Author Topic: Mr. And Mrs. Stbaum's Europe Trip 2016  (Read 19670 times)

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Mr. And Mrs. Stbaum's Europe Trip 2016
« on: July 14, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
First and foremost, i wanted to thank Dan and the whole DDF community for helping me with my trip. I seriously couldn't have done it by myself.
a note before i start, i know i could probably have used my points more wisely. i could have saved money here or there, blah blah blah. i'm still super new to this and was just glad to go on vacation. the fact that i used points was just a bonus.

Trip #1 JFK> CDG 6/30/16

the cheapest tickets i found for this was on Priceline for a little over $900. i kept refreshing the page and somehow a flight popped up for $574 (including insurance). i booked 2 right away. it was my ideal flight. i would still be able to work a full day Thursday and not rush to the airport since the flight was for 11:55pm.

i didn't take any pics of the flight at all since it was pathetic. airline was XL Airways and was a tiny plane with tiny seats. you know the drill. my husband sat maybe 3-4 hours out of the 6 hour flight.
we boarded very late and ended up leaving closer to 1am. however, flight was supposed to be 7 hours but was a little over 6 instead so we landed about the same time we were originally supposed to at 1pm Friday.

I did a very stupid move and booked the Hyatt Regency instead of Park Hyatt. on the Paris wiki it clearly says that you don't need to be "in the center" of paris, if you find a cheaper hotel, book it, because the metro is cheap and easy. yeah, that doesn't mean outside city limits. i paid 17k a night for an airport hotel that had an hour commute into Paris. So that was clever.

Paris day 1 & 2

we took the hotel shuttle straight to our hotel and on the way i got an Uber to pick up my pre arranged shabbos meal from Ben & Cook.

i checked in and got our room, unpacked a bit, showered and went downstairs to get my food.

I love robes :) makes everything feel fancier

Our food from Ben & Cook

This is their standard Shabbos food. Meatballs and noodles with 2 dips and 2 challas. Dips and challah were amazing, rest of the food was not so good

The Shabbos morning food. Couscous with meat and squash

Some noshkes for Shabbos as well. Wasn't so amazing

I had emailed the gm in advance, saying it was our anniversary and our first time in Europe, hoping for an upgrade. We got an email back saying they'll do what they can to make out stay special. Once we were in the room they sent up a little treat

Instead of the water they wanted to give me wine but I asked if I can have a couple extra waters instead and she was happy to oblige

this is what we did every day:
took free shuttle from hotel (comes every 20 minutes and takes 15 to get to airport) to CDG, get off at Terminal 3, take RER B straight in to Paris.
now according to my research, the RER as well as the other trains are about €1.40. ye, that's not true if you start at the airport. there's a massive tax tacked on to the ticket so each ride is €10.

we got to Paris around 4 and started at St. Michel.

We couldn't do the Sandeman's free walking tour because it was too late (last one is at 1pm) so we just walked their route to see some sights.
we walked to Notre Dame before realizing it's a church so we walked to the Louvre. we didn't actually go inside because... well, honestly, we didn't think we would enjoy it. we just walked around a bit and took some pictures.

after the Louvre we walked right outside and saw the original/mini Arc de Triomphe.

right after that there is a really nice park with benches and flowers. we sat down and ate lunch we had brought from home.
there was a fair/carinval or something right there so we took a little ride on the ferris wheel to see Paris from above.

A glimpse at the Eiffel Tower

The garden outside the Louvre

after that, we took the metro (right outside the carnival) to a spot someone had mentioned had an incredible view of the Eiffel where you can take fantastic pics.

Then it was time to go back and bring in Shabbos at 9:40.

As Hyatt members, we had access to the club where we could get some free drinks (and snacks).

Shabbos was so unbelievably boring. the hotel is really nice with a hammock and koi pond in the lobby but that's only exciting for a few minutes. after catching up on sleep there was really nothing to do till zman which was at 11.

Next up: Paris day 3 & 4
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:36:21 AM by stbaum »
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
Re: Mr. And Mrs. Stbaum's Europe Trip 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »
one quick favor- if you want to quote, please don't quote the whole message, it's annoying. just quote the pic/phrase you want to comment on.

TIA!  ;)

Offline yoruel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 12:20:29 PM »
Did your Husband go around with Yarmulka or Cap?
Were you nervous for Anti- Semitism?

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 12:21:25 PM »
Did your Husband go around with Yarmulka or Cap?
Were you nervous for Anti- Semitism?

baseball caps for both of us. there is a military presence in the jewish neighborhood to keep it extra safe

nope. not nervous at all. just a little more vigilant

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »

Sorry to hear about the hotel choice, you live and learn.
Whats hanging from the Eiffel Tower? A Pokemon?  :D

Edit: A quick Google search enlightened me.

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:49:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about the hotel choice, you live na dlearn.

lol i don't think that craze had started yet. it's a football (soccer ball). i think there was a big match with Iceland the next day or something cuz they were selling Icelandic flags everywhere

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
Sorry to hear about the hotel choice, you live na dlearn.

Edit: A quick Google search enlightened me.
Looks like a football (soccer ball for the yanks). Probably for the Euro 2016 that was hosted in France.

ETA: Beat me to it.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »
Nice start! Sorry about the hotel location, but seems like you had fun so far anyway! What's up with the mini Arc de Triomphe?

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 02:19:48 PM »
Nice start! Sorry about the hotel location, but seems like you had fun so far anyway! What's up with the mini Arc de Triomphe?

what should be up with it? this is the one Napoleon built. they made a bigger duplicate after he died which is the "real" Arc de Triomphe. we only know about that because we eavesdropped on a tour guide  :P

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
what should be up with it? this is the one Napoleon built. they made a bigger duplicate after he died which is the "real" Arc de Triomphe. we only know about that because we eavesdropped on a tour guide  :P
That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »
Paris days 3 & 4:

we woke up early on Sunday to get breakfast in Paris. we took the RER B straight to St. Paul. i couldn't understand my gps directions so i went in to a store and asked where a certain street was. they guy (in perfect English) said he doesn't know where that is. turns out it was the next block. antisemitism?

you absolutely can't go to Paris and skip Korcarz. the food here is so amazing. so fresh! so much stuff to choose from! i went to the bathroom for 2 minutes (pretty sure that used to be a dungeon) and came back to see that my husband had gotten a bit overexcited at the bakery counter

Americano coffee with 2 slices cheesecake (meh) and a rose shaped pastry that felt a little like fried egg-roll wrapper dipped in honey. was really delicious. and did i mention fresh?

i didn't really want plain old coffee so i ordered us some hot chocolate. this was with a special French whipped cream on top. absolute heaven. we even ordered more of this to go before we left.

at this point we weren't too hungry so we got this scrambled egg panini to share. oh. my. god. this sandwich will haunt me until i return to Paris. the bread tastes as though it came out of the oven 10 seconds before it was put on your plate. the eggs were hatched a minute ago! the most incredible sandwich we've ever had in our lives.

i took some pics of the bakery before we left:

i had to take some real french macaroons to go:

the whole Marais neighborhood is so quaint. Sunday morning was very quiet with a few restaurants starting to open and the smells fill the street. everything is old and tiny here with cobblestone streets that are really narrow and pedestrians walk freely. every shop is as big as a shoebox but somehow is filled with jewelry or judaica or soaps, etc.

funny books on Judaism and Torah for dummies in a Judaica store

(this pic i saved from my snapchat)

in a shop in Le Marais

my husband found it interesting that a Paris fire hydrant looks like this

i included the fire hydrant pic for the boys, now a display of soap at Lush for the girls ;)

just a random street

funny albeit inappropriate

On the first Sunday of every month there are some museums that are free. since my husband and i are in no way interested in art, we figured this was a great way to get some culture at no expense.

The closest one was Musee Picasso. it's supposed to take like maybe 10 minutes to walk it from Le Marais but we took our time and made it in 20 minutes. The line was super long but it went fairly quickly. Not sure if it was long because it's Picasso or because it's free.

"Head of a Woman" looks more like a jumbo sheital head to me

most of these are on lazy susans so that's probably why they look so off. not because flat faces with eyes sticking out is art.

afterwards we walked back to Le Marais for lunch at the famed Pitzman's

I had the pizza with Camembert, Mozarella cheese, spinach, and mushrooms. turns out i don't like Camembert and i only had a bite.

my husband got falafel. wasn't anything special

I checked how far Darjeeling is from where we were and saw that we could walk it. was about 3/4 hour away and we didn't want to eat right away anyway.

let this be a lesson to all: Darjeeling the restaurant is at 1 Rue des Colonels Renard, 75017 Paris, France.
Darjeeling (sister company?) the lingerie shop is at 74 rue du faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France

DO NOT GO TO THE WRONG LOCATION or your spouse will be super pissed to have walked an hour in the rain with no food at the end of the rainbow.

lets call that an adventure :)

at least we got to see the Bastille on the way

the metro was right there so we took that to the proper Darjeeling. unfortunatly, they only open at 7pm (1900) and we were 1/2 hour too early.
the restaurant is in a plain neighborhood with nothing really interesting nearby so we just walked around a bit. side note: if rain/fog/mist bothers you then you're better off in London for there is better weather there.
we saw the original Jacardi Paris which i have no interest in but my friends were all jealous so at least there is that.
down the block is the only other kosher place in the area- Le Shine.
i really wanted to eat there too because i had seen great reviews but since we could only do one, i chose Darjeeling because what's traveling if you don't try something new and go out of your comfort zone? we had never had real Indian cuisine (unless you count Persian which is very similar).

We decided to try Le Shine and have something small

my husband had the eggrolls. says they were interesting but nothing special

i had the wonton soup which was very very good. it was perfect for the weather outside. just something to warm my bones

they are not cheap and our bill came to €24

we walked back to Darjeeling for a very special dinner. First let me say the decor is exactly what you would expect of an Indian restaurant. all colors and pillows with tassels. i loved the warm atmosphere. the wait staff was great. they got an English speaking waiter for us and he knew just what to get us when we told him we want to try authentic Indian food but nothing too spicy.

Indian version of a pu pu platter

it came with 3 sauces. a mildly spicy, a sweet sauce, and a very spicy sauce

we also got warm pita bread which we didn't really touch. they did charge us for the bread €2,80 which i thought wasn't very fair. we didn't really order it. after the waiter took our orders he said "and bread for the table, yes?" to which we said sure, why not.

Dinner:

"Rogan Ghosht" - Lamb curry- YUM-MY! soft chunks of lamb you barely had to chew

"Tikka Sabazbagh" - some kind of BBQ chicken. was good but not comparable to the lamb

"Sabzi Pilaf" - rice. this was crispy and if i had never had middle eastern food i would have thought it's bizarre to serve rice "al dente". we loved it

"Gateau Du Chef" - dessert. cake was very cold and perfect. ice cream was fine, whipped cream just looked and felt out of place.

Paris day 4:

We checked out of our rooms and had the front desk hold our luggage

L'inte Cafe gets rave reviews. being that the name is such, we wrongfully assumed they would have breakfast. alas, the hour long train ride and the 20 minute walk from the train was in vain. PSA: L'inte Cafe (and the neighboring Tibs) only open for service at 12pm.

grudgingly we walked to the nearest train and went straight to our beloved Korcarz. This time we chose to sit outside as the sun was waving merrily at us (at long last).

coming off our "exotic" food high from the night before, we wanted to order something we normally wouldn't. i got a potato thing with cheese and spinach

dh got an omelet (exotic, i know. he's a bit of a daredevil). he asked for just cheese and fried onions but it had smoked salmon in it as well making it really salty

pardon the pic. it was taken with my husband's iPhone 5

we sent both back and got hot chocolate with an omelette panini.

Monday was not such a pleasant day for us. we were really nervous because our phones weren't recieving any calls or text. We had gotten our SIM cards from Hipsim with an American number. the data worked fine but nothing else. if you called, it just rang 3 times and then simply cut off. no voicemail or a missed call on our end. i didn't really care for my own phone. i rarely use it to actually make calls. it's all whatsapp and email. my husband, on the other hand owns his own business and has responsibilities that don't stop just because he's on vacation. therefore, we spent the better part of Monday trying to figure out how to fix it. FTR this didn't get resolved until around 1am later that night and required my brother in law getting us a new sim card with our original number.

we walked around aimlessly while working on the phone thing. we took the metro to the Champs Elysee stop because i wanted to see what the hype was about. turns out it's basically 13th ave but with fancier shops and little gardens. we didn't venture in very far

best pic i have of the Arc de Triomphe. i did take a zoomed in pic too but that was a selfie

aimless wanderings around the Sienne

the opposite view of the pic above

after walking around, we once again headed back to Le Marias for some food.

i wanted to try the pasta at Pitzmans and got fettecini alfredo with mushrooms to go.
then we went to L'as Du Fallafel and got dinner. there is usually a line and this time was no different. it took about 15 minutes so meanwhile i ran to the bakery next door and down the block to Korcarz looking for french madeleines which i had heard were delicious though (like macarons) i had never had any. alas, neither place had them.

We took the RER B line back to the airport. I had a problem, we would need to take the shuttle back to the hotel, pick up our bags, wait an extra 20 minutes to take the shuttle back to the airport and catch our flight. easy fix: the hotel was nice enough to have our packages waiting at the stop so we just jumped off the shuttle, grabbed them, and continued with the route.

Next up: Flight #2, Day 1 in... TBA

Au Revoir Paris!

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »
well, I'm glad you ate well :)

Offline shmueli2007

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 04:00:09 PM »
Nice tr. Great pics. Thanks
Sammyboy - All Trump All the time.

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 04:27:53 PM »
Excellent TR! It's making me hungry!

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 01:17:29 AM »
Nice TR

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 01:55:13 AM »
I just love this TR!  I love your candor and honesty that the plane ride, hotel location and boring Shabbos kind of sucked and that you're not really into art! I was ROTFL laughing about the Picassos/sheitel heads and getting directions to the lingerie store instead of the restaurant ...Yashar Koach and looking forward to the rest!

Offline yakrot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 01:57:50 AM »
I just love this TR!  I love your candor and honesty that the plane ride, hotel location and boring Shabbos kind of sucked and that you're not really into art! I was ROTFL laughing about the Picassos/sheitel heads and getting directions to the lingerie store instead of the restaurant ...Yashar Koach and looking forward to the rest!
+1 not afraid to say you wandered around aimlessly, I personally find this very enjoyable in random cities don't like having every minute scheduled...

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »
Thanks guys. I found it to be a lot of pressure to make sure to have a fantastic time all the time. Leaving empty time to just take in the city relieved that pressure

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »
When is Mr Stbaum gonna join DDF?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »
When is Mr Stbaum gonna join DDF?
my husband, on the other hand owns his own business and has responsibilities that don't stop
^^^