Author Topic: Silent Killer  (Read 213685 times)

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: Silent Killer
« Reply #760 on: July 06, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »
Shouldn't of go into details.
I think i smoked too much ;)
You created an added level of awareness that makes it real!
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 06, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »
You created an added level of awareness that makes it real!
+100000000
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline Shua

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 07, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 12, 2017, 01:43:43 PM »
If this was cancer there would be an event yom tefila in Yankee stadium.
The death toll is rising. Anyone have any solutions?

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #764 on: July 12, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »

I'm sure if there was a definitive (or easy) solution, it would be applied.

In the meantime, we should all be aware of ourselves, and not live our lives (where it comes to relationships and Yiddishkeit) like:

many people that look like they're working, but are actually sleeping and operating on autopilot.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #765 on: July 12, 2017, 02:09:36 PM »
Teshuva...oh...and making more excuses for addicts not to get help.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Online aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #766 on: July 12, 2017, 02:09:57 PM »
Is this death toll greater than that from cancer?  Or do you mean because it is affecting younger people more?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 12, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »
Is this death toll greater than that from cancer?  Or do you mean because it is affecting younger people more?
Yes it is definitly greater amongst younger ppl in our communities. (Per my unscientific research).
Yet we have a chai lifeline dinner this evening, and a bike run, and support for families, and rccs to help with medical costs etc ect.
On the other hand...

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 12, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
Yes it is definitly greater amongst younger ppl in our communities. (Per my unscientific research).
Yet we have a chai lifeline dinner this evening, and a bike run, and support for families, and rccs to help with medical costs etc ect.
On the other hand...
Amudim.org

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 12, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »
Amudim.org
Amudim is a start, but the funding to help these kids pale in comparison to that of chai lifeline etc.. Try getting funding to help a kid pay for much needed therapy or rehab, its extremely scarce and difficult. 

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 12, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
Amudim is a start, but the funding to help these kids pale in comparison to that of chai lifeline etc.. Try getting funding to help a kid pay for much needed therapy or rehab, its extremely scarce and difficult.
As opppsed to those other organizations that can and do get funding, besides their fundraising.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 12, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »
On the other hand...
To be fair, Chai lifeline deals with sick people of all ages and their entire families. RCCS also is dealing with a wide range of ages. There is
Amudim.org
which BTW is making an event in the mountains in the near future. Also, as you have written earlier, Amudim weighs very carefully to find the right balance of publicity and awareness vs. avoiding issues which have been shown to arise from over-publicity. An event in Yankee Stadium may not be appropriate in this instance.

Is there more to be done, almost certainly, the question is exactly what since a proper balance is extremely important. I do not have the answer to that. I am happy that there are professional who know more than me who are making those decisions.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 12, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »

avoiding issues which have been shown to arise from over-publicity

Here you go again...what issues? Can you please once and for all provide a list of such issues and known victims of such issues? We're all big boys and girls here. Can you please be clear and provide source material and case studies to back you up.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 12, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »

To be fair, Chai lifeline deals with sick people of all ages and their entire families. RCCS also is dealing with a wide range of ages.
lol
Addiction affects all ages. More prevalent amongst the Young, but cancer is more prevalent amongst the old. So it all evens out...

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 12, 2017, 03:43:57 PM »
Here you go again...what issues? Can you please once and for all provide a list of such issues and known victims of such issues? We're all big boys and girls here. Can you please be clear and provide source material and case studies to back you up.
I am talking about in the world in general. The War on Drugs has been discussed many times by psychologists and many have shown that is publicity was its failure. In the other hand awareness is important. It is all a balance. These events seem to be a great start in building awareness but making something in Yankee stadium may not be appropriate here. Do you disagree with this?

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #775 on: July 12, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »

I can't help but jump in. This argument is pointless. You both will go round and round in circles. I will say that @aygart has been nothing but fair. Although you are asking him for source material, and he has provided link to articles showing that his concerns exist and are real, you yourself have never provided any proof or backing to your viewpoints. What you have done is consistently put words in his mouth and made unfounded and serious accusations against him.

Your clearly have an emotional connection to this issue, and that is commendable. G-d bless you and all those who do their utmost to help their fellow man. But there's no need to endlessly beat up on aygart just because his entirely reasonable opinion differs slightly to yours.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 12, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
I am talking about in the world in general. The War on Drugs has been discussed many times by psychologists and many have shown that is publicity was its failure. In the other hand awareness is important. It is all a balance. These events seem to be a great start in building awareness but making something in Yankee stadium may not be appropriate here. Do you disagree with this?
The War on Drugs was and remains a farce. I'm not one of those that stood outside the internet asifa and protested for sexual abuse awareness. No one has proposed an awareness event other than Amudim and they cant fill up Yankee Stadium. You say they're doing a good job with the balance, I agree. So why cant we get an Amudim awareness event into Yankee Stadium? Because THAT is too much publicity?

Your clearly have an emotional connection to this issue, and that is commendable. G-d bless you and all those who do their utmost to help their fellow man. But there's no need to endlessly beat up on aygart just because his entirely reasonable opinion differs slightly to yours.
As stated above I do and I believe so long as we say this has to be handled with kid gloves it will never get better. I apologize if he felt beat up. Thanks for your advocacy, I'm sure he can handle himself though.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 12, 2017, 04:40:54 PM »
No one has proposed an awareness event other than Amudim and they cant fill up Yankee Stadium. You say they're doing a good job with the balance, I agree. So why cant we get an Amudim awareness event into Yankee Stadium? Because THAT is too much publicity?

It might be and Amudim may feel that way as well. I am still not sure we even disagree at all. Even if we do it is not a very significant difference. "Handling with kid's gloves" is semantics and depends on what is meant by it. If it means thatthe issue needs to be confronted head on the it is true. If it means that we need to make events in Yanke Stadium then it may not be.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 12, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »
It might be and Amudim may feel that way as well. I am still not sure we even disagree at all. Even if we do it is not a very significant difference. "Handling with kid's gloves" is semantics and depends on what is meant by it. If it means thatthe issue needs to be confronted head on the it is true. If it means that we need to make events in Yanke Stadium then it may not be.
We dont disagree on the issue, only the method of addressing it. I say scream חי וקיים and you say shhhhhhh.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 12, 2017, 05:07:22 PM »