Author Topic: EL AL  (Read 652274 times)

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Elal airlines
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2016, 07:36:46 PM »
To be perfectly fair, I've always had a pleasant flight with El Al, even in economy. Their 747s are nice and big, and the food is very decent (though I still can't remember to eat the pita with my hummus until it's halfway gone).
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2016, 10:05:15 PM »
Right it was  2-2-2    http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/El_Al/El_Al_Boeing_777-200_B.php

When I finished the main course they brought me warm pastries from the oven and a chocolate cake with melted chocolate running.

I just hope they partner up one day with someone that it will cheaper then matmid.
Did you care about Kashrus/Hashgocho on those hot pastries and melted chocolate, or was it just part of their standard?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2016, 10:15:32 PM »
To be perfectly fair, I've always had a pleasant flight with El Al, even in economy. Their 747s are nice and big, and the food is very decent (though I still can't remember to eat the pita with my hummus until it's halfway gone).
I don't choose an airline by the food (I bring my own or figure out something, I can last a day without the best food] or by the size of their planes (though unless flying J or F, a 747/A380 is a disadvantage IMHO, as there are simply more passengers and luggage, which result in longer lines).

What's important with an airline is that it gets me safely and comfortably from point A to point B, while treating me in a decent manner, and owning up to mess ups when they happen. [opportunity for free travel is a nice perk with some weight).

In MY experience, ELAL fails miserably (in Y) on both comfort (they are known to pack more rows than most other airlines, no lie flats in J) and service (Israeli arrogant style). FF program leaves a lot to be desired, though I can't say it never came in handy with family members.
-- Dan

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »
I don't choose an airline by the food (I bring my own or figure out something, I can last a day without the best food] or by the size of their planes (though unless flying J or F, a 747/A380 is a disadvantage IMHO, as there are simply more passengers and luggage, which result in longer lines).

What's important with an airline is that it gets me safely and comfortably from point A to point B, while treating me in a decent manner, and owning up to mess ups when they happen. [opportunity for free travel is a nice perk with some weight).

In MY experience, ELAL fails miserably (in Y) on both comfort (they are known to pack more rows than most other airlines, no lie flats in J) and service (Israeli arrogant style). FF program leaves a lot to be desired, though I can't say it never came in handy with family members.

I find the 747 to be fine in economy, and got a free flight out of them because of a delay. And yes, having good food and not being forced to schlep your own makes a big difference.

Offline MEIR613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2016, 11:57:49 PM »
The main problem with LY F is their beds.

They are extremly not comfortable.

You won't get a good night sleep like you would on most of the European and Asian carries.

Everything else (service, food etc) is excelent.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2016, 11:58:59 PM »
I find the 747 to be fine in economy, and got a free flight out of them because of a delay. And yes, having good food and not being forced to schlep your own makes a big difference.
Wow. Given this:
I'm size 13 3E.
I would have thought you are vertically challenged (aka pretty tall) which would strike me as a real surprise to find LY economy comfortable (unless you always get the row at the exit door).
-- Dan

Offline ABC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2016, 05:29:54 AM »
Did you care about Kashrus/Hashgocho on those hot pastries and melted chocolate, or was it just part of their standard?

This came with the strictly kosher meal
Quote from: MEIR613
link=topic=47211.msg1532755#msg1532755 date=1470887869
The main problem with LY F is their beds.

They are extremly not comfortable.

You won't get a good night sleep like you would on most of the European and Asian carries.

But elal has the best timing, I left 1am and landed in lax at  6am so easier to sleep.
I did a few times LH F, their flights leave early morning that means only few hours sleep at night you come to the airport in middle if your sleep, you get on to a small plane those seats are narrower then any economy that flies direct to NY, you fly 4 hours in a terrible economy.

And when traveling NYC-TLV. I had a flight once 6pm (on the old 747 seat with bed) but didn't sleep a thing I wasn't tired that time of day.
Then on the next flight I was exhausted because it was already midnight for me and slept on those small economy seats head falling from side to side.

We are talking about TLV to North America, so no Asian airlines.
Please explain which airline you mean.

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2016, 06:44:30 AM »
Wow. Given this: I would have thought you are vertically challenged (aka pretty tall) which would strike me as a real surprise to find LY economy comfortable (unless you always get the row at the exit door).

I only have an issue with the 777 they fly to EWR. Those are too tight. Otherwise, the legroom doesn't bother me. I simply don't put anything under the seat in front of me and stretch my legs out in front of me.

Online tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2016, 07:20:07 AM »
What I don't like in LY F is the 2x2 layout in 747 and 2x2x2 in 777.

I prefer the 1x2x1 in DL and try to get the solo seats.

Food-wise, I couldn't agree more that it's hard to beat LY when you keep kosher; although LY recently started these themed meals instead of the classics (I had pad-thai this month) - not so great..

Online elya

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2016, 07:22:46 AM »
Im lost trying to understand the whole food discussion on LY. For those of us that keep Kosher, "Special Kosher" meals ex-NYC is standard Regal!

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
Im lost trying to understand the whole food discussion on LY. For those of us that keep Kosher, "Special Kosher" meals ex-NYC is standard Regal!

U wouldn't believe it but there are those who eat the standard kosher LY meals ex-NYC!

Offline ABC

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »

I flew ex TLV.   and I ordered  כשר למהדרין
I don't know how it works ex NYC.

Online elya

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
I flew ex TLV.   and I ordered  כשר למהדרין
I don't know how it works ex NYC.
Ex-NYC is Def the standard Regal meal that every other airline serves. (when you go into your booking to order the meals, they changed the option from "strictly Kosher" to "Regal")

Ex-TLV it's not the standard pre-packaged Badatz?

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »
Ex-NYC is Def the standard Regal meal that every other airline serves. (when you go into your booking to order the meals, they changed the option from "strictly Kosher" to "Regal")

No, its not. It's generally the same meal they are serving for the reg kosher except you don't get as many options. It's also usually fresh as opposed to the frozen that you'd get on LH/AA etc

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »
No, its not. It's generally the same meal they are serving for the reg kosher except you don't get as many options. It's also usually fresh as opposed to the frozen that you'd get on LH/AA etc
Not IME, IIRC...
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline ABC

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2016, 10:04:46 AM »

Ex-TLV it's not the standard pre-packaged Badatz?

Do you call this standard?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/akdq41xm0tieypj/AADvVsphTmtNbCAoHC1Kz_H5a?dl=0

chopped liver...
Breakfast they gave a YELLOW egg + shakshuka + latkas

Online elya

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
Do you call this standard?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/akdq41xm0tieypj/AADvVsphTmtNbCAoHC1Kz_H5a?dl=0

chopped liver...
Breakfast they gave a YELLOW egg + shakshuka + latkas
I was asking, not stating.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2016, 12:24:31 PM »
The difference being that ELAL also allows you to specify "Special Kosher Fish" or "Special Kosher Vegetarian" IIANM. Whereas other airlines will just have one KSML.
-- Dan

Online elya

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »
The difference being that ELAL also allows you to specify "Special Kosher Fish" or "Special Kosher Vegetarian" IIANM. Whereas other airlines will just have one KSML.
But its still Regal, so whats the difference if its inedible fish, or inedible meat?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »
This came with the strictly kosher meal
But elal has the best timing, I left 1am and landed in lax at  6am so easier to sleep.
I did a few times LH F, their flights leave early morning that means only few hours sleep at night you come to the airport in middle if your sleep, you get on to a small plane those seats are narrower then any economy that flies direct to NY, you fly 4 hours in a terrible economy.
EX-TLV you have DL and UA with a night flight arriving NYC in early AM with lie-flat beds. DL TLV-NYC was the best sleep experience I've ever had (followed by AA TLV-PHL עליו השלום).

And when traveling NYC-TLV. I had a flight once 6pm (on the old 747 seat with bed) but didn't sleep a thing I wasn't tired that time of day.
Then on the next flight I was exhausted because it was already midnight for me and slept on those small economy seats head falling from side to side.
NYC-TLV only LY and UA have an early afternoon flight that works decently (under the circumstances of travel time and time differences) on this route. DL had a flight for a while, but they are axing it. Otherwise I would probably try LX (or occasionally TK) for a wide body connection in Europe to TLV.
-- Dan