Poll

Would you buy a German car?

Yes
26 (35.6%)
No
47 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: German Cars  (Read 22520 times)

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: German Cars
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2016, 10:55:45 PM »
+1

In another generation or 2 we will be living in ימות המשיח!
Amen!
And even sooner!

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2016, 11:24:03 PM »
Are all playmobile made in Germany?
^^^

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2016, 07:42:13 AM »
From the Lubavitcher Rebbe:

Greeting and Blessing;

I am in receipt of your letter in which you ask my opinion "as to whether it is a weakness or impropriety" to avoid the purchase of goods made in Germany. You add that you ask this question as a Jew, in light of Jewish law and custom.

Surely this is more a matter of feeling rather than a question of Jewish law and custom. Consequently, as in all matters of sentiment, it is difficult to express an opinion that would have universal application.

At any rate it certainly cannot be categorized as a "weakness". On the contrary, a decision of this kind bespeaks strength of will, all the more so since it entails some inconvenience.

Nor can it be considered an "impropriety", since it is based on a principle which may be considered to come under the category of "Remember what Amalek did unto you". For, as is well known, the inhuman atrocities, etc., against our defenseless and innocent brethren were not perpetrated by a small group, but were carried out with the knowledge, consent and even cooperation of the vast majority of the German nation. Moreover, I do not think than anyone seriously believes that the Germany of today is entirely different from the Germany of two decades ago.

While on this subject a point must be made which, unfortunately, is often overlooked. It is that the so-called "Final Solution", which Hitler wished to bring about, can take various forms. It can take the form of an overt attempt at physical extermination, or it can be an insidious process which is no less destructive and perhaps even more so, namely, through assimilation and intermarriage, a process which began in Germany long before Hitler, when Jews tried to hide their Jewish identity and conduct their daily life like their German neighbors and associates, etc. This process, most unfortunately, is very much in evidence all around us. Whatever explanation may be given, the effect is the same. Hitler, too, had a "philosophy" that "justified" his actions.

It is too painful of a subject to dwell on here, but the conclusion is obvious. Each and every one of us who is aware of the situation must do everything possible to counteract the tide of assimilation by positive and dedicated action, to strengthen the eternal Jewish values and Torah-true institutions in his community and environment.

With blessing,
I like how he subtly suggested positive actions (anti assimilation), in response to the ongoing battle against Germany and what it represents to Jews. Instead of just rejecting their products.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »

Greeting and Blessing;

I am in receipt of your letter in which you ask my opinion "as to whether it is a weakness or impropriety" to avoid the purchase of goods made in Germany. You add that you ask this question as a Jew, in light of Jewish law and custom.

Surely this is more a matter of feeling rather than a question of Jewish law and custom. Consequently, as in all matters of sentiment, it is difficult to express an opinion that would have universal application.

At any rate it certainly cannot be categorized as a "weakness". On the contrary, a decision of this kind bespeaks strength of will, all the more so since it entails some inconvenience.

Nor can it be considered an "impropriety", since it is based on a principle which may be considered to come under the category of "Remember what Amalek did unto you". For, as is well known, the inhuman atrocities, etc., against our defenseless and innocent brethren were not perpetrated by a small group, but were carried out with the knowledge, consent and even cooperation of the vast majority of the German nation. Moreover, I do not think than anyone seriously believes that the Germany of today is entirely different from the Germany of two decades ago.

While on this subject a point must be made which, unfortunately, is often overlooked. It is that the so-called "Final Solution", which Hitler wished to bring about, can take various forms. It can take the form of an overt attempt at physical extermination, or it can be an insidious process which is no less destructive and perhaps even more so, namely, through assimilation and intermarriage, a process which began in Germany long before Hitler, when Jews tried to hide their Jewish identity and conduct their daily life like their German neighbors and associates, etc. This process, most unfortunately, is very much in evidence all around us. Whatever explanation may be given, the effect is the same. Hitler, too, had a "philosophy" that "justified" his actions.

It is too painful of a subject to dwell on here, but the conclusion is obvious. Each and every one of us who is aware of the situation must do everything possible to counteract the tide of assimilation by positive and dedicated action, to strengthen the eternal Jewish values and Torah-true institutions in his community and environment.

With blessing,
Do you have a copy of the second page?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2016, 11:37:45 AM »
I'll just point out anecdotally, that growing up, I pretty much never saw any German cars in my parent's neighborhood (Lawrence), and now they're all over the place. Whether that's a function of changing attitudes, or changing demographics - who knows.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2016, 11:41:26 AM »
I'll just point out anecdotally, that growing up, I pretty much never saw any German cars in my parent's neighborhood (Lawrence), and now they're all over the place. Whether that's a function of changing attitudes, or changing demographics - who knows.
&feature=youtu.be&t=1m21s
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2019, 04:35:49 PM »
Like I said, it's a proximity thing. In another generation or 2 tops it'll be gone.

Though, articles like this might revive the issue:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-25/billionaire-reimann-family-confronts-ancestors-nazi-regime-ties?srnd=premium
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Online ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2019, 07:17:01 PM »
In Israel German cars are extremely common.
Because of war reparations, they're subsidized and are relatively cheap.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2019, 08:01:55 PM »
Because of war reparations, they're subsidized and are relatively cheap.

Kind of the same reason Israel was buying submarines from a German company, they get preferential terms from German companies.
-- Dan

Online dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »
+1

Magic Mill doesn't come close.

the fact that the Ankarsrum (Magic Mill's new name) retails for $699 and the Magic Mill retails for $399 says it all.

Which is precisely why it's an unfair comparison. The Bosch doesn't have a good alternative unless you want to pay double the price. When it comes to luxury cars however there are plenty.

Hugo Boss is another obvious one to point out. Here are some more.

https://11points.com/11-companies-surprisingly-collaborated-nazis/

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2021, 08:03:16 PM »

Greeting and Blessing;

With blessing,
@koplonko where is this from/ where can I find the original?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2021, 08:13:45 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2021, 08:15:49 PM »
http://www.lchaimweekly.org/lchaim/5772/1225.htm#caption5
באגרת (אנגלית) תאריך ט"ו כסלו תש"ל (התפרסם במכתבי הרבי באנגלית בהוצאת אוצר ספרי ליובאוויטש כרך ו ע' 84) עונה הרבי באריכות לאדם ששאל על קניית מוצרים גרמניים:

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2021, 11:49:47 AM »
באגרת (אנגלית) תאריך ט"ו כסלו תש"ל (התפרסם במכתבי הרבי באנגלית בהוצאת אוצר ספרי ליובאוויטש כרך ו ע' 84) עונה הרבי באריכות לאדם ששאל על קניית מוצרים גרמניים:

That letter was written 50 years ago. Is there any point at which we can say that the Germans of today are not the same people (as in persons, not as in nation) that condoned the holocaust?

ETA: I see now you asked the same question above.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2021, 08:14:19 PM »
That letter was written 50 years ago. Is there any point at which we can say that the Germans of today are not the same people (as in persons, not as in nation) that condoned the holocaust?

ETA: I see now you asked the same question above.
Moreover, I do not think than anyone seriously believes that the Germany of today is entirely different from the Germany of two decades ago.
Do you think it's different?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2021, 09:21:47 PM »
Do you think it's different?

https://nypost.com/2021/05/19/the-last-living-wwii-era-german-nazis-have-shockingly-few-regrets

Also, look at the "about us" section of various German brands and see how they deal with their past.
-- Dan

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 10:46:05 PM by yungermanchik »
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2021, 10:58:50 PM »
Not a car company, but another famous German brand:
https://www.bosch.com/stories/resistance-to-hitler-bosch-circle/
https://www.bosch.com/stories/robert-bosch-liberal-politics-and-social-responsibility/
Bosch took full advantage of the nazi regime and forced labor. Braun on the other hand supposedly helped save people from deportation and was anti nazi Germany.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline yungermanchik

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2021, 11:13:14 PM »
Bosch took full advantage of the nazi regime and forced labor. Braun on the other hand supposedly helped save people from deportation and was anti nazi Germany.
The jury is still out on Bosch. He seems to have strong resistance to the Nazi regime.. until a point, whereupon he caved.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Bosch#Third_Reich
Some claim he used his factory to save as many of the "laborers" as he could, but it is still unclear.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.