Author Topic: Silent Killer  (Read 216945 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Silent Killer
« Reply #740 on: July 06, 2017, 02:28:19 PM »
Some Marie mekomos to start with - u can look at tosfos avoda Zara 27b shayni.. etc..
As a tactical matter you will be much better off with a psak about this case directly.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 06, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »
Some Marie mekomos to start with - u can look at tosfos avoda Zara 27b shayni.. etc..
There is no mention of Christianity, Jesus etc. in 12 step "refuah"

I now think I understand. When a goy writes God you automatically define it as his religion. Even when he qualifies it as "of your understanding". I think the fear is that Jews are not familiar with G-d and will be forced to actually face the fact that the abstracts which are taught in our yeshiva system today do not comport with the realities of life.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 06, 2017, 02:51:26 PM »

I now think I understand. When a goy writes God you automatically define it as his religion. Even when he qualifies it as "of your understanding". I think the fear is that Jews are not familiar with G-d and will be forced to actually face the fact that the abstracts which are taught in our yeshiva system today do not comport with the realities of life.
No you are missing the boat. This is not about qualms based on real knowledge of what happens or the importance of it. It is based on ignorance. You will not get anywhere by arguing over the nitty gritty of it since they are not knowledgeable enough to have a real discussion about it. That is why a tosafos won't get you anywhere either. A psak, especially in writing, from the well known poskim will be worth much more because they will defer to the authority. This is purely a tactical issue. Don't get involved in the argument at all.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 06, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »

Aygart said he wants to research, I posted a starting point of what I believe to be a pertinent sugiya.

In no way was I implying that there is anything wrong with going to 12 step in a church...

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 06, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
No you are missing the boat. This is not about qualms based on real knowledge of what happens or the importance of it. It is based on ignorance. You will not get anywhere by arguing over the nitty gritty of it since they are not knowledgeable enough to have a real discussion about it. That is why a tosafos won't get you anywhere either. A psak, especially in writing, from the well known poskim will be worth much more because they will defer to the authority. This is purely a tactical issue. Don't get involved in the argument at all.
Going to work on that psak.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 06, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
Everything i said above.

When Bobov and Satmar and Belz and, and, and...decide to allow space for 12 step programs in their facilities AND the stigma of going to such programs is removed (big AND) then you have alternatives. Until such time as you can do 90 in 90 without going to a church facility  you have no alternative.
Sorry for taking this a bit off topic, my oldest brother (at this point already a victim of this silent killer :() went a good few years ago to those programs and meetings, my family lives smack in the middle of chassidsha town and the entire neighborhood knew exactly what was going on with him (yea he made some noise on the street) (when the yankees lost a game) and my mother did not kick him out of the house, did not hide at all the fact that he was getting the help he needed and was pretty openly proud of him that he was able to keep sober for like 2 years

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 06, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
I don't know how to remove my signature only for this thread.

My point is this: 

The 12 step program is a Christian program, and the meetings are typically in a church.  I do concede that the steps themselves reference G-d rather than Jesus or Christ. I do not know whether the concepts are Jewish (e.g. asking G-d to remove your imperfections), but are probably not themselves avoda zara.

In that context, I think I would ask a shaila.  That's why I queried if there are any published teshuvos on the topic.
I've been to AA meetings for course requirements  (yeah yeah u can skip the jokes already been made) in both church Meeting rooms and in regular business meetings.
I consulted with a rebbe that I believe you are machsiv and if I recall it correctly it was a complete non issue to him. also don't think I heard the word God even once sometimes the references "a higher power whatever you perceive that as"

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 06, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
Sorry for taking this a bit off topic, my oldest brother (at this point already a victim of this silent killer :() went a good few years ago to those programs and meetings, my family lives smack in the middle of chassidsha town and the entire neighborhood knew exactly what was going on with him (yea he made some noise on the street) (when the yankees lost a game) and my mother did not kick him out of the house, did not hide at all the fact that he was getting the help he needed and was pretty openly proud of him that he was able to keep sober for like 2 years
Great that he got help but i guarantee there was a stigma attached to him

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 06, 2017, 03:34:10 PM »
Great that he got help but i guarantee there was a stigma attached to him
Stigma of course! but did that stop my parents and the many other parents from satmer bobov belz etc. that my mother was in touch with getting the help those boys needed absolutely not! 

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 06, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »
Stigma of course! but did that stop my parents and the many other parents from satmer bobov belz etc. that my mother was in touch with getting the help those boys needed absolutely not!
Good fo them!!! Kol hakavod!!!

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #750 on: July 06, 2017, 03:46:24 PM »
+1000000000000000000000

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 06, 2017, 03:51:21 PM »
+1000000000000000000000
Unfortunately my brother (and some of his friends) (that i know) are not around anymore :(, as if they were lined up waiting NEXT TO GO!! >:( >:(

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 06, 2017, 03:53:53 PM »
Unfortunately my brother (and some of his friends) (that i know) are not around anymore :(, as if they were lined up waiting NEXT TO GO!! >:( >:(
Yes, a terminal disease will do that.

Thats why prevention and awareness is key.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 06, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »
Unfortunately my brother (and some of his friends) (that i know) are not around anymore :( , as if they were lined up waiting NEXT TO GO!! >:( >:(
:'(

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 06, 2017, 03:57:53 PM »
Nebech

Prison, insanity or death.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 06, 2017, 04:01:09 PM »
BDE. May 'ה give you and your family strength.

Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 06, 2017, 04:06:04 PM »
Nebech

Prison, insanity or death.
What about prison, NYU treatment (insanity), prison again (for selling prescribed drugs) and then found on yom tov death in some shelter apt. or whatever they call it! and that's after AA meetings, programs and therapy 

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 06, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »
BDE. May 'ה give you and your family strength.

Umein and thanks!

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #758 on: July 06, 2017, 04:21:45 PM »
What about prison, NYU treatment (insanity), prison again (for selling prescribed drugs) and then found on yom tov death in some shelter apt. or whatever they call it! and that's after AA meetings, programs and therapy
Too painful to even imagine.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Bukboy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 06, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
Too painful to even imagine.
Shouldn't of go into details.
I think i smoked too much ;)