Author Topic: Need ideas please  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Miracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Need ideas please
« on: May 30, 2016, 04:53:19 AM »
Hi,

I have a friend who is going through a tough time in his life right now. I am going to visit him in America, Gd willing, next month.  I feel it's important for him to take several days off of work and hope to give him a good time.

Can you DDFers give me some ideas?

Please have in mind while posting that there are certain limitations:

1) Something affordable. I can't spend so much money. Let's say about $300-$400 total (is that possible? I haven't been to America in a while...)
2) He doesn't want something that's more than a 4 hour drive (maybe 5) from Brooklyn (as that's the originating departure)
3) Something for about 3 days, 2 nights. Or something from Friday-Tues (we're observant, so have in mind shabbos..)
4) I have 80k IHG and 80k marriot points if that helps lodging...
5) Not looking for an amusement park. Something more relaxing, like site seeing, hikes, museums, etc.

thanks so much! I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Need ideas please
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 05:05:38 AM »
Hi,

I have a friend who is going through a tough time in his life right now. I am going to visit him in America, Gd willing, next month.  I feel it's important for him to take several days off of work and hope to give him a good time.

Can you DDFers give me some ideas?

Please have in mind while posting that there are certain limitations:

1) Something affordable. I can't spend so much money. Let's say about $300-$400 total (is that possible? I haven't been to America in a while...)
2) He doesn't want something that's more than a 4 hour drive (maybe 5) from Brooklyn (as that's the originating departure)
3) Something for about 3 days, 2 nights. Or something from Friday-Tues (we're observant, so have in mind shabbos..)
4) I have 80k IHG and 80k marriot points if that helps lodging...
5) Not looking for an amusement park. Something more relaxing, like site seeing, hikes, museums, etc.

thanks so much! I look forward to hearing what you come up with.
AC. Checks all the boxes. The perfect place for the midlife crisis. There are plenty of nice hikes in that vicinity also.

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 05:09:14 AM »
AC. Checks all the boxes. The perfect place for the midlife crisis. There are plenty of nice hikes in that vicinity also.
AC as in Atlantic City? I didn't know there were hiking there.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 05:11:57 AM »
AC as in Atlantic City? I didn't know there were hiking there.
Yes. not necessarily in AC proper but within relatively short driving distance are a whole bunch.

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:14:56 AM »
OK. Looking to hear about more ideas.

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 06:23:04 AM »
Boston, or Cape Cod, would be an option.

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 07:29:23 AM »
New Hampshire.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:10 AM »
Washington DC

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »
Washington DC
DC is a good $$ option. The basic attractions are free. Just make sure to reserve in advance:
White House
Pentagon
Washington monument
Bureau of Engraving and printing

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
thanks everyone for your ideas! keep em coming :)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »
Philly: Franklin Center, Mint, Liberty Bell, kosher restaurants...

Offline SrulyS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 12:22:56 AM »
DC is a good $$ option. The basic attractions are free. Just make sure to reserve in advance:
White House
Pentagon
Washington monument
If you go to DC make sure to check out the Billy Goat Trail section A. It is my favorite hike in the world and it is right off the DC beltway. Parking is $10 but during the week you can usually get free parking in a different lot nearby.

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 04:31:29 PM »
Sounds awesome... If anyone has any more idea, lemme know..

Re: Billy Goat Trail section A, is the actual hike free? If not, what's the entrance fee?
And what's good about the hike? Scenery? Do you see animals too, like deers, "goats" n stuff??

Offline SrulyS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 09:38:40 PM »
Re: Billy Goat Trail section A, is the actual hike free? If not, what's the entrance fee?
And what's good about the hike? Scenery? Do you see animals too, like deers, "goats" n stuff??
The hike itself is free but you must pay for parking in the main lot. If you arrive early enough or if you go during the week you may find parking in a different lot which is free. Main lot is by Great Falls Visitors Center, free lots are across the street from the Old Anglers Inn (do not park in the Inn's lot).

This is the most popular hike in the DC area and can sometimes get crowded but it is well worth it. The are no large animals on it, it is called the Billy Goat Trail because it makes you feel like a billy goat as you hop from rock to rock.  It is really fun and slightly difficult but not as hard as the website makes it seem. Most 8 year olds can do it and I once went with a 5 year old (I wouldn't recommend bringing most kids this young).
There is almost no boring walking on this hike except for at the beginning and end getting to and from the trailheads.  Most of the time you are overlooking the Potomac river so it is quite scenic but the main attraction is the "rock scrambling"; climbing from rock to rock, occasionally using your hands to climb up or down. 

I have never done sections B or C but they are supposed to be much less difficult, less popular, and less fun.

Feel free to PM me for more detailed directions and descriptions (you can also Google it as there is a lot of information about it online).

ETA: The hike itself is 1.7 miles plus a mile or more getting to and from the trail (alternatively you can hike both ways on the trail) so it should take between 1-2 hours.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:47:00 PM by SrulyS »

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 03:13:31 AM »
The hike itself is free but you must pay for parking in the main lot. If you arrive early enough or if you go during the week you may find parking in a different lot which is free. Main lot is by Great Falls Visitors Center, free lots are across the street from the Old Anglers Inn (do not park in the Inn's lot).

This is the most popular hike in the DC area and can sometimes get crowded but it is well worth it. The are no large animals on it, it is called the Billy Goat Trail because it makes you feel like a billy goat as you hop from rock to rock.  It is really fun and slightly difficult but not as hard as the website makes it seem. Most 8 year olds can do it and I once went with a 5 year old (I wouldn't recommend bringing most kids this young).
There is almost no boring walking on this hike except for at the beginning and end getting to and from the trailheads.  Most of the time you are overlooking the Potomac river so it is quite scenic but the main attraction is the "rock scrambling"; climbing from rock to rock, occasionally using your hands to climb up or down. 

I have never done sections B or C but they are supposed to be much less difficult, less popular, and less fun.

Feel free to PM me for more detailed directions and descriptions (you can also Google it as there is a lot of information about it online).

ETA: The hike itself is 1.7 miles plus a mile or more getting to and from the trail (alternatively you can hike both ways on the trail) so it should take between 1-2 hours.
Very informative, thanks!

It seems like we'll do DC since there's a lot more things to do there. And money saved on the above mentions, can be spent elsewhere to add to the activites.

Anyone else have ideas to do in DC?  I will google but I'd like to hear what you have to say too.
Thanks

Offline SrulyS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 03:51:50 AM »

It seems like we'll do DC since there's a lot more things to do there. And money saved on the above mentions, can be spent elsewhere to add to the activites.

Anyone else have ideas to do in DC?  I will google but I'd like to hear what you have to say too.
Thanks

There is a Washington D.C. master thread in this section. I can't link it because I'm on my phone but it should be easy to find, is only a couple of pages down.

If you are looking for museums all the Smithsonian museums are free and most of them are right next to each other in the heart of D.C. The Smithsonian also runs the national zoo which is also free.

There are two air and space museums,  one on the mall next to the other Smithsonian museums and one in Dulles airport. I went to the one in the mall, it is just a few blocks from the Capitol. I am not a big fan of museums and I still enjoyed it.  My favorite exhibit was the original plane flown by the Wright brothers, located on the second floor of the museum.

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 03:54:43 AM »
There is a Washington D.C. master thread in this section. I can't link it because I'm on my phone but it should be easy to find, is only a couple of pages down.

If you are looking for museums all the Smithsonian museums are free and most of them are right next to each other in the heart of D.C. The Smithsonian also runs the national zoo which is also free.

There are two air and space museums,  one on the mall next to the other Smithsonian museums and one in Dulles airport. I went to the one in the mall, it is just a few blocks from the Capitol. I am not a big fan of museums and I still enjoyed it.  My favorite exhibit was the original plane flown by the Wright brothers, located on the second floor of the museum.
Thanks for the info!

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 04:40:15 AM »

Thanks

All the Smithsonian Museums.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
Thanks for the info!
White House
Pentagon
Washington monument
Make the reservations as soon as you have dates...for the White House your probably too late.

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 05:58:30 AM »
Not sure I can copy and paste a link in tapatalk, but you can search and read shwarmabob's TR for what you can do in one day. Don't miss CharBar. Can also do KKD in DuPont Circle.

A quick jaunt to the National Mall - mini TR

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Edansdeals%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D57150&share_tid=57150&share_fid=16768&share_type=t