing someone with no command in the first place.
JTZ

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
As mentioned; superior doesn't mean men are better; it means it's better to be a man. (If you have to cars in a race, and one got a bad start; you wouldn't say that the car that got the head start was superior, but you would say that it's better to receive the head start if possible, and appreciate that opportunity.)

Woman are pre designed the way Hashem wanted them. I've heard someone joke that if women make sheasani keritzono, men should make a sheasani shelo keritzono. There is some truth to this joke. Men make the brachah that they have the extra work mitzvos. Women make the brachah that they are closer to Retzono than men are. By thanking Hashem for the extra work (in making a shelo asani isha), we are essentially saying Baruch Sheasani Shelo Keritzono.
thats definitely a nice pshat. but i still think my pshat is still superior-
the way i understand it is; when we discuss superiority there are really two things that need to be discussed. 1.physical sense 2. spiritual sense. IMHO spiritually and in regards to the next world they are both equal, but in this physical world there is no question that men are more dominant, obviously a healthy women doesn't mind not being dominant so there is no problem, but men enjoy it, therefore the need for men to say shelo osani isha.
in comparison in this world the more "choshuv" a person is, the more we need to respect them, even though in the next world you might be better off...

Offline Amusch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 12:36:19 PM »
He has a petur. We're discussing someone with no command in the first place.

No sense of humor on a Friday?
-- Dan

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 12:42:08 PM »
No sense of humor on a Friday?
I was up way too late cleaning last night...
JTZ