Author Topic: what will Hamodia do if Hillary becomes President?  (Read 43373 times)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: what will Hamodia do if Hillary becomes President?
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2016, 11:17:44 AM »
I'm sure that whoever runs the some of these newspapers have a ruv that he asks questions to.
Most (if not all) heimishe magazines/papers have

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
Do you realize what a perversion of that quote from OU this is? Just curious.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline koplonko

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2016, 11:21:19 AM »
1. And why didn't the beis din ch write one?
2. Not everything is so simple. I didn't see a quote from halacha though fwiw.

Why do the vast majority of lubavitchers visit COL are you accusing them all of choosing to not be chabad and breaking halacha?

ETA:  I'm not sure why you worded it as those that actually do mivtzoim it sounds like you are talking down to someone, as if they never did mivtzoim... I personally never found it so "bad".
1.See photo of beis din of ch point #5
2. The discussion with rav tzinner was regarding even haezer siman 21
3. The latter (many people drink cholov akum and shave)
4. Reality. ..

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:22 AM »
If you wouldn't go into Manhatten for of parnassa, you are welcome to avoid going there for mivtzoim.
For business all of a sudden ליכא דרכא אחרינא? We consider our brothers' spiritual welfare as important as your own personal financial welfare

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »
If you wouldn't go into Manhatten for of parnassa, you are welcome to avoid going there for mivtzoim.
For business all of a sudden ליכא דרכא אחרינא? We consider our brothers' spiritual welfare as important as your own personal financial welfare
There's a bit of a difference between going straight to you office and standing in middle of Times Square, from a practical tznius level.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »
Do you realize what a perversion of that quote from OU this is? Just curious.

Not at all. Enlighten me, please.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
Not at all. Enlighten me, please.
The cited gemarah is saying that for one to conduct himself below the religious level he is currently holding on, even if not required by halacha, would be a CH. You are twisting that to mean that for one to conduct themselves on too stringent a level, that the world considers not normal, would be a CH.

If you would've been around in R' Yochanan's times, you would've been writing on the Internet about the CH this fanatic is causing by being so unaware of his surroundings and cut off from the normal world that he can't walk ten feet without slipping into his alternate reality and without his ridiculous prayer shawl and black boxes. You would consider him to be the ultimate disgrace to Judaism. That's why you're not in charge of deciding for G-d what a CH is.
JTZ

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2016, 11:55:28 AM »
The cited gemarah is saying that for one to conduct himself below the religious level he is currently holding on, even if not required by halacha, would be a CH. You are twisting that to mean that for one to conduct themselves on too stringent a level, that the world considers not normal, would be a CH.

If you would've been around in R' Yochanan's times, you would've been writing on the Internet about the CH this fanatic is causing by being so unaware of his surroundings and cut off from the normal world that he can't walk ten feet without slipping into his alternate reality and without his ridiculous prayer shawl and black boxes. You would consider him to be the ultimate disgrace to Judaism. That's why you're not in charge of deciding for G-d what a CH is.

Huh? It has nothing to do with level of religious observance. The example provided is not paying your non-Jewish workers on time, which is deemed to be a CH because it's perceived to be beneath a Jew to do.

Same thing with removing all women from all public life in certain circles. Not sure how it's different.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »

Huh? It has nothing to do with level of religious observance. The example provided is not paying your non-Jewish workers on time, which is deemed to be a CH because it's perceived to be beneath a Jew to do.

Same thing with removing all women from all public life in certain circles. Not sure how it's different.

I guess paying workers on time has nothing to do with Judaism, and G-d couldn't really care less, as long as there is no CH. There must be no commandment about paying workers on time. Thanks for the correction. Give me a minute to edit my outdated copy of the bible.
JTZ

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »

I guess paying workers on time has nothing to do with Judaism, and G-d couldn't really care less, as long as there is no CH. There must be no commandment about paying workers on time. Thanks for the correction. Give me a minute to edit my outdated copy of the bible.

Correct. The times for paying Jewish vs. Non-Jewish workers is different according to the S'dei Chemed (as opposed to the Rambam). Not sure why you're pretending it's so cut and dry.

There's a reason the case used is withholding a NON-JEWISH employee's wages. Even if not assur, it's still a CH.  If publishing pictures of females is not assur, it can still certainly be a CH.

My point was only to respond to Super Speed who intimated that CH is very narrow and doesn't apply here.

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2016, 12:17:39 PM »
If publishing pictures of females is not assur, it can still certainly be a CH.
Better you say the logical outcome of your cited gemara than I do.
JTZ

Offline koplonko

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2016, 12:21:03 PM »

+1000
Just because it makes you uncomfortable, doesn't mean hashem is uncomfortable

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »
To summarize....😉

1) Papers that do not put pictures of women...had there not have been the Clinton Photoshop incident, (CH) there seems to be nobody here having a problem ( free country, right?). They haven't been putting pictures of women  for over 50 years, therefore if there was one now doesn't mean that it's a terrible thing. They simply must learn how to adapt to new digital age where these things reach the mainstream press.

2) Chabad- if their Rebbe told them to do and took full responsibility ( which he did) it's not a question whether it's allowed or not. All the issues boil down to, do you question his integrity? ( you know what I mean...don't troll me for it...😱)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 12:31:24 PM by Yammer »

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
Better you say the logical outcome of your cited gemara than I do.

I don't recall if the Gemara specifies whether the butcher was Jewish or not, so I can't say until I go back over the sugya, but I still maintain that this can be a CH.

+1000

My comfort means nothing.  I'm not inherently uncomfortable with what they do.  I only have a problem since it's a CH, IMO.

And to touch on that point by DS, leading whatever life you choose is your business; level of stringency does not make anything a CH, until it reflects badly on Jews.  And of course I don't get to make a determination of what is or is not a CH, but it's not all pre-determined either.  As the OU said:
The reason for this mitzvah is gratitude to God. He created us and gave us everything. How horrible would we be to act in a fashion that makes Him look bad and causes people to say, “That’s how Jews act?” or “That’s how religious people act?”

Offline koplonko

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2016, 12:44:51 PM »

The reason for this mitzvah is gratitude to God. He created us and gave us everything. How horrible would we be to act in a fashion that makes Him look bad and causes people to say, “That’s how Jews act?” or “That’s how religious people act?”
Question: if torah /halacha mandates or even approves something, should we care that people say "“That’s how Jews act?” or “That’s how religious people act?”
You can start saying that about shaking woman's hands, taking a mincha break, not joining your co-workers for lunch. vedal .
Halacha is halacha.

Offline koplonko

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »
My comfort means nothing.  I'm not inherently uncomfortable with what they do.  I only have a problem since it's a CH, IMO.
A chilul hashem is based on what hashem considers a chilul. Hence :
+1000

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2016, 12:52:47 PM »
Question: if torah /halacha mandates or even approves something, should we care that people say "“That’s how Jews act?” or “That’s how religious people act?”
You can start saying that about shaking woman's hands, taking a mincha break, not joining your co-workers for lunch. vedal .
Halacha is halacha.

Yes, you should care, but obviously a clear assei/lo sasaei will override it.

However, when something is being implemented as a geder or out of a personal decision to be more stringent then it's given more weight.

Offline Brian93

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
Halacha is halacha.
Even in הלכה there is the idea of דרכי שלום though

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »
A chilul hashem is based on what hashem considers a chilul. Hence :

Right, and anything that makes people say "look at those Jews" Hashem considers a chillul.

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2016, 12:58:45 PM »
Right, and anything that makes people say "look at those Jews" Hashem considers a chillul.
Wrong wrong and wrong!