Author Topic: How many students did Rabbi Akiva have in total?  (Read 5377 times)

Offline jackofall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: How many students did Rabbi Akiva have in total?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »
The full quote is:which basically means that much of how we pasken (the halacha generally accords with the סתם) comes from R' Akiva, and through those 5 later talmidim. That's something to celebrate too.
IIRC its more than just how we pasken, it is that most of the torah shel bal-peh that we have comes from R' Akiva. In chasiddus he is called the "Av" of torah shel bal-peh.
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 07:39:06 PM »
IIRC its more than just how we pasken, it is that most of the torah shel bal-peh that we have comes from R' Akiva. In chasiddus he is called the "Av" of torah shel bal-peh.
The source for which is what I quoted above, which specifies סתם משנה, סתם תוספתא, etc. And the importance of סתם is regarding פסק.

Offline Yehuda25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2016, 09:41:40 PM »
Just heard (from another YU person), that R Henkin writes that the 24 thousand were involved in the bar kochva revolt and the whole lo nohagu kovod is just a cover up because Chazal were afraid of the Romans.

-radical chidush imho.
source for that?
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:14 PM »
source for that?
There are apparently several different - I don't wanna say minor, but certainly not famous - sources brought down here:
http://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/26881/is-there-any-evidence-that-rabbi-akivas-students-fought-alongside-bar-kochba
Including links to the shiur in which R Hershel Schachter quotes R Henkin on this matter. Read through all the answers, there are some lesser mentions of the idea from others as well.

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 12:41:37 AM »
There are apparently several different - I don't wanna say minor, but certainly not famous - sources brought down here:
http://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/26881/is-there-any-evidence-that-rabbi-akivas-students-fought-alongside-bar-kochba
Including links to the shiur in which R Hershel Schachter quotes R Henkin on this matter. Read through all the answers, there are some lesser mentions of the idea from others as well.
very interesting, thanks!
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
These are not really sources. At best I would call this a recent theory.
It's against straight forward Chazals as they have been traditionally understood for centuries. I have no idea what great kasha this theory is coming to settle either.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
These are not really sources. At best I would call this a recent theory.
It's against straight forward Chazals as they have been traditionally understood for centuries. I have no idea what great kasha this theory is coming to settle either.
Of course they're sources, and of course it's recent theory. Did you think this was gonna be something explicit in Yerushalmi, or in rishonim, and you'd never heard of it till now? It's an interesting historical theory, with no real bearing on any practical matter. Don't know why you seem bothered by it.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »
Of course they're sources, and of course it's recent theory. Did you think this was gonna be something explicit in Yerushalmi, or in rishonim, and you'd never heard of it till now? It's an interesting historical theory, with no real bearing on any practical matter. Don't know why you seem bothered by it.

Not enough? All the lessons we have been taught about nohagu kovod are based on a cover up? I don't like it, and definitely don't buy it.

I have no idea what the motive to turn the tragedy into some kind of heroistic lost battle was. As you said, it has no bearing on anything, besides that they are taking Chazals "with a grain of salt" (CV).

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 11:04:16 AM »

Not enough? All the lessons we have been taught about nohagu kovod are based on a cover up? I don't like it, and definitely don't buy it.

I have no idea what the motive to turn the tragedy into some kind of heroistic lost battle was. As you said, it has no bearing on anything, besides that they are taking Chazals "with a grain of salt" (CV).
It's not against anything, they all seem to be attempting to give their explanations within the framework of those gemaras - although obviously not the pashut pshat in them. Is this the first time you've seen a far-fetched pshat to explain a gemara (even if that gemara can be understood perfectly weel on a simple level)?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 11:06:50 AM »

It's not against anything, they all seem to be attempting to give their explanations within the framework of those gemaras - although obviously not the pashut pshat in them. Is this the first time you've seen a far-fetched pshat to explain a gemara (even if that gemara can be understood perfectly weel on a simple level)?

Generally that is done to answer a kasha or provide an insight.

Anyway, it's ok. I'm not gonna burn the place down over this.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 02:36:07 PM »
IINM there are some similar ideas from RH with implications for israeli policy...