Author Topic: Buying a Bike  (Read 4411 times)

Offline beeweegee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Buying a Bike
« on: June 19, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »
So I just got this thing in my head that I want to take up biking. It's great exercise, and I used to love it as a kid. Im interested in road biking, not mountain biking. My first step is to get a bike, but those in the know tell me not to waste my time with anything much below $600-700. I dont mind spending that kind of money, but it's a big investment for something that may last a week or two and burn out.
Any suggestions? Is there any way to rent a bike for a month or buy a decent used one? Where do I start?
Thanks!

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Bike
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:46:29 PM »
So I just got this thing in my head that I want to take up biking. It's great exercise, and I used to love it as a kid. Im interested in road biking, not mountain biking. My first step is to get a bike, but those in the know tell me not to waste my time with anything much below $600-700. I dont mind spending that kind of money, but it's a big investment for something that may last a week or two and burn out.
Any suggestions? Is there any way to rent a bike for a month or buy a decent used one? Where do I start?
Thanks!
Why?

Offline beeweegee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 08:55:33 PM »
Why?
No clue. I got the impression that any quality bike road bike starts around that range, and that most options below that are either not such great quality or are beginner bikes that I will outgrow (level-wise) if I keep it up and improve. I'll be happy to hear that this information is not accurate, it's just what I've heard...

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 08:55:55 PM »

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:06:49 PM »
There's a store in crown Heights that I'm pretty sure rents bikes.
(or just use citibikes)

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 09:10:59 PM »
Thanks!
try Roy's if your in the Brooklyn area,pretty honest and good to work with
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 09:14:27 PM »
try Roy's if your in the Brooklyn area,pretty honest and good to work with
Nah, been there done that. As someone who bought 5 bikes in five years from 4 different store, I could tell you it's worth schlepping out to Brands in Wantagh. I promise.

Offline Pinreb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 09:15:28 PM »

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 09:23:14 PM »
Paging Grodnoking

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »
Nah, been there done that. As someone who bought 5 bikes in five years from 4 different store, I could tell you it's worth schlepping out to Brands in Wantagh. I promise.
ime I find their prices hard to beat,also have friends who did b4c pedaling bikes over 8/9k swear by them
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 09:36:23 PM »

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 10:11:59 PM »
ime I find their prices hard to beat,also have friends who did b4c pedaling bikes over 8/9k swear by them
I also swore by them until I had a problem. Was recommended to Brands and boy do I see a difference. As far as price 1) Brands also had great prices 2) is not all about $$. Their mechanics are way better (yes, even better than Gerald), their fitters are way better, they won't sell you a bike that isn't for you, and they will fight for you if you have problems. Maybe when I'm in front of a computer i can go into more detail.
As far as the B4C guys, my guess is that they are from Brooklyn so it is the most convenient and easiest for them to buy and service at Roy's. It's not that Roy's is terrible (if you want terrible, go to South Shore Cycles in Woodmere) just when you are spending many thousands (or even one thousand) $$$ on a bike, you want to get it from the best.

Offline beeweegee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 10:21:37 PM »
Thanks all. These are some recommendations for buying a bike - any for renting? I just can't justify putting down that kind of money before I even get on a bike for the first time in years.)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 10:24:36 PM »
Thanks all. These are some recommendations for buying a bike - any for renting? I just can't justify putting down that kind of money before I even get on a bike for the first time in years.)
Citi Bike? (Supposing your profile location is accurate...)

Offline beeweegee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 10:42:49 PM »
Citi Bike? (Supposing your profile location is accurate...)
How's the quality of the bikes relative to the quality of what I probably should be buying?

Offline ariIs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 01:00:13 AM »

If you're not sure you'll take up the hobby, get a cheap ($150) bike from Amazon or Walmart. Try it out for a few weeks, see how you like it. A citibike membership would run you just as much. Keep in mind that a nice bike would be more comfortable, faster and lighter than the cheap one, but it's a decent way to just get started.
One thing you should do is replace the seat - the basic seats on the cheap bikes are just torture on your bum. Everything else won't affect you as much.
It also helps to have a cheap bike when you need to lock it up somewhere for a while (train station, etc). Not a big deal if it's stolen.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 01:12:51 AM »
Brands is great but if you're in Brooklyn go to Roy's. They know what they're doing too and you don't want to drive out to LI every time you need service. Local is better.

Again, this depends where you live.

As far as renting, the places that rent will cost 100-150 for the weekend for a $1500 or so bike. It won't be worth it unless you're rebting while traveling. Better off finding someone to lend you a bike for a few rides to try it out. It's also very important to be fit properly for your bike which you won't get on a rented bike (or a borrowed bike but at least that'll be free).

Keep in mind this isn't a cheap sport. Besides the bike theres the shoes, cleats, pedals, helmet, bike shorts, jersey (if you want to carry anything like a phone or food this is important), spare tubes, bike pump, saddle bag, GPS and mount, optional HRM, etc....

As far as a used bike, it's not a bad idea but you need to know your size going in. And not unlike buying a used car, you really don't know much about the bikes history. So unless you're buying from someone you trust (read: Not Craigslist) and even when you are, you're probably better off buying an entry level new bike at a shop that will size and fit you properly then provide free service on the bike for the first year (at least) for free.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 01:19:23 AM by coralsnake »
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline beeweegee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 01:21:22 AM »
If you're not sure you'll take up the hobby, get a cheap ($150) bike from Amazon or Walmart. Try it out for a few weeks, see how you like it. A citibike membership would run you just as much. Keep in mind that a nice bike would be more comfortable, faster and lighter than the cheap one, but it's a decent way to just get started.
One thing you should do is replace the seat - the basic seats on the cheap bikes are just torture on your bum. Everything else won't affect you as much.
It also helps to have a cheap bike when you need to lock it up somewhere for a while (train station, etc). Not a big deal if it's stolen.
Thanks - any particular recommendations?

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 01:29:11 AM »
Thanks - any particular recommendations?
I've actually found the schwinn hybrids to be decent for a cheap bike. I haven't biked in years, though. Not a chance Amex RP is paying to ship back a bike. 
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline beeweegee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 01:33:45 AM »
I've actually found the schwinn hybrids to be decent for a cheap bike. I haven't biked in years, though. Not a chance Amex RP is paying to ship back a bike. 
True dat  :) Are they steel frames? Bad idea for a beginner?