Author Topic: Turks and Caicos (Grace Bay) TR  (Read 2569 times)

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Turks and Caicos (Grace Bay) TR
« on: April 06, 2021, 07:04:14 PM »
Justed wanted to say that the TRs and destination info is what got me into DDF and is one of the great sources any frum jew can use to plan any kind of travel.
First time doing this, will try to include all pertinent info.
We flew out of EWR to PLS on a morning flight, both flights were 737s but the way there was a much newer bird. From what I can tell most of the flights come in, refuel and quick clean and go back right away. Both ways the ride was pretty bumpy. Only a light snack served, no meal, there is plenty of kosher breakfast options in EWR. Flight time was 3 hours 20 minutes. Turks and Caicos have a pretty thorough covid vetting process, with specific insurance and testing requirements which we had already passed, so I was surprised to be given yet another covid related form to fill out. That and immigration and customs forms and I already had what to do for part of the flight. There isn't much views during the flight when coming from NY aside from the final descent which is magnificent. The views are nearly exclusively on the left side of the plane and the opposite on the way out. The airport is tiny, they really over did it with the hand sanitizing etc. Immigration was pretty straightforward, we came with carry on only, "nothing to declare" (we had a full bag of food) and we were out fairly quickly. Taxis are just old cars or vans, some of them pretty derelict, the prices are capped and are quite fair. The drive to the main Grace Bay resort area (Beaches, Grace Bay Club, Seven Stars...) is about 15 - 20 minutes with some nice views.
We stayed at Seven Stars, from the outside the place looks like a Disney castle... Once inside its pretty refined and stylish, with a very open and spacious vibe. Even the small rooms are very generously planned. The service is very good, suitcases taken for you etc, check in done while sitting in lounging area and served drinks. The resort isn't huge, there are 3 buildings with rooms. Make sure you dont stay in the most left hand building as it right next to the Ritz Carlton development being built and might be noisy. The entire resort was mask optional for guests, I didn't see anyone wearing a mask. All the employees were fully masked, even at the beach.
Our room was a junior ocean view suite. It had full kitchen facilities, very handy, the in built fridges are bigger than typical and they have a nice freezer section with a ice machine. The bathrooms are very well appointed, with big walk in showers and super deep soaking tub. This rooms eating area was on the balcony facing the view. The beach, while not the widest part of Grace Bay beach, is stunningly beautiful and clean, with powdery white sand and the famous turquoise carribean water.
There is a supermarket literally 2 minutes walk from the resort, its walking distance from a few of the main resorts. They had many kosher items in all departments, even wine. (I understand that the wain wine store in the center of town has a very good selection). Prices are exorbitant of course, but we were ready for that and brought alot with us. 3asy way to save- buy your own drinks instead of using beach service. We didnt really do much, basically just chilled at the beach most of the time. Smokers should be aware that the only part of the property where you can smoke is the beach proper, not even at the beachside bar. The service at the beach and everywhere was excellent, the pools were clean, water stations well placed. The spa seemed nice, DW got a massage and enjoyed. One thing we really enjoyed was the Catamaran ride that was included. They include all non motorized water sports with the room and were very happy to take us out on it. It's wind powered, no engine, so it's the most serene peaceful ride, you literally glide over the incredible translucent water. The beach is clean, quiet (I think when we were there it was extra quiet) and beautiful.
We arrived at the airport for the flight back less than 2 hours before departure, was plenty of time. They have an outdoor balcony overlooking the tarmac with a bar and seating area. I got some great footage of planes landing. It's probably the only saving grace of a otherwise miserable airport.
I think Turks and Caicos is a great place for the frum traveler, it's relatively quiet, very safe and basically the same length flight from NY and Miami. I suspect that it's not talked about here too much because of lack of points properties. When the Ritz development is finished I expect that will change.

The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
Re: Turks and Caicos (Grace Bay) TR
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:15:51 PM »

Offline moisheyb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 10:06:53 PM »
Wow nice tr!!
Welcome to ddf!

How much was the flight and hotel?

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 01:34:16 AM »
Wow nice tr!!
Welcome to ddf!

How much was the flight and hotel?
Flights were $300. Hotel was ~$750 a night. It was a very good time to go...

Offline moisheyb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »
Flights were $300. Hotel was ~$750 a night. It was a very good time to go...
So definitely on the expensive side for the hotel.
Did you notice if the hotel is shabbos friendly?

Offline JlmBoi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 03:59:38 PM »
So definitely on the expensive side for the hotel.
Did you notice if the hotel is shabbos friendly?
It's not a cheap place... I know people who have been at the next door resort for Shabbos. Ask the Chabad guy (search Jewish Turks and caicos on Instagram). I didn't notice if my hotel would work for Shabbos.