Author Topic: Water Filters?  (Read 4848 times)

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Water Filters?
« on: July 17, 2016, 02:35:23 AM »
I live in Passaic, NJ, where the water has a high lead ocntent, along with other contaminants.

I'm trying to figure out which filter to get, I'd welcome any input/advice/suggestions/corrections.

So far, here are my thoughts:

1) I'm probably best off going with a reverse-osmosis system.

2) Undersink system, so I'm not filtering my shower water (and also because RO whole-house systems cost upwards of $15k).

3) Many of the best rated systems according to consumer reports, use proprietary systems, meaning you're locked into using a particular salesman, and according to online reviews, many of these, frankly, stink. Some of the best systems there are culligan and Kinetico, which appear to have this issue.

4) I'd rather pay a bit more up front and not have to pay outrageous amounts everytime I need to change a filter.

5) I'd be interested in the Whirlpol WHER25, which is fairly well-rated by consumer reports, but it has awful reviews anywhere I looked online, including Amazon and Lowes.

Any jelp you can offer would be appreviated!

Offline JoeyShmoe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Water Filters?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »
I used http://aquafilterplus.com/ and am very happy. They're based in Lakewood, they would probably go to Passaic. I paid ~$500 for an under sink filter which is connected to my cold water (no separate faucet), I don't think it's actually RO but they claim it's as good.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:08:19 PM »
Regarding filters in general , does anyone have any actual knowledge regarding the need to replace the "good" minerals that are removed from the water?

Also, I don't see many reviews for this online, anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.costco.com/Hahn-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filtration-System.product.100170163.html

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:21 AM »
I am in the market for a WF. Can anyone recommend a product. Should I look at installing a under-sink one if I am a renter?

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
NOW i SEE WHY PPL ALWAYS START A NEW THREAD. ITS THE CULTURE.

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:05:33 PM »
I am in the market for a WF. Can anyone recommend a product. Should I look at installing a under-sink one if I am a renter?
i got a culligan under sink in my apartment. i have the 20 micron filter. i tried the 5 micron but the flow rate was to slow.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »

As a renter I would if there was no better option. Can you screw a filter onto your faucet? If so, Culligan has one that's top-rated by consumer reports.

I ended up going with this (below), and we're quite happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WR0PWE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:46:19 PM »
As a renter I would if there was no better option. Can you screw a filter onto your faucet? If so, Culligan has one that's top-rated by consumer reports.

I ended up going with this (below), and we're quite happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WR0PWE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pardon my ignorance, but why is that better than the $30 screw-on ones on Amazon that are certified in lead reduction and highly rated...?

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 10:59:30 PM »
Not sure if it is - but if you can't screw one on - i.e., you have a spray faucet - then that isn't an option.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but why is that better than the $30 screw-on ones on Amazon that are certified in lead reduction and highly rated...?
You are comparing spirit air to Singapore suites. The 2 stage will do a much better job of filtering and remove much smaller particles.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:46:20 PM »
Which $30 under sink ones are certified lead reducers?

I looked for one a while back, fwiu they only catch harmless sand and sediment. Not chemicals or lead cmiiw?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 11:48:34 PM »
Which $30 under sink ones are certified lead reducers?

I looked for one a while back, fwiu they only catch harmless sand and sediment. Not chemicals or lead cmiiw?
he is not talking about under sink but screw on

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 11:50:52 PM »
he is not talking about under sink but screw on
Huh? So screw on where?
Link

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 11:51:48 PM »

Offline yomo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 02:03:11 AM »
What about the brita filter you screw onto sink spout?
Seems to remove a lot of the negative compounds in water...

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
IMHO, reverse osmosis is not necessary or a good idea in normal applications. I think that it overfilters the water, it definitely wastes a ton of water, and the water tank takes up quite a bit of space under your sink. RO wastes at least 2 gallons for every 1 gallon it produces. If your water quality is similar to Mexico's, you can't be too careful, but for a place like Passaic it doesn't seem necessary.

A 2 stage filter from a good company should be enough to clean out impurities and bad tastes from the water. The system I use (and highly recommend) is Whirlpool WHED20. I bought it for $100 at Lowes a number of years ago and have been very happy. The replacement filters are model WHEEDF - I've changed every 5/6 months - and they cost $45-$50 (best price is at Lowe's, though occasionally some Amazon TPS has a good price). At the price point it is both affordable and good value.

The WHEEDF does filter out lead. I recommend sticking to the manufacturer replacement and not off brand - it's not worth saving money if you don't have the NSF certification.

Installing this on my sink was easy, though it requires some basic handyman skills. I already had a hole drilled on my counter for a soap dispenser that I don't need, so I took that out and put the faucet into that hole. The undersink installation requires 2 things - mount the filter bracket to the cabinet (simple drilling and leveling required) and connect the water hoses. They make connecting the water hoses to the system itself extremely easy (snap on), so the most challenging part is connecting to your cold water supply. The filter uses pex pipe and my house is also pex pipe, so I just bought a splitter valve and swapped it in for my cold water valve. If you need a handyman to do the last part for you I imagine it won't cost much.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
One of the best rated by CR: https://www.amazon.com/Culligan-FM-15A-Faucet-Advanced-Filtration/dp/B00006WNMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497968647&sr=8-1&keywords=culligan+water+filter+fm-15
The key word in how it describes its filtration is "reduces" since the filtration levels of this are not in the same league as the low end under sink filters. It may be good for what it is but it is not a thorough filtration. If you have known contaminants in the water you will want better than this.

Offline ADG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 02:32:38 PM »
Thank you guys for the help reviving the thread.

What is the installation cost on an under sink filter?

Whats the difference between this and the one recommended above?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHYLXY4/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Offline sguitarist18

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
IMHO, reverse osmosis is not necessary or a good idea in normal applications. I think that it overfilters the water, it definitely wastes a ton of water, and the water tank takes up quite a bit of space under your sink. RO wastes at least 2 gallons for every 1 gallon it produces. If your water quality is similar to Mexico's, you can't be too careful, but for a place like Passaic it doesn't seem necessary.

A 2 stage filter from a good company should be enough to clean out impurities and bad tastes from the water. The system I use (and highly recommend) is Whirlpool WHED20. I bought it for $100 at Lowes a number of years ago and have been very happy. The replacement filters are model WHEEDF - I've changed every 5/6 months - and they cost $45-$50 (best price is at Lowe's, though occasionally some Amazon TPS has a good price). At the price point it is both affordable and good value.

The WHEEDF does filter out lead. I recommend sticking to the manufacturer replacement and not off brand - it's not worth saving money if you don't have the NSF certification.

Installing this on my sink was easy, though it requires some basic handyman skills. I already had a hole drilled on my counter for a soap dispenser that I don't need, so I took that out and put the faucet into that hole. The undersink installation requires 2 things - mount the filter bracket to the cabinet (simple drilling and leveling required) and connect the water hoses. They make connecting the water hoses to the system itself extremely easy (snap on), so the most challenging part is connecting to your cold water supply. The filter uses pex pipe and my house is also pex pipe, so I just bought a splitter valve and swapped it in for my cold water valve. If you need a handyman to do the last part for you I imagine it won't cost much.

Many people have issues with this leaking. That may be due to over-tightening, but with that quantity of issues I'd be concerned. Especially for something inside wooden cabinaets.