Author Topic: Silent Killer  (Read 65681 times)

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Killer
« Reply #1155 on: July 24, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
Please, explain "modern marijuana use" to me. I have teenage and 20 something year old children. I think I am well aware and educated. I also volunteer my time to anti-drug abuse organizations, so please, enlighten me as to what I am missing. And for the record, I'm not in Lakewood.
Modern marijuana use is fundamentally recreational and I think the majority of "frum" kids who do smoke pot do so recreationally. I could be wrong but that has been my observation across age groups, level of frumkeit and community. If anyone has any data on it I'd love to see it but I don't think that data exists or is really plausible to come by.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 24, 2019, 01:07:18 PM »
Is there any solid data about the percentage of people in our community who have OD'd that started with a prescription vs people who started illegally?
The vast majority are not people who started from prescription abuse. Of the the kids that died in the last month not one was from prescription abuse. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 24, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »
I dont know anyone that went to heroin as a first drug of choice. Do you? I would venture a guess that the hard drug use was precipitated by recreational drug use. The ODs, for the most part, are from fentanyl laced heroin.
Obviously, that wasn't my point, but recreational opioid use is an entirely different ballgame from recreational pot use. And yes, I'm aware of where the majority of OD's comes from but, as you said, nobody starts with fentanyl-laced heroin. If you want to solve the problem you have to pinpoint where the problem is stemming from.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 24, 2019, 01:08:20 PM »
The vast majority are not people who started from prescription abuse. Of the the kids that died in the last month not one was from prescription abuse.
Ok, that makes sense, I wasn't saying one way or the other, I was just wondering what the data was.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 24, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
Obviously, that wasn't my point, but recreational opioid use is an entirely different ballgame from recreational pot use. And yes, I'm aware of where the majority of OD's comes from but, as you said, nobody starts with fentanyl-laced heroin. If you want to solve the problem you have to pinpoint where the problem is stemming from.
I vote...recreational pot use as the starting point...you are free to choose your own starting point.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 24, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »
Ok, that makes sense, I wasn't saying one way or the other, I was just wondering what the data was.
I think the age factor will point to the difference between prescription abuse vs other forms of drug abuse. For example there were 2 older people that died whose problems did start from prescription abuse.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 24, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
I vote...recreational pot use as the starting point...you are free to choose your own starting point.

Starting point is IMHO mental/emotional issues. The drug or alcohol abuse is an outlet/symptom. I would think that an adolescent who feels safe, secure and spiritually and emotionally well-nourished, isn't likely to get addicted to alcohol, pot, or other things.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 24, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »

Starting point is IMHO mental/emotional issues. The drug or alcohol abuse is an outlet/symptom. I would think that an adolescent who feels safe, secure and spiritually and emotionally well-nourished, isn't likely to get addicted to alcohol, pot, or other things.
Im looking for unicorns and fairies too...

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA
« Reply #1163 on: July 24, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
I dont know anyone that went to heroin as a first drug of choice. Do you?
Yes, next question?
If you want to vote Democrat, you are being very disloyal to Jewish people and very disloyal to Israel, Mr. Trump said.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 24, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »
...and that is a rap.
If you want to vote Democrat, you are being very disloyal to Jewish people and very disloyal to Israel, Mr. Trump said.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 24, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »

What percentage of recreational pot users in the frum community smoked cigarettes first?
Quote from: ExGingi
[Stating things eloquently] seems to be Yehuda57's job around here :)

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 24, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »
What percentage of recreational pot smokers in the frum community smoked cigarettes first?
Probably 100%

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 24, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
Probably 100%
Ok so the real problem is cigarettes?

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 24, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
Ok so the real problem is cigarettes?
The real problem is that people are born. If we could somehow stop that, then there wouldnt be any issues.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 24, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
The real problem is that people are born. If we could somehow stop that, then there wouldnt be any issues.

AKA the greatest detriment to one's health is living.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan