Author Topic: Planning a Japanese and Hawaiian Vacation  (Read 841 times)

Offline GTR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Planning a Japanese and Hawaiian Vacation
« on: May 08, 2016, 04:28:36 PM »
I am planning a trip to Hawaii and Japan for January 2017.  I know this is a long way away but i wanted to see if anyone had any routing suggestions in addition to the two i thought of and will be searching for regularly.

Details - i have approx. 120k AA, 260k UR, 60k UA, 30k MR.  The trip is for 2 people, flying a premium product originating in NYC and going to HI (any island) and Tokyo.  We'd prefer to go to HI at the end and Japan first, but not steadfast on that if availability (or a better deal) dictates.  One additional wrinkle is that were probably going to go to Vancouver this fall, before the feature trip. 

Heres what i came up with:

Option One - UA metal itinerary NYC to NRT with a free HNL stop on the way home.  260k UA.  Simple and cheap.. Doesnt incorporate YVR and im kinda tired of flying UA in J. 

Option 2 - NYC to LAX somehow, LAX to NRT in SQ F, NRT to HNL on UA, HNL to EWR on UA booked w/SQ.  About 350-400k (depending on the class of NYC to LAX).  More expensive (both c+p), extra time... Also doesnt inc YVR, fly a product ive never experience.

Can i take a free stop on UA RT that originates in Asia (maybe take a later flight to Asia or Australia or Oceana since those regions combine with Asia?  I realize that would add another 130k UA (for Asia)... Doubt i could convince wife to add this if its even a workable option.

Please feel free to pick apart, suggest other options, point out where im missing some huge opportunity... If theres something im missing ill accept hints as well if you dont want to give away the farm... Just trying to get my creative juices jumpstarted.

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a Japanese and Hawaiian Vacation
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 06:09:54 PM »
I am planning a trip to Hawaii and Japan for January 2017.  I know this is a long way away but i wanted to see if anyone had any routing suggestions in addition to the two i thought of and will be searching for regularly.

Details - i have approx. 120k AA, 260k UR, 60k UA, 30k MR.  The trip is for 2 people, flying a premium product originating in NYC and going to HI (any island) and Tokyo.  We'd prefer to go to HI at the end and Japan first, but not steadfast on that if availability (or a better deal) dictates.  One additional wrinkle is that were probably going to go to Vancouver this fall, before the feature trip. 

Heres what i came up with:

Option One - UA metal itinerary NYC to NRT with a free HNL stop on the way home.  260k UA.  Simple and cheap.. Doesnt incorporate YVR and im kinda tired of flying UA in J. 

Option 2 - NYC to LAX somehow, LAX to NRT in SQ F, NRT to HNL on UA, HNL to EWR on UA booked w/SQ.  About 350-400k (depending on the class of NYC to LAX).  More expensive (both c+p), extra time... Also doesnt inc YVR, fly a product ive never experience.

Can i take a free stop on UA RT that originates in Asia (maybe take a later flight to Asia or Australia or Oceana since those regions combine with Asia?  I realize that would add another 130k UA (for Asia)... Doubt i could convince wife to add this if its even a workable option.

Please feel free to pick apart, suggest other options, point out where im missing some huge opportunity... If theres something im missing ill accept hints as well if you dont want to give away the farm... Just trying to get my creative juices jumpstarted.

Why not ANA F to Japan for 100k SQ?

Offline GTR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a Japanese and Hawaiian Vacation
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »
Thanks Kang, going to look into it.  That would cause the return to cost 5k more UA too, instead of a 65k UA from Japan w/ stopover it'd be a 40k NRT - HNL and a 30k SQ on UA from HNL to EWR.  Still a very good option.

I see also that JAL business is 60k AA/ea.  ANA F is far superior?