Author Topic: Silent Killer  (Read 213538 times)

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Killer
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 05:42:14 PM »
Huh? Can you email to me what the necessary discussion besides bashing rabbanim here is? Can you explain to me where rape and sex come into the picture.  As I said suicide is nothing higher in our community. If something it's probably way lower.

No, I will not email you.  This needs to be a public discussion.  And where did rape or Rabbonim bashing even come into play?  You're the only one that's mentioning it.

Awareness of mental illness and drug use is important in our communities, I'm not sure why you're pretending otherwise.  There is certainly a stigma around both of them, and that very likely can lead to suicide.

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2016, 06:02:35 PM »
No, I will not email you.  This needs to be a public discussion.  And where did rape or Rabbonim bashing even come into play?  You're the only one that's mentioning it.

Awareness of mental illness and drug use is important in our communities, I'm not sure why you're pretending otherwise.  There is certainly a stigma around both of them, and that very likely can lead to suicide.
There are two separate issues. One it's mental health in our community and the other is suicide and overdose by those who left the community. Both are very important.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 07:10:44 PM »

The link that the OP posted.

My gosh. What exactly has to be addressed? Whoever is sick goes to therapy. Why is earth does it have to do with our community?????????????
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline elit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 07:22:15 PM »

My gosh. What exactly has to be addressed? Whoever is sick goes to therapy. Why is earth does it have to do with our community?????????????
Do you live with your head on the sand?
There are two separate issues. One it's mental health in our community and the other is suicide and overdose by those who left the community. Both are very important.
It isn't 2 separate communities

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 07:24:27 PM »

I don't see the word rape anywhere in the link the OP posted, so I would suggest not using hyperbolic buzzwords to try to minimize the issue.

And what I highlighted is exactly the issue; they DON'T go to therapy because they feel they're the only ones that have whatever issue, and it will hurt their reputation, they'll have no shidduch prospects, etc.  It needs to be talked about so people who are suffering realize they're not alone, and they can/should seek help.

Offline Cheesecake

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2016, 07:57:43 PM »

And what I highlighted is exactly the issue; they DON'T go to therapy because they feel they're the only ones that have whatever issue, and it will hurt their reputation, they'll have no shidduch prospects, etc.  It needs to be talked about so people who are suffering realize they're not alone, and they can/should seek help.

FWIW, one news report quotes a distant family member saying that the subject of the Forward article was on his way to the doctor for anti-depressants.

He in fact was apparently being treated.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2016, 10:08:15 PM »

FWIW, one news report quotes a distant family member saying that the subject of the Forward article was on his way to the doctor for anti-depressants.

He in fact was apparently being treated.
Exactly. The vast majority of the mentally ill from our community are aggressively treated.

The stigma days are long gone.

It is true though that shiduchim is a concern for the mentally ill, but it's just as much or even more of a concern for the physically ill.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2016, 01:56:39 AM »
Some people here are off their minds. Tip to Aaron, don't be shy to get your issues taken care of.

I unfortunately know more than enough people who use therapy. Why do people love love when they can say "we have problems in our community"
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2016, 08:15:55 AM »
I guess anyone contemplating suicide is obviously mentally ill and is obviously already receiving treatment.

Depression is something only experienced by people born with chemical imbalances. 
Everybody obviously has amazing parents and supportive relatives.
No such thing as someone who has no social life.
No such thing as a regular normal kid falling into difficult times deciding they have nothing to live for.

Any other universal truths we need to know?
Visibly Jewish

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
I guess anyone contemplating suicide is obviously mentally ill and is obviously already receiving treatment.

Depression is something only experienced by people born with chemical imbalances. 
Everybody obviously has amazing parents and supportive relatives.
No such thing as someone who has no social life.
No such thing as a regular normal kid falling into difficult times deciding they have nothing to live for.

Any other universal truths we need to know?
Your point is...

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2016, 08:36:55 AM »
Your point is...

Gee, that this thread should be deleted because anyone that needs help is already getting it.
Awareness is not necessary and we should condemn anyone who is pretending to help.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2016, 08:55:05 AM »
When they will name the 77, you'll see how stupid that articles was.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2016, 08:57:31 AM »
Some people here are off their minds. Tip to Aaron, don't be shy to get your issues taken care of.

I unfortunately know more than enough people who use therapy. Why do people love love when they can say "we have problems in our community"
I think your assumption that everyone is trying to be critical of our community is where you're wrong.  Perhaps some of us truly care about the individual. It's irrelevant how we compare statistically to other communities if there's even one suicide that could've and should've been prevented than that's one too many.  Unfortunately,  it's a lot more than one therefore we are discussing what the issues are that could be fixed to prevent it.  That doesn't need to be taken as a wholesale indictment on orthodox judaism and it doesn't require a need to attack and decry those who are trying to discuss the problem and or solutions (though I doubt much can really come from a forum such as this)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:35:53 AM by elit »

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
I think your assumption that everyone is trying to be critical of our community is where your wrong.  Perhaps some of us truly care about the individual. It's irrelevant how we compare statistically to other communities if there's even one suicide that could've and should've been prevented than that's one too many.  Unfortunately,  it's a lot more than one therefore we are discussing what the issues are that could be fixed to prevent it.  That doesn't need to be taken as a wholesale indictment on orthodox judaism and it doesn't require a need to attack and decry those who are trying to discuss the problem and or solutions (though I doubt much can really come from a forum such as this)
+1 though I partially disagree with your last statement. If the discussion was limited to just this forum you'd be correct but if its openly discussed here and on numerous other forums that would help drive awareness.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2016, 09:23:09 AM »
+1 though I partially disagree with your last statement. If the discussion was limited to just this forum you'd be correct but if its openly discussed here and on numerous other forums that would help drive awareness.
Valid point.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
Gee, that this thread should be deleted because anyone that needs help is already getting it.
Awareness is not necessary and we should condemn anyone who is pretending to help.
My question is, why do you assume that there isn't awareness?

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2016, 09:30:02 AM »
People like to cover things up

Offline Sport

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »
It's not an assumption. I witness it on a constant basis.

Offline Cheesecake

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2016, 09:32:31 AM »

It's irrelevant how we compare statistically to other communities if there's even one suicide that could've and should've been prevented than that's one too many. 

It is very relevant. If we have more, than the problem is likely something unique to our community.

If we have less, than in whatever it is that we do that makes the problem less than in other communities, perhaps we should be strengthening ourselves.

Offline elit

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2016, 09:39:35 AM »

It is very relevant. If we have more, than the problem is likely something unique to our community.

If we have less, than in whatever it is that we do that makes the problem less than in other communities, perhaps we should be strengthening ourselves.
I did not mean that we shouldn't look at other communities to help us understand what the issue. All I meant was that as long as there is what we can do to prevent it from happening then we should work on it regardless of the prevelancy verse others.