Topic Wiki

PFS has purchased the exclusive rights on Coin offers on DD/DDF, going forward no other offers will be permitted.Sign up here.

Click HERE to see current coin deal!

-No commercial advertising.
-Discussion of forum moderation actions and forum rules must be done via the Private Messaging (PM) system.

Note: PFS Buyers Club takes full and sole responsibility for the reimbursement of these coins. That includes thousands of happy participants!

If you miss out on a coin deal you can try to check the following day/days for coins to get back into stock due to canceled orders.
Exactly 7:30am EST.

Remember to use the same Credit Card, Shipping, and Billing info, all on the same name and address.

Buying/Selling is only in the other thread.
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?action=post;quote=2487679;topic=62276.6650;last_msg=2488130

Cards that do not earn on US Mint purchases:
Fidelity Cashback (2%)

Amex: Effective January 15, 2021, the definition of a cash advance will now include “precious metal coins or bullion.” However, as of July 2021, this does not seem to be enforced.

[/b]
« Last edited by yos9694 on August 18, 2021, 01:46:13 PM »

Author Topic: New Coin Deal  (Read 1228965 times)

Offline normathej

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: New Coin Deal
« Reply #3420 on: November 20, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
So give him the $200+cost?

Assuming hes not a coin collector, that should be sufficient for him. I'm assuming he has no idea how much the FMV is now.

He literally knows the entire red coin book by heart, and spends all of his (granted, minimal) income on coins...

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #3421 on: November 20, 2019, 06:26:16 PM »
A willing seller sold 30,000 units to willing buyers at $70.  I'd say that at least for that instant in time the FMV was certainly $70.
-1 it's the same thing for exotic cars the original MSRP can be one thing but since it is a limited run the value jumps as soon as it's sold for example the new Ford GT it's resell value was double the MSRP due to exclusivity

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3422 on: November 20, 2019, 06:29:25 PM »
It’s not dissimilar to other people’s commitment sagas, I bought the coin under the premise that I’d be giving up maybe $200 profit to get him a cool coin, my pleasure; never thought it would go up in value like it has. I told my son I had ordered it for him, now I should say never mind you can’t have it?  If I didn’t have enough money to pay for gas and groceries, I probably would. But I am not in that position right now.
Your son has a great hobby. Give him the coin.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3423 on: November 20, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
He literally knows the entire red coin book by heart, and spends all of his (granted, minimal) income on coins...
This is another story.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: November 20, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »
$1,000 in 1995 is, due to inflation, the same as $1668 today.  Considering the 1995s (which may or may not be similar) are trading at $2500 today, it far exceeded inflation (note: I am far from a numismatist, but these numbers were thrown around upthread).

It is silly to gauge whether investments are good by whether they outpace inflation. If you had $1000 in 1995 and that turned to $1668 today (even guaranteed, which coins are definitely not), that would be a poor investment. If it turned to $2500 with risk, that would still be a poor investment (3.9% return). The S&P went up almost 6x since then and the 30 yr treasury was 7% in 1995.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: US Mint Coins For Sale (Individuals only)
« Reply #3425 on: November 20, 2019, 08:23:31 PM »
This coin was $60. Its not like a 1400 coin with huge risk.. if buying groups want commitment, they need to pay out based on a market value.

Otherwise people just wont sell to PFS etc.. Good for PFS, they got coins for 200 and mak 1k each? all buyers feel stupid now and wont sell in future.

Offline gingyguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 36
    • View Profile
  • Programs: I don't like to brag
Re: Re: US Mint Coins For Sale (Individuals only)
« Reply #3426 on: November 20, 2019, 08:31:25 PM »
This coin was $60. Its not like a 1400 coin with huge risk.. if buying groups want commitment, they need to pay out based on a market value.

Otherwise people just wont sell to PFS etc.. Good for PFS, they got coins for 200 and mak 1k each? all buyers feel stupid now and wont sell in future.
that's their decision for the future of they want to risk alienating their buyers. Had nothing to do so with the commitment that was already made to them
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline Agoldsc1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: November 20, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »

If they are paying market value, then they don’t need any commitments Ahead of time. The point of the deal ahead of the release is the Right to purchase it below market once the item is released, and hopefully realize a profit.

And by the way, if not for PFS and their advertisements I doubt that 1% of the people on this board would even know about this coin.

Offline mileagejunkie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 607
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: November 20, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
that's their decision for the future of they want to risk alienating their buyers. Had nothing to do so with the commitment that was already made to them
Personally I only signed up once for PFS 4 years ago and never did it again after learning my lesson. I've since been monitoring the release schedule and flipping a few coins here and there (no intention to make it a business, but free money).
I haven't read the full thread, but I'm not sure it's that simple of an answer. There are many things to take into consideration: whether it's a binding agreement based on the fact that the coin isn't in anyone's possession yet, if it's a problem since the seller wasn't aware of the price, if the coin falling in value is an issue since one can return it, and many many more.
This is in no way a simple question to ask your LOR. If there are a few people who really want an answer, I'd be happy to present the question to local dayanim, or in Israel if needed. If so, just send me a message with all the details and your reasoning.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: November 20, 2019, 09:12:01 PM »
And by the way, if not for PFS and their advertisements I doubt that 1% of the people on this board would even know about this coin.
Then they need to get out more.  :)

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: November 20, 2019, 09:21:52 PM »
Personally I only signed up once for PFS 4 years ago and never did it again after learning my lesson. I've since been monitoring the release schedule and flipping a few coins here and there (no intention to make it a business, but free money).
I haven't read the full thread, but I'm not sure it's that simple of an answer. There are many things to take into consideration: whether it's a binding agreement based on the fact that the coin isn't in anyone's possession yet, if it's a problem since the seller wasn't aware of the price, if the coin falling in value is an issue since one can return it, and many many more.
This is in no way a simple question to ask your LOR. If there are a few people who really want an answer, I'd be happy to present the question to local dayanim, or in Israel if needed. If so, just send me a message with all the details and your reasoning.
as @Dan said don't expect people to value your word any more than you value your own words. It's more a question of honoring your commitment &  yashrus  than halacha
May you slide down the banister of happiness & get many splinters of success up your career.

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: November 20, 2019, 09:24:16 PM »
+1 Best answer I have read yet! You missed a lot of name calling for those who were maybe considering backing out of PFS agreement. I get that there's an ethical/non ethical side to discuss, but I personally don't feel it's all so clear-cut, AYLOR is the right answer!
Chaya L.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: November 20, 2019, 09:25:00 PM »
as @Dan said don't expect people to value your word any more than you value your own words. It's more a question of honoring your commitment &  yashrus  than halacha
This all sounds very nice, and yes you can decide to do what will allow you to sleep better at night, but religion & Halacha define morals, so using morals to define Halacha is not the way to go.
Also, figuring out whether or not there is any agreement to begin with would help with knowing if "yashrus" comes into play.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: November 20, 2019, 09:25:35 PM »
+1 Best answer I have read yet! You missed a lot of name calling for those who were maybe considering backing out of PFS agreement. I get that there's an ethical/non ethical side to discuss, but I personally don't feel it's all so clear-cut, AYLOR is the right answer!
Pleasseeeee don't make me read 15 pages... lol

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: November 20, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
Why not as we have this same (use your own word) every time. You made a commitment so honor it. CASE CLOSED!!!

Offline chayal101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: November 20, 2019, 09:32:58 PM »
The debate is scattered amongst 3 threads... @myi (i think) tried to get the conversation moved to just shmooze page but it never panned out...
Chaya L.

Offline mileagejunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: November 20, 2019, 09:38:51 PM »
Why not as we have this same (use your own word) every time. You made a commitment so honor it. CASE CLOSED!!!
I didn't say you should or shouldn't honor it, I only offered a path to a solution to people who might have asked their LOR or who are still looking for an answer.
But sure, you can just pretend I didn't say anything and that you know it all.

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: November 20, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »
I didn't say you should or shouldn't honor it, I only offered a path to a solution to people who might have asked their LOR or who are still looking for an answer.
if you were to read the 15 pages that you don't want to, there are people that already asked their Rov  and were told to keep their commitment. But at this point it's already beating a dead horse

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: November 20, 2019, 09:41:24 PM »
I am not dismissing anything you said. It is like, Hey it is raining out should I grab my umbrella. Some things are right there in front of you.

Offline gingyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: November 20, 2019, 09:43:25 PM »
+100

According to Halachah, backing out puts one in the category of Mechusarei Emanah, not something I would want to be part of.
They should ask their Ruv.. It's easy for you to say.
I did.
And besides, it's clear-cut in Shulchan Aruch.
Actually, the Rav just let me know that if there was a set of rules to agree to by opting-in, it could be a a lot worse than Mechusarei Emanah.
Possibly even disqualifying the offender from being a Kosher witness.