Author Topic: Spirit vs Ryanair  (Read 3821 times)

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Spirit vs Ryanair
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »
Let's sum it up in this challenge to see which airline is even lower than the other...

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
Re: Spirit vs Ryanair
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 06:41:40 PM »
Ryanair charged £36 ($52) for the use of a wheelchair on their flights.
This charge is no longer applicable, as they risked to be lynched)
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2870422/Ryanair-taken-to-court-over-wheelchair-fee.html

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »
Ryanair :Passengers arriving at the airport without a pre-printed online check-in will have to pay €£70 ($102) for their boarding pass to be re-issued, whilst customers unable to check in luggage online are asked to pay a €100 ($112) fee to do so at the airport.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
What never ceases to amaze me is that people are actually willing to endure this kind of treatment, resulting in Ryanair being one of the most profitable airlines in Europe IIRC.

Ryanair has never come up for a route I needed to take, but paying even $100-$150 over a quoted Spirit price for a route is a no-brainer.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »
Ryanair aircraft have been delivered with non-reclining seats, no seat-back pockets, safety cards stuck on the back of the seats, and life jackets stowed overhead rather than under the seat.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:02:59 PM »
Ryanair wanted to order their aircraft without window shades; however, the new aircraft do have them as it is required by the regulations of the Irish Aviation Authority.
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3489761.stm

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 07:10:54 PM »
Ryanair proposed measures to eliminate two toilets to add six more seats, redesigning the aircraft to allow standing passengers travelling in "vertical seats", charging passengers for using the toilet, charging extra for overweight passengers, and asking passengers to carry their checked-in luggage to the plane.
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5199997/Ryanair-considers-fat-tax-for-obese-air-passengers.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/5430226/Passengers-may-have-to-load-their-own-bags-onto-Ryanair-flights.html)

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:20:15 PM »
They incorporated everything stated in the letter http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=62763.0

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 01:40:46 AM »
They incorporated everything stated in the letter http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=62763.0
I saw this hilarious letter, which gave me the idea.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 04:15:04 AM »
What never ceases to amaze me is that people are actually willing to endure this kind of treatment,
What treatment? this isnt the Gulag.
You get what you pay for and if you do 5 minutes of research it will be totally fine. 70 Euro to check in at the airport is preposterous but is it that hard to click print on your computer when your home? Do you really need that free drink of water on a 1,2 or 3 hr flight and have the inability to purchase it in the airport? Does it bother you grossly that there are no seat back pockets and the life-jackets are overhead instead on below? They are a wonderful service for those who follow the criteria. I personally think the ability to get transported 1000 miles in 2 hrs for less then the cost of a supper is amazing.

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 06:42:37 AM »
What treatment? this isnt the Gulag.
You get what you pay for and if you do 5 minutes of research it will be totally fine. 70 Euro to check in at the airport is preposterous but is it that hard to click print on your computer when your home? Do you really need that free drink of water on a 1,2 or 3 hr flight and have the inability to purchase it in the airport? Does it bother you grossly that there are no seat back pockets and the life-jackets are overhead instead on below? They are a wonderful service for those who follow the criteria. I personally think the ability to get transported 1000 miles in 2 hrs for less then the cost of a supper is amazing.
Oh and what if your suitcases break? What of your delayed? Things out of your control? You are messed up.  No cash back. No sorry.  Nothing.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 06:47:33 AM »
Ryanair allows no connecting flight, so every flight is standalone.
That is true concerning everything from fees till missed next flight for which they are not responsible.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 07:27:36 AM »
Oh and what if your suitcases break? What of your delayed? Things out of your control? You are messed up.  No cash back. No sorry.  Nothing.
Your buying into the fear-mongering rabble-rousing ELAL hating crowd. Granted it may be harder for establish the initial contact at times and the process wont be as simple and there are more T&C but there is what to do in these cases. Its not nearly as bad as the picture you paint. But thats why you get travel insurance and pay with amex.  For that minute (yes, extremely minute) chance of mishap is it worth it to always pay 50,100, or even 1000% more as a safeguard?
I hate Wizzair, LY and Jews just as much as everyone else, im just being a realist and talking from experience.

Offline Zevi16

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 07:28:55 AM »
Your buying into the fear-mongering rabble-rousing ELAL hating crowd. Granted it may be harder for establish the initial contact at times and the process wont be as simple and there are more T&C but there is what to do in these cases. Its not nearly as bad as the picture you paint. But thats why you get travel insurance and pay with amex.  For that minute (yes, extremely minute) chance of mishap is it worth it to always pay 50,100, or even 1000% more as a safeguard?
I just booked 3 tickets with Elal. Some people would prefer to pay more though

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »
IMO the FAA must make minimums that an airline ticket have to include plus limits on surcharges

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
IMO the FAA must make minimums that an airline ticket have to include plus limits on surcharges
That's only USA.

Offline Agoldsc1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »
I always welcome the option to purchase items a la carte as opposed to a fixed package, which is exactly what these discount airlines offer. What advantage do I gain by being essentially forced to pay for luggage, food and drinks, a printed boarding pass, seat-back pockets, etc... with every ticket. Most times, the only benefit I want is safe transportation from point A to point B, which is what these airlines offer.

Would you be happier if every restaurant forced you to pay for an appetizer, beverage, and dessert with every main, or would you rather have the option to purchase them only if you want them?

I have never flown Ryanair, but I've flown Spirit more than a few times, and I was very thankful for the opportunity to fly r/t to FL or CA at a fraction of the cost which the legacy carriers were charging for that route.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 11:22:37 AM »
Charges for drinks etc, no problem.
I've had the site for check-in that was down, sent screenshots, printed screenshots, yet was forced to pay.
Wanting to charge for wheelchairs isn't normal either.

Offline Agoldsc1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
Charges for drinks etc, no problem.
I've had the site for check-in that was down, sent screenshots, printed screenshots, yet was forced to pay.

I agree that exceptions should be made if the site was down, and that a passenger shouldn't be charged to accommodate a disability. But everything else, such as food and seat back pockets, are an optional luxury which don't need to be included with every ticket, IMO.

Offline Emkay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
Although I understand their POV. They sell tickets for £5, why should they be responsible for a 3rd party fee of £36? If anything the airport should cover it. (and now that we fought it, they make even more off it and we all pay for it)