Author Topic: Should US based couples obtain a marriage license and be legally married?  (Read 15390 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
I assume that to most people around here, marriage means חופה וקידושין.

A vast majority of people obtain a marriage license and get legally married.

In quite a few situations, especially if one can control the income flow/split between the couple, such as business owners and other situations, it is financially advantageous not to be married, but rather to file as two singles, a single and head of household once there's one child, and once there are two or more children two heads of household, splitting the dependents between the couple.

Furthermore, with the way the legal system currently defines marriage, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with it.

I have two family members who have followed my advice in recent years, and did not obtain a marriage license. It is working out quite well for them from a financial standpoint. They are protecting each other with life insurance, and I would suggest getting legally married closer to retirement age.

I found the financial benefits so compelling, that I researched and found out that one can get divorced in one day in NH. However, I did ask my mashpia, who advised me not to do so, saying that not getting "legally" married in the first place is different than getting "legally" divorced.

Obviously, some people must get legally married for immigration status, but if that is not an issue, how do people feel about being married בחופה וקידושין without being legally married in the eyes of state and federal law? Is there any legal or halachic problem?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I assume that to most people around here, marriage means חופה וקידושין.

In quite a few situations, especially if one can control the income flow/split between the couple, such as business owners and other situations, it is financially advantageous not to be married, but rather to file as two singles, a single and head of household once there's one child, and once there are two or more children two heads of household, splitting the dependents between the couple.

Furthermore, with the way the legal system currently defines marriage, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with it.

I have two family members who have followed my advice in recent years, and did not obtain a marriage license. It is working out quite well for them from a financial standpoint. They are protecting each other with life insurance, and I would suggest getting legally married closer to retirement age.

I found the financial benefits so compelling, that I researched and found out that one can get divorced in one day in NH. However, I did ask my mashpia, who advised me not to do so, saying that not getting "legally" married in the first place is different than getting "legally" divorced.

Obviously, some people must get legally married for immigration status, but if that is not an issue, how do people feel about being married בחופה וקידושין without being legally married in the eyes of state and federal law? Is there any legal or halachic problem?
Pretty sure that's illegal.

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Pretty sure that's illegal.
It's illegal for me not to be married to my SO that I live with, consider my partner, and have my children with? Pretty sure such a statement is racist.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
It's illegal for me not to be married to my SO that I live with, consider my partner, and have my children with? Pretty sure such a statement is racist.
Not racist just bigoted and judgmentalt, but if you are all the above and also married by a religious figure l then you may be violating a law.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Not racist just bigoted and judgmentalt, but if you are all the above and also married by a religious figure l then you may be violating a law.
Which law?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
So the law depends on a religious ceremony? Is that in violation of the free exercise of religion to require a license to do a religious ceremony?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
Could be tax fraud.
Married persons.   If you are considered married, you and your spouse can file a joint return or separate returns.
Considered married.   You are considered married for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you and your spouse meet any one of the following tests.
You are married and living together.

You are living together in a common law marriage recognized in the state where you now live or in the state where the common law marriage began.

You are married and living apart, but not legally separated under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance.

You are separated under an interlocutory (not final) decree of divorce.

If there are state laws that recognize a religious marriage than maybe that could be considered a common law marriage. - But I doubt it.
I cant see how this can violate tax laws.

But this makes everything not make sense ... https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-13-17.pdf

Offline username

• View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
Most of us got a licence, which alllowed the Rabbi to perform the marriage ceremony. Most of us did not go before a judge and have a civil/legal marriage.
Not sure if it matters.
Sounds like a strong argument.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:54:40 PM by username »
^^^

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
If you are married religiously and consider yourself married then by not getting legally married you are lying to the government about your status. You're a leech and worthless scum.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
Sounds like a strong argument.
Awesome point. The way the legal system says I have to pay taxes is completely against what I think it should be, therefore I have no obligation to pay taxes!
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
If you are married religiously and consider yourself married then by not getting legally married you are lying to the government about your status. You're a leech and worthless scum.

OMG

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
OMG
You want to do it then that's one issue, my problem is that most people doing it are all high and mighty about how great they are and what tzaddikim they are. Whatever happened to דינא דמלכותא דינא?
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline username

• View Profile
Awesome point. The way the legal system says I have to pay taxes is completely against what I think it should be, therefore I have no obligation to pay taxes!
Whatever happened to דינא דמלכותא דינא?
Its not Healthcare. You arent required to get married.
^^^

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
Its not Healthcare. You arent required to get married.
Your required to he honest about your marital status
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline username

• View Profile
Your required to he honest about your marital status
If you have a relegious ceromony, but you neglected to get a licence from the state, you are not legally married.

And if "Marriage" includes the union between two men, then I am not "Married". What I have, and the ceromony that i was part of, is not valid between two men.
^^^

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
If you have a relegious ceromony, but you neglected to get a licence from the state, you are not legally married.
Yet you consider yourself married and love as married people. You tell people your married introduce each other as husband and wife. Your married and you should report as such to the government. The fact your doing it to get money from the government you wouldn't otherwise get erases all valid arguments. That's the only reason they do it. It's total bs and dishonest.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile

And if "Marriage" includes the union between two men, then I am not "Married". What I have, and the ceromony that i was part of, is not valid between two men.

Keep telling yourself what you want but at the end of the day you know, while you may not admit it, that you are scamming the government and don't give a rats ass about the legal definition of marriage. If suddenly married people had taxes cut in half every one of these liars would be running to get married even if marriage included allowing a man to marry his brother.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Keep telling yourself what you want but at the end of the day you know, while you may not admit it, that you are scamming the government and don't give a rats ass about the legal definition of marriage. If suddenly married people had taxes cut in half every one of these liars would be running to get married even if marriage included allowing a man to marry his brother.
There is no ethical, moral, patriotic, halachic or other reason to not practice legal tax avoidance.

Helvering v. Gregory : "Any one
may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes."