Author Topic: EL AL  (Read 670469 times)

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: EL AL
« Reply #1960 on: May 23, 2021, 06:51:27 AM »
Chairman Brodet resigns.. not really sure goals he's referring to..  ::)

"I set goals for myself, and I'm happy to say that they have been achieved accordingly. As far as I'm concerned, my period of reserve duty has come to an end," Brodet wrote..

IMHO likely to be replaced by Rozenberg

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1396366110828683269?s=19
his goals likely were to milk the company for as much $ as possible, for as long as possible

Offline tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #1961 on: May 23, 2021, 06:53:27 AM »
his goals likely were to milk the company for as much $ as possible, for as long as possible
Why stop now then?

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: May 23, 2021, 10:37:13 AM »
He has a good PR agency.. managed to turn the story into: I saved LY, turned it around, now is a good time to retire  :o :o

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1963 on: May 23, 2021, 10:40:55 AM »
He has a good PR agency.. managed to turn the story into: I saved LY, turned it around, now is a good time to retire  :o :o

ALOL!

The inertia in El Al to oppose systemic change and taking risks despite years of losses is astounding. All all Israeli companies like that or what's the reason for it?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #1964 on: May 23, 2021, 10:50:05 AM »
ALOL!

The inertia in El Al to oppose systemic change and taking risks despite years of losses is astounding. All all Israeli companies like that or what's the reason for it?

They really are all like that, except for the Western/U.S. facing startups (but accordingly, they aren't really players with local consumers).  I quit my last job after less than a year due to this same mentality in management - I felt it was such a massive step backwards in my professional development.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1965 on: May 23, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
They really are all like that, except for the Western/U.S. facing startups (but accordingly, they aren't really players with local consumers).  I quit my last job after less than a year due to this same mentality in management - I felt it was such a massive step backwards in my professional development.
That's a shame, but good for you!
Modern US companies seem to realize that without risk taking and adapting they will wind up like Sears. Even stodgy banks and airlines here get that and are always innovating.

I was really hoping new management would bring an end to that and ditching the old guard seemed like it might just happen, but I guess it's even more systemic than I thought. Oh well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: May 23, 2021, 10:55:51 AM »

I was really hoping new management would bring an end to that and ditching the old guard seemed like it might just happen, but I guess it's even more systemic than I thought. Oh well.
To be fair, firing a third of the workforce and getting a lifeline for the Government are two major milestones, but it's really just allowing LY to stay in business near term, and looking ahead every still needs to be fixed, including turning Matmid around and rethinking the network strategy and go-to market

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: May 23, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »
To be fair, firing a third of the workforce and getting a lifeline for the Government are two major milestones, but it's really just allowing LY to stay in business near term, and looking ahead every still needs to be fixed, including turning Matmid around and rethinking the network strategy and go-to market
Right, but those moves were practically required.
As for Matmid, network, and strategy...can't fix what doesn't want to be fixed  ::) :-X

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: May 23, 2021, 11:05:27 AM »
Right, but those moves were practically required.
They were totally required, but still a major accomplishment per Israeli standard

As for Matmid, network, and strategy...can't fix what doesn't want to be fixed  ::) :-X
When you started asking questions about Matmid, i was truly hoping they had hired you as a consultant.. oh well

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #1969 on: May 23, 2021, 11:05:39 AM »

Offline yandmk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: May 23, 2021, 11:06:34 AM »
I wonder if the current financial state of the airline is holding them back a lot.
For example, all the US airlines that are taking them on, in the US - TLV market, can afford to take a loss if they don't succeed. It isn't more than a drop in the bucket for them. LY on the other hand, can't just take those risks (e. g. launch ORD when demand is low) because they don't have the money to play on.

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: May 23, 2021, 11:19:20 AM »
I'm on a FB group with many frequent flyers and recently they interact there alot with customers, they set up some meet ups, in person and digital to discuss changes. But not anything as broad as revamping the entire matmid...
It's a public group btw, belongs to a Israeli travel, air industry, and cc blogger, FlyingOut.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: May 23, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
When you started asking questions about Matmid, i was truly hoping they had hired you as a consultant.. oh well
I wish I had better news or that I could share actual details, of which there's quite a lot.

My problem is multifold, my time/headspace is valuable, I'm not willing to make aliya at this point in my life (though I'd be open to commuting for a period of time), I would want at least some level of automony to make changes or at least be on board with people who understand the need to innovate, adapt, and take risks to win big.

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: May 23, 2021, 11:26:47 AM »
I'm on a FB group with many frequent flyers and recently they interact there alot with customers, they set up some meet ups, in person and digital to discuss changes. But not anything as broad as revamping the entire matmid...
It's a public group btw, belongs to a Israeli travel, air industry, and cc blogger, FlyingOut.
I'm part of that group, and others. The main issue IMHO is that I feel the constructive feedback doesn't get to top management, and that there isn't enough motivation to make change happen.

As one of their long time 'loyal' customer I've received countless calls over the years from heads of marketing / sales etc, they never manage to implement any of it.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: May 23, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
I wish I had better news or that I could share actual details, of which there's quite a lot.

My problem is multifold, my time/headspace is valuable, I'm not willing to make aliya at this point in my life (though I'd be open to commuting for a period of time), I would want at least some level of automony to make changes or at least be on board with people who understand the need to innovate, adapt, and take risks to win big.
So an offer was made?

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: May 23, 2021, 11:29:27 AM »
I'm part of that group, and others. The main issue IMHO is that I feel the constructive feedback doesn't get to top management, and that there isn't enough motivation to make change happen.

As one of their long time 'loyal' customer I've received countless calls over the years from heads of marketing / sales etc, they never manage to implement any of it.
Interesting to hear. I think the main boon there is they can help in specific issues- it's a good way to reach them.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 23, 2021, 11:30:24 AM »

I have direct lines to all of the people at the top, so you can keep posting in the thread I opened.

I do think Avigal gets it despite his inexperience in commercial aviation, but has massive financial constraints which will hinder the ability to bring on talent and make changes. Though I would have loved to see a US aviation alum brought in as his number 2 to turn things around.

Replacing Lior and Gal with Ronen...<shrug>

Offline tavster

• View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 23, 2021, 12:10:59 PM »

You seem to be referring to full-time management positions.
Isn't there room for part time consulting?
Or a seat on the board?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: May 23, 2021, 12:21:08 PM »
You seem to be referring to full-time management positions.
Isn't there room for part time consulting?
Or a seat on the board?
Sure, but I'm picky.
It would either need to financially lucrative or be professionally rewarding for me (read: have some ability to reshape things or at least have an honest discussion about reshaping things) to have an interest in that.

Offline moe8555

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #1979 on: May 23, 2021, 01:52:00 PM »

Can you comment on the U.S. credit card offering? Why are they not opening apps to the general public?  Will they consider any of the value-add suggestions I made, like adding a pair of lounge passes?