Author Topic: Silent Killer  (Read 213650 times)

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Killer
« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
I think we are off the rails here. Education regarding addiction is what is lacking. We all know that drug and alcohol use by a non-addict in moderatiom is ok. Education of parents and children on recognizing the signs and symptoms and the treatments and help that are available to addicts is sorely needed.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2016, 04:07:37 PM »
I find that hard to believe. Show me a source please. I stopped smoking though i never touched heroin.
You stopped smoking cigarettes and you smoke pot. How long have you stopped for. And who said that you touched heroin. Im saying the difficulty of quitting is comparable or harder than quitting heroin. I too have quit smoking, multiple times. Im on year 4 without cigarettes or any other tobbaco or e-cig and i want one every day.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline JTZ

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »
I think we are off the rails here. Education regarding addiction is what is lacking. We all know that drug and alcohol use by a non-addict in moderatiom is ok. Education of parents and children on recognizing the signs and symptoms and the treatments and help that are available to addicts is sorely needed.
Lets not forget an important issue is why they are turning to alcohol/drugs?
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline ya

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 06, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »
You stopped smoking cigarettes and you smoke pot. How long have you stopped for. And who said that you touched heroin. Im saying the difficulty of quitting is comparable or harder than quitting heroin. I too have quit smoking, multiple times. Im on year 4 without cigarettes or any other tobbaco or e-cig and i want one every day.
I smoked for 5 years a pack a day. Haven't touched a Cig in 4 years

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2016, 04:09:10 PM »
Sexual abuse

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2016, 04:09:33 PM »
I smoked for 5 years a pack a day. Haven't touched a Cig in 4 years
That is great. Were you able to quit the first time?
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
Sexual abuse
There are many reasons and no need to single that out unless you want a full blown PC thread.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2016, 04:11:22 PM »
That is great. Were you able to quit the first time?
Yes it was during the winter.  We're it's painful to smoke. (freezing outside)

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 06, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
Because they want to escape whatever their reality is. Because they are uneducated about the danger.
Sexual abuse
Drown pain

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 06, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »
Once again, you know nothing on this topic so please get lost. Yes, a smoking habit is more difficult to kick than a heroin habit. Ask any peraon who has tried atopping and any therapist you wish. Its damn hard.
I really dont want to go off on a tangent here as theyre both extremely difficult habits to stop. However, heroin has much more acute physical withdrawal symptoms.

The reason people say that cigarette smoking is harder to kick is due to the fact that you are (used to be) able to smoke anywhere. And they sell cigarettes everywhere. If a heroin addict stops using heroin and moves to a nice area where he doesnt associate with anyone using heroin he wont have to think about it every time he steps out on the street. However, someone who quits smoking will still have to smell it every time he walks down the street and see it in every gas station and convenience store he walks into.  Its also harder to mentally justify since most people havent lost their job or their spouse or their kids because they smoked cigarettes.

But just saying that a smoking habit is harder to kick than heroin is just plain incorrect.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 06, 2016, 04:18:06 PM »
I really dont want to go off on a tangent here as theyre both extremely difficult habits to stop. However, heroin has much more acute physical withdrawal symptoms.

The reason people say that cigarette smoking is harder to kick is due to the fact that you are (used to be) able to smoke anywhere. And they sell cigarettes everywhere. If a heroin addict stops using heroin and moves to a nice area where he doesnt associate with anyone using heroin he wont have to think about it every time he steps out on the street. However, someone who quits smoking will still have to smell it every time he walks down the street and see it in every gas station and convenience store he walks into.  Its also harder to mentally justify since most people havent lost their job or their spouse or their kids because they smoked cigarettes.

But just saying that a smoking habit is harder to kick than heroin is just plain incorrect.
Any mental health professional i have ever spoken with regarding this has compared the two and said cigarettes are harder for every reason you state. The ready availability and legal use trumps any physical symptoms that may occur with heroin withdrawal. There is no antidote to the ready availability of cigarettes. Also, the physical effects of smoking are not as readily apparent to a smoker.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 06, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »
Heroin is more addictive but as a habit might be easier to kick. This has been debated forever.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 06, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Any mental health professional i have ever spoken with regarding this has compared the two and said cigarettes are harder for every reason you state. The ready availability and legal use trumps any physical symptoms that may occur with heroin withdrawal. There is no antidote to the ready availability of cigarettes. Also, the physical effects of smoking are not as readily apparent to a smoker.
Heroin is more addictive but as a habit might be easier to kick. This has been debated forever.
Ask someone whos kicked both and see what they say.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 06, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »
Ask someone whos quit both and see what they say.
Find a heroine addict that has been using for thirty years and I will.  ;)

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
Ask someone whos kicked both and see what they say.
Any volunteers?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2016, 04:28:53 PM »
I quit smoking cigarettes and had it really easy since then (9 years now).
Never did heroin but I cannot fathom how the worlds most infamously addictive drug is considered less addictive than cigarettes.

Visibly Jewish

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 06, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
Find a heroine addict that has been using for thirty years and I will.  ;)

William Burroughs.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 06, 2016, 05:50:24 PM »
Noone is taking into affect the massive damage to a heroin users cognitive and behavioral capacities, which then make it ever more harder to quit than nicotine.

Much harder for a half brain damaged individual to control an addiction than a normal person.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 06, 2016, 05:59:27 PM »
Bottom line, what will you do the next time you suspect someone you know/love/care about is an addict? Will you be able to recognize the early warning signs? Do you know where or to whom to turn to for proper advice and guidance?

Educate yourself. The next crop of addicts are already acting out in their addiction. Learn the signs now.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »
Noone is taking into affect the massive damage to a heroin users cognitive and behavioral capacities, which then make it ever more harder to quit than nicotine.

Much harder for a half brain damaged individual to control an addiction than a normal person.
Ipcha mistabra. A normal person thinks hes "got it".