Author Topic: Air Serbia  (Read 7059 times)

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Air Serbia
« on: May 16, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »
is this airline safe? anyone have past experience with them?
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Air Serbia
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »
is this airline safe? anyone have past experience with them?
Safe in which sense?
Unlikely for your pilot to he minor or for you to get lynched.

Offline shmuelb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 05:04:43 PM »
Safe in which sense?
Unlikely for your pilot to he minor or for you to get lynched.
Wow, that is reassuring, and respectful!

Any more info? It is showing up as cheapest flights Aug 15 -Aug 25 TLV - NYC.
siyag lachachma :-)

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 05:15:59 PM »

Any more info?
what kind of info?

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Plat, AAdvantage, Elal Matmid, Southwest, Delta Silver Medallion Skymiles, Hertz #1 Gold 5 Star, National Emerald Club Executive.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »
Is it as safe as SVO / DME / BRU / IST / CAI /AMM? Would a religiously dressed person feel comfortable there (Jewish)?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 05:45:32 PM »
I don't think anybody would consider CAI safe these days
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 05:59:33 PM »
I understand, I mean where would Bosnia airlines and airport rate, based on fellow travelers and staff... ?

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 08:06:29 AM »
Air Serbia just got an their first A330 and will start flying to NY.
I did have a few clients few weeks ago that spend shabbos in BEG and flew Air Serbia to get there, no complaints

Offline Tom Brady

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Ritz Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 07:37:33 AM »
I disagree, and when someone with common sense looks at the numbers, I think they would disagree as well.

I don't know why I compiled this, because I thought most travel enthusiasts, and especially people on DDF, were aware of this, but for the people who aren't, here you go:

As far as I can tell from researching online, the last time someone was killed from a flight departing Cairo, was in 2002 when a flight crash landed in Tunisia due to heavy fog. As far as the incident this month; say it was the fault of Cairo airport and say that an incident like that is due to happen monthly, that would still account for less then 8 deaths per 100k people departing Cairo Airport per year. By comparison, in 2014 in the US, 15 different causes of death occurred more frequently than that. A few include: heart disease at #1 with 193 deaths per 100k, accidents at #4 with 43 deaths per 100k, and suicide at #11 with 13 deaths per 100k.

When taking those numbers into account, it would seem that the risk of transiting Cairo airport by air, (and probably just about any airport for that matter,) is way less than the risk of getting killed in an accident in our daily lives, or dying young from heart desease from being unhealthy.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 07:43:40 AM »
I disagree, and when someone with common sense looks at the numbers, I think they would disagree as well.

I don't know why I compiled this, because I thought most travel enthusiasts, and especially people on DDF, were aware of this, but for the people who aren't, here you go:

As far as I can tell from researching online, the last time someone was killed from a flight departing Cairo, was in 2002 when a flight crash landed in Tunisia due to heavy fog. As far as the incident this month; say it was the fault of Cairo airport and say that an incident like that is due to happen monthly, that would still account for less then 8 deaths per 100k people departing Cairo Airport per year. By comparison, in 2014 in the US, 15 different causes of death occurred more frequently than that. A few include: heart disease at #1 with 193 deaths per 100k, accidents at #4 with 43 deaths per 100k, and suicide at #11 with 13 deaths per 100k.

When taking those numbers into account, it would seem that the risk of transiting Cairo airport by air, (and probably just about any airport for that matter,) is way less than the risk of getting killed in an accident in our daily lives, or dying young from heart desease from being unhealthy.
Your logic is skewed. Air travel safety is relative and should not be compared to other causes of death. Tell me the amount of deaths and injury pertaining to CAI airport airport relative to other International airports. And then take into account those that have to do with airline safety and those with airport safety.

Offline Tom Brady

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 07:54:43 AM »
Your logic is skewed. Air travel safety is relative and should not be compared to other causes of death.
Why? If someone doesn't worry daily about getting killed in an accident, why should he worry about getting killed in an attack when transiting a specific airport, when the odds of getting killed in an attack are many times less likely than getting killed in an accident?

I'm sure the odds are even less likely when transiting YYZ for example but I don't see why anyone would take that into account, when the odds of something happening when transiting CAI are already so slim, that the odds are an amount that people don't worry about.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:26 AM »
Why? If someone doesn't worry daily about getting killed in an accident, why should he worry about getting killed in an attack when transiting a specific airport, when the odds of getting killed in an attack are many times less likely than getting killed in an accident?

I'm sure the odds are even less likely when transiting YYZ for example but I don't see why anyone would take that into account, when the odds of something happening when transiting CAI are already so slim, that the odds are an amount that people don't worry about.
I'm not sure I'm going to get anywhere arguing with a guy who would turn down a girl if she wouldn't fly through Arab countries so I'll stop.

Offline Tom Brady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 08:22:59 AM »
I'm not sure I'm going to get anywhere arguing with a guy who would turn down a girl if she wouldn't fly through Arab countries so I'll stop.
What I said was all numbers. In other words, I stated facts as to why no one who looks into the numbers should think that CAI is unsafe, and not my personal opinions.

I was actually a little surprised at the numbers when I looked into them. I was wondering if the numbers would show that it was in fact unsafe to transit CAI, in which case I would have to put a pause on any future plans to do so. After looking at the numbers, I saw that there was (thankfully ;))  no reason for concern.

If you're worried about transiting through CAI because you think you may get harassed because you look Jewish, is another story entirely. We're talking about the concern of having a bomb smuggled into the airport, or onto a plane, which assumedly is the same concern whether people think you are Jewish or not.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »
You're comparing deaths per traveller vs deaths per person. The logic is clearly off. The event of traveling through Cairo airport occurs once while having a heart is a constant. Additionally, you are comparing necessary risks vs unnecessary risks
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 10:38:17 AM »
Air Serbia just got an their first A330 and will start flying to NY.
I did have a few clients few weeks ago that spend shabbos in BEG and flew Air Serbia to get there, no complaints

Same price with or without stopover?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Tom Brady

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 10:42:08 AM »
You're comparing deaths per traveller vs deaths per person. The logic is clearly off.
You're right, though for the most part I don't see how that makes a difference in my logic. Even with the number of 8 deaths per 100k, which is well rounded up, you can transit CAI as a passenger 5 times yearly, and the odds of getting killed will still be less than the 43 deaths from accidents per 100k.

Offline shmuelb

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 04:13:31 AM »
I was referring to transiting there while looking Jewish. You can talk about the gasket quality but if it is dangerous for me to fly through there l'maase, and referring back to BEG airport and airline, how would that be, taking into consideration my looks...? Thanks!

Thanks for the statistics. :) PlatinumGuy maybe was referring to all passengers, even arabic looking ones.

You can still be comparing apples and boxing. You can compare miles per death to show how driving 5k miles contrasts to flying 5k miles...

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 04:05:36 PM »
its been quite some time since the last post here, but w high fares to tlv, i am considering air serbia, here's the question:

Did anyone here ACTUALLY FLY air serbia? what was it like? how was stopover? thanks

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »

its been quite some time since the last post here, but w high fares to tlv, i am considering air serbia, here's the question:

Did anyone here ACTUALLY FLY air serbia? what was it like? how was stopover? thanks

I flew it last year and I will he flying it in a week again. I flew premium and was very pleased. Nothing but good experiences.

Offline elimmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
how long was your stop? did u leave the airport?