Author Topic: Is this even legal? United denying lounge access with one time use  (Read 14333 times)

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Re: Is this even legal? United denying lounge access with one time use
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »
Some of us paid for a United Club membership. We're unlikely to continue to pay for such memberships going forward if we find no seats in the lounge because it's full of self entitled self rightous folks who got a credit card that came with a one time pass. As long as my type is providing more revenue and profits to the lounge system than your type, you get capacity controls. Simple business decision. You don't like, buy a lounge membership or take your business elsewhere.
That's part of
A. making the credit card more lucrative
B. Getting people to buy memberships
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
The one by "my country"
SWF has a United Club?!
^^^

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
SWF has a United Club?!
Yay, someone chapped what I meant!!

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 10:48:46 AM »
Some of us paid for a United Club membership. We're unlikely to continue to pay for such memberships going forward if we find no seats in the lounge because it's full of self entitled self rightous folks who got a credit card that came with a one time pass. As long as my type is providing more revenue and profits to the lounge system than your type, you get capacity controls. Simple business decision. You don't like, buy a lounge membership or take your business elsewhere.
The one time pass is not unpaid for. It is part of the deal with the bank and the cardholder.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yehuda25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 11:20:20 AM »
The one time pass is not unpaid for. It is part of the deal with the bank and the cardholder.
agreed. It's wrong. The one time I was actually going to use it...
“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”

― Aristotle

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
You paid the "space available" price, I paid full price. You get space available service, I get full service. That's how the world works my friend. You don't get to pay a fraction of what I do and expect the same service, especially when your low revenue behind is driving me to stop paying my higher revenue annual fee. Again, that's business, don't like it go elsewhere. Please, for the love of Pete go elsewhere!

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 05:24:45 PM »

You paid the "space available" price, I paid full price. You get space available service, I get full service. That's how the world works my friend. You don't get to pay a fraction of what I do and expect the same service, especially when your low revenue behind is driving me to stop paying my higher revenue annual fee. Again, that's business, don't like it go elsewhere. Please, for the love of Pete go elsewhere!

A. Part of the goal of the passes are likely to get more paying customers. So they should be treated like paying customers to get the real feel.
B. Since the passes are made to make the CC more exciting as well, and I believe they bring more revenue from the CC then from lounge paying customers, the one time use passes effectively do bring in more revenue.

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 05:28:03 PM »

A. Part of the goal of the passes are likely to get more paying customers. So they should be treated like paying customers to get the real feel.
B. Since the passes are made to make the CC more exciting as well, and I believe they bring more revenue from the CC then from lounge paying customers, the one time use passes effectively do bring in more revenue.
plus its possible many dont actually use them, so...

― Aristotle

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »
I don't love Pete anyhow, but don't you think you could have written the same thing a bit nicer? Especially when you have no clue who they get more or less revenue from.

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »

I don't love Pete anyhow

How dare you say that on this largely Christian forum

Offline brodes18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, UA 1K, AA Platinum
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 07:56:08 PM »

Why you would pay for a UC membership is beyond me. The state of UC's accross the world is so far behind the non-US options, it seems almost worthless. They are dated, small, cramped, and have food that seems quite poor. I utilize them free courtesy of my 1K status, I'd never pay for access to them in their current state.

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »

Tell me, how much revenue did you bring to the credit card and how much of that passed on to United? We're all miles junkies here, so you can admit you maximized your signon bonuses, if you ever use the card you pay it off in full every month, and net net the you're a giant loss to them. Not blaming you for that, it's simply good work on your part. But when anyone then acts like a self-entitled a-hole because they didn't get to overcrowd a lounge after all that...please don't insult all our intelligence by claiming you're bringing more revenue than the paying members, that's just absurd.
And if you want to convert a one time pass user to a paying customer you don't admit them to a lounge that's standing room only. Who in their right mind would convert to a paying customer knowing that a bunch of one time pass folks are going to be taking all the seats? And let's be serious here, the number of whiney self-entitled one time pass users on here who are going to convert to paying customers is exactly zero!

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:08 PM »
Tell me, how much revenue did you bring to the credit card and how much of that passed on to United? We're all miles junkies here, so you can admit you maximized your signon bonuses, if you ever use the card you pay it off in full every month, and net net the you're a giant loss to them. Not blaming you for that, it's simply good work on your part. But when anyone then acts like a self-entitled a-hole because they didn't get to overcrowd a lounge after all that...please don't insult all our intelligence by claiming you're bringing more revenue than the paying members, that's just absurd.
And if you want to convert a one time pass user to a paying customer you don't admit them to a lounge that's standing room only. Who in their right mind would convert to a paying customer knowing that a bunch of one time pass folks are going to be taking all the seats? And let's be serious here, the number of whiney self-entitled one time pass users on here who are going to convert to paying customers is exactly zero!
I know the problem it's simple, you have a big feeling of entitlement and that's messing up your thought process. Because you paid for a full year why does that give you any more entitled then "me" who "paid" for one use?

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:57 PM »
Why you would pay for a UC membership is beyond me. The state of UC's accross the world is so far behind the non-US options, it seems almost worthless. They are dated, small, cramped, and have food that seems quite poor. I utilize them free courtesy of my 1K status, I'd never pay for access to them in their current state.
You've got a point there, they're not great but if you fly a lot domestic U.S. but not enough to be 1K and the only lounge is always United it's just barely worth it. The overcrowding courtesy of the one time pass crowd is rapidly moving it toward not worth it though, given that the whole point for me is to have a quiet space to sit and work. It's a shame that they can't be bothered to read the fine print, then feel the need to make a scene while the rest of us wait patiently to check into the lounge we paid for and finally come crying about it here!

Offline Sig

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »
I know the problem it's simple, you have a big feeling of entitlement and that's messing up your thought process. Because you paid for a full year why does that give you any more entitled then "me" who "paid" for one use?
Yep, I'm crazy old fashioned like that, thinking that the people who pay for a seat in a lounge trump the people who got a one time pass that clearly indicates it's space available and brought negative value to the company. Silly me with my "messed up thought process". And I'm a business owner to boot so I understand metrics like the value of a customer. You paid for nothing, as your quotes indicate United got no cash from you. As I clearly pointed out and you don't deny, people like us who maximize miles are a net negative for the company that they tolerate only because the overall program is a positive for them. As a business owner I am not just indifferent about having you as a customer, I'm actually financially better off without you and would prefer if you were gone. As a business owner, the guy who pays real cash money for an annual lounge membership contributes to my bottom line and the person who got 50,000 bonus miles and brings in maybe $50 a year in revenue while sucking up my CS time constantly whining takes away from my bottom line. If you ever run a service business you'll instantly understand. Get over yourself faux outrage, and if it's really that bad please go elsewhere, why in the world would you stick around? And "feeling of entitlement" pulease, take a look in the mirror!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:34:43 PM by Sig »

Offline davidrotts63

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »

Yep, I'm crazy old fashioned like that, thinking that the people who pay for a seat in a lounge trump the people who got a one time pass that clearly indicates it's space available and brought negative value to the company. Silly me with my "messed up thought process". And I'm a business owner to boot so I understand metrics like the value of a customer. You paid for nothing, as your quotes indicate United got no cash from you. As I clearly pointed out and you don't deny, people like us who maximize miles are a net negative for the company that they tolerate only because the overall program is a positive for them. As a business owner I am not just indifferent about having you as a customer, I'm actually financially better off without you and would prefer if you were gone. As a business owner, the guy who pays real cash money for an annual lounge membership contributes to my bottom line and the person who got 50,000 bonus miles and brings in maybe $50 a year in revenue while sucking up my CS time constantly whining takes away from my bottom line. If you ever run a service business you'll instantly understand. Get over yourself faux outrage, and if it's really that bad please go elsewhere, why in the world would you stick around? And "feeling of entitlement" pulease, take a look in the mirror!

Juts want to clarify, I was just taking the other side if the argument, I've never attempted to use a one time pass and got denied.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 09:08:34 PM »
How much does Chase pay to United for those miles?

Online myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 09:33:06 PM »
   Being that I'm paying $95 for two one time passes, and that I have never used it in the past three years I've gotten them, they're made available as one time passes for you to decide if it's worth buying a paid membership to the club that being said I don't see why if someone has a paid membership has any more advantages than a one-time membership which you're getting from your paid United Mileage Explorer credit card?
  For example if my company I work for has some shares in the nhl (rangers), causing my company to get free tickets every so often and now I have a front seat ticket, while you paid $500 for the front seat ticket are you going to say you have better advantages over me since i got a free ticket? ( or should they have accidentally oversold one of the tickets would you say you have rights more than someone that got a free ticket?)

I know it sounds better if you went ahead and paid for your membership versus someone that is entitled to a membership from his credit card while paying his annual fee which entails him to 2 free one-time Club passes.

No reason to go berserk because we're asking for our rights with our one-time Club passes.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Yehuda25

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »
   Being that I'm paying $95 for two one time passes, and that I have never used it in the past three years I've gotten them, they're made available as one time passes for you to decide if it's worth buying a paid membership to the club that being said I don't see why if someone has a paid membership has any more advantages than a one-time membership which you're getting from your paid United Mileage Explorer credit card?
  For example if my company I work for has some shares in the nhl (rangers), causing my company to get free tickets every so often and now I have a front seat ticket, while you paid $500 for the front seat ticket are you going to say you have better advantages over me since i got a free ticket? ( or should they have accidentally oversold one of the tickets would you say you have rights more than someone that got a free ticket?)

I know it sounds better if you went ahead and paid for your membership versus someone that is entitled to a membership from his credit card while paying his annual fee which entails him to 2 free one-time Club passes.

No reason to go berserk because we're asking for our rights with our one-time Club passes.
this   No reason to go berserk because we're asking for our rights with our one-time Club passes.

― Aristotle

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 11:23:07 PM »
Get off your high pedestal.
 Please For the love of whoever the hell that is, go take your arrogance elsewhere !!!
Life is as good as you make it...