Author Topic: EL AL  (Read 671009 times)

Offline yandmk

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
Re: Elal airlines
« Reply #580 on: July 12, 2018, 05:40:51 PM »
I would like to fly EWR-TLV and as of now there are no PE available for that day in November. Do these normally open up?
There is available space in PE on EVERY SINGLE flight from EWR this coming Nov. And if you're referring to award space, there are only 4 dates in Nov that don't have award space in PE from EWR. The rest of the month is wide open.
Not sure where you're searching.

Offline travelplus

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 13, 2018, 02:36:04 AM »
Sounds like flying United SFO TLV is better than LY. I think United shkuld add a 1 PM flight and cancel the LY balagan flight and bring fares down.

Offline yanks10952

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 13, 2018, 09:05:58 AM »
There is available space in PE on EVERY SINGLE flight from EWR this coming Nov. And if you're referring to award space, there are only 4 dates in Nov that don't have award space in PE from EWR. The rest of the month is wide open.
Not sure where you're searching.

Sorry , yes I am trying to use an award do these open up sometimes?

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 13, 2018, 09:19:52 AM »
Sorry , yes I am trying to use an award do these open up sometimes?
Sometimes

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #584 on: July 13, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
Sounds like flying United SFO TLV is better than LY. I think United shkuld add a 1 PM flight and cancel the LY balagan flight and bring fares down.
LY picked a losing battle with SFO.

United should add 3 more daily flights from both SFO and EWR so that fares could be rock bottom.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:59 AM »
LY picked a losing battle with SFO.

United should add 3 more daily flights from both SFO and EWR so that fares could be rock bottom.
LY pulling out of SFO, will not cause fares to drop.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #586 on: July 13, 2018, 10:46:01 AM »
LY pulling out of SFO, will not cause fares to drop.
There were two separate, and distinct parts to my post. First sentence was serious, second was sarcastic.
-- Dan

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #587 on: July 15, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
I came across an interview of LY's chief digital officer.. they should have appointed him CEO.. he's completely aware of the poor situation LY is in

https://video.fsdv1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t42.9040-2/10000000_258331918306825_9084810778363559936_n.mp4?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJybHIiOjM4OCwicmxhIjo0MDk2LCJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=21be9627d1442ea0fda186926cb2387c&oe=5B4B9926

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 15, 2018, 12:11:51 PM »
Interesting sentence that I noticed in this article. This must be the answer to the million dollar question of why El Al isn't part of any of the 3 big alliances.

https://www.globes.co.il/news/article.aspx?did=1001244431
מספיק שלא נותנים לי להצטרף לאף ברית של חברות תעופה כי יושבות שם חברות ערביות.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 15, 2018, 03:48:28 PM »
Interesting sentence that I noticed in this article. This must be the answer to the million dollar question of why El Al isn't part of any of the 3 big alliances.

https://www.globes.co.il/news/article.aspx?did=1001244431
מספיק שלא נותנים לי להצטרף לאף ברית של חברות תעופה כי יושבות שם חברות ערביות.

Just an excuse. Only Arab airline in Star Alliance is Egypt Air, and with Egypt Israel has a peace treaty.
-- Dan

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 15, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »

Just an excuse. Only Arab airline in Star Alliance is Egypt Air, and with Egypt Israel has a peace treaty.
Egypt Air probably doesn't have much leverage either way.
Maybe TK doesn't like it?

@Dan Did this come up in your conversation with LY?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:06:16 PM by shapsam »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 15, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »
Egypt Air probably doesn't have much leverage either way.
Maybe TK doesn't like it?

@Dan Did this come up in your conversation with LY?
TK aren't Arab.

I don't know the mechanics or politics of how alliances function, and whether TK could block LY from joining StarAlliance. I doubt TK sees LY as a threat on connecting flights, there's just no comparison when it comes to the network size and reach.
-- Dan

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 15, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »
TK aren't Arab.

I don't know the mechanics or politics of how alliances function, and whether TK could block LY from joining StarAlliance. I doubt TK sees LY as a threat on connecting flights, there's just no comparison when it comes to the network size and reach.
I don't know if TK is able to stop them or not, but it's no secret that TK and LY hate each other. El Al cannot stomach the fact that TK is allowed to fly into Israel, while El Al isn't allowed to fly into Istanbul (which I agree isn't very fair). And TK has 9 daily nonstop flights to TLV so they can fight El Al on almost every route with cheap connection options. They're even adding a tenth daily flight now.
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-turkish-airlines-adding-tenth-daily-flight-from-tel-aviv-1001245958
I don't believe there is any other carrier that has even half that amount of daily flights into TLV from a single destination.
El Al is pretty verbal about it too, as mentioned in the above article
אבל מי קהל היעד? מי ההארד קור?
"אני אגיד לכן מי לא: אני לא יכול להתמודד עם חברה כמו טורקיש, שלוקחת אנשים מישראל, שמה אותם בהאב ומטיסה אותם לארצות-הברית, כל החבילה ב-700 דולר. אנחנו לא מסוגלים כי לא נותנים לאל-על לנחות באיסטנבול. בטיסות הישירות, פוינט טו פוינט, אנו מתמודדים מול כל החברות".
המחירים של אל-על ירדו בהתאמה למחירים של החברות האלה?
"אל-על הפחיתה מחירים ומנסה להתחרות, היא לא מצליחה להגיע אחד לאחד בחלק מהנתיבים, בטח במזרח. אבל לא מולן אני מתמודד, אלא מול דלתא ומול יונייטד (הטיסות לניו-יורק, הקו הרווחי ביותר של אל-על). יש בסוף עלויות לחברה מערבית שלא נתמכת על-ידי המדינה, ועם זה אנו מתמודדים".

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 15, 2018, 05:37:36 PM »
I don't know if TK is able to stop them or not, but it's no secret that TK and LY hate each other. El Al cannot stomach the fact that TK is allowed to fly into Israel, while El Al isn't allowed to fly into Istanbul (which I agree isn't very fair). And TK has 9 daily nonstop flights to TLV so they can fight El Al on almost every route with cheap connection options. They're even adding a tenth daily flight now.
https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-turkish-airlines-adding-tenth-daily-flight-from-tel-aviv-1001245958
I don't believe there is any other carrier that has even half that amount of daily flights into TLV from a single destination.
El Al is pretty verbal about it too, as mentioned in the above article

LY hates (or is jealous of) TK, not sure it goes the other way.

I just did a Google search to find out how come LY doesn't fly to IST, and found out that it's an Israeli security issue https://www.globes.co.il/news/article.aspx?did=1000521175.

Read the sentence carefully, he's complaining about his inability to compete with TK that runs a huge hub at IST, and is able to be competitive to many destinations for people willing to connect. How does LY's inability to compete with TK on a flight to the US (TK flies to more destinations in NA than LY does) have anything to do with the inability to land in IST? It's mixing up two irrelevant issues, the inability to compete on the TLV-IST route (which is very high traffic, not so much due to point-to-point travel but rather as a connection hub - 85% of traffic is a commonly used figure).

ETA: I just went back and read through the article I just posted until the end, and found the following paragraph which I found laughable:

על-פי המתוכנן, בשלב הבא מתכוונת אל-על להפוך את נתב"ג ל"האב", ולהטיס אליו באמצעות חברת אטלס ג'ט תיירים טורקיים שיגיעו מאיסטנבול לנתב"ג, וימשיכו מכאן בטיסות אל-על ליעדים דוגמת ארה"ב או המזרח הרחוק, שאליהם לא טסה אטלס ג'ט.

Seriously? LY is hoping that TLV should become a hub for Turkish travelers that would flock to Atlas for flights to points served by LY?  ::) ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:50:14 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 15, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
Seriously? LY is hoping that TLV should become a hub for Turkish travelers that would flock to Atlas for flights to points served by LY?  ::) ::) ::) ::)
I don't think Turkish was in 2009 what it is today
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:20:18 PM by yandmk »

Offline yandmk

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 15, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
Triple the passengers, triple the fleet size and about double the destinations.
Source: Wikipedia

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 15, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »
I think you might have misunderstood what I wrote. I wasn’t referring to TK passengers when I wrote “Turkish travelers”, but rather I was quoting the article that was talking about ELAL hoping that tourists originating from Turkey, wanting to travel on Atlas, would have access to LY’s network.

While TK definitely grew (and Atlas might have also), I doubt whether anyone ever booked a flight on Atlas to connect to an onward LY flight from the TLV hub.
-- Dan

Offline yanks10952

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 18, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »
Currently there are no award tickets available to premium economy when i want to go. I I book an award economy ticket will I be able to upgrade that to premium economy if it open up and how many points will it cost?

Offline US

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 18, 2018, 10:29:24 AM »
Currently there are no award tickets available to premium economy when i want to go. I I book an award economy ticket will I be able to upgrade that to premium economy if it open up and how many points will it cost?
No, you'll need to cancel and book the PE.

Offline yanks10952

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 19, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »
I tried to find if it has been talked about but could not find it sorry if its a repost

I am flying first ELAL 747 (normally go United) and according to Seat Guru 35K is very good as there is no seat in front and it has a window? Am I missing something it seems pretty good? Can i get out without going over the other two people in my row?