Author Topic: Mr. and Mrs. zow's Overnight in Kennebunk, Maine (mini-TR)  (Read 1743 times)

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
I snagged a Choice BRG at the Port Inn for the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend, and we decided to craft a mini-vacation around it. The weather didn't really cooperate, but we nonetheless had a fun time.

Drove up from Boston on Sunday afternoon. Took just about two hours. We checked in to the hotel without difficulty. Asked to upgrade our room from two queens to a king but they were sold out. No worries, as our room was pretty nice. More on the room momentarily. 

After dropping our stuff in the room, I surprised DW and told her that she had a massage appointment scheduled in town within the next hour. (Thanks to SpaFinder GC and HT to hvaces42!) She went to Cottage Breeze Day Spa and said that the 50-minute deep sports massage was great. Cost was $95 (convenient use of the $100 card) and gave $15 cash (c'vS) tip.

While she was getting massage, I walked down to this very cute faux French cafe, Mornings in Paris. Seems it has garnered a number of kudos from Zagat etc., and they do seem warranted. I just had a double espresso macchiato, but they featured a number of delicious sounding signature coffee drinks as well as their own seemingly home-baked French pastries and macarons.  They also offered various kosher-certified high-end packaged cookies (eg, gluten free) and what looked like gourmet chocolate bars (one was chaf-K pareve actually). The place was cozy but with pretty ample seating options, including some nice patio seats with umbrella tables. Unfortunately, the weather was raw and wet, so we couldn't really take advantage. One negative: no restroom. Apparently most of the places in this town/village don't have but instead rely on a public pay restroom. (As a DDFer, I know that I am prohibited from using such facilities else my membership may be revoked.) We walked through Kennebunkport for a while. Cute and picturesque. But too cold and wet to enjoy this trip.

Back to the hotel room, about a 15-minute drive from the main shops/cafes. The room was not luxurious by any standard, but very clean, modern, and functional. The bathroom was small but the shower (in tub) worked well, which is something we value. Actually pretty nice soap/shampoos. The room had a small but sufficient flat screen TV with many stations available. Starbucks coffee available to brew, with real half-and-half creamers (O-K) available. (Edit from Mrs. zow: "You forgot to tell them that they have a pizza-slice hot-plate, aka an iron!") The beds were comfortable. We were on the ground floor and could hear the water flowing down the pipes every time someone flushed above us. Thankfully didn't keep us awake, but next time I will remember to avoid being on lower floor wherever we go. Btw, hotel has a little pool that must have been inviting yesterday, when the mercury topped 85F, but not today.

The free continental breakfast was good. Locally roasted coffee was nice. Tazo teas. Instant Quaker oat packets. Whole fresh fruit. I asked the staff person about the Danish pastries and muffins. He went down to the storage and brought up the boxes to show me--pastries OU-D; muffins no apparent hechsher. They have make-your-own waffles and pancakes. The mix is CRC. I think there is very high likelihood that the only thing that ever touches the waffle maker is the kosher mix, but there is just enough uncertainty that I don't feel comfortable using. I will ask my LOR (suspect he will advise against) but wondering what others do in this scenario.

We will head back to Boston soon. There are a number of Memorial Day activities scheduled around here  but most will be too soggy to enjoy. We do want to stop and check out Ogunquit briefly on our way back. I don't think there is anything kosher there, but if we find something, we will add an addendum here.

Hope you all are having a meaningful and joyful Memorial Day.

Offline Adam101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Mr. and Mrs. zow's Overnight in Kennebunk, Maine (mini-TR)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
Love your mini TRs . reminds us that even in our own backyard there are places to go and things to see ' off the beaten path'...

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:39:25 AM »
Love your mini TRs . reminds us that even in our own backyard there are places to go and things to see ' off the beaten path'...
:)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 11:56:52 AM »

Couldn't agree more. With everyone's crazy schedules, sometimes a one or two night trip is all we can manage.