Author Topic: Yehoshua's South Africa TR  (Read 49160 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Yehoshua's South Africa TR
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2016, 05:10:44 AM »
I know this comes a bit late, but why didn't you use the AA flagship checkin at JFK? It brings you to the front of the security line...

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2016, 09:01:57 AM »
I know this comes a bit late, but why didn't you use the AA flagship checkin at JFK? It brings you to the front of the security line...
I was looking for it, asked specifically for it, and was told this was it. Didn't have time to run around the terminal looking with a baby and wife who don't run. Just out of curiosity, where is it when coming up the escalator from the air train?

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »
I was looking for it, asked specifically for it, and was told this was it. Didn't have time to run around the terminal looking with a baby and wife who don't run. Just out of curiosity, where is it when coming up the escalator from the air train?

You would make a right, and it's all the way at the end. Narrow corridor to the Flagship check in, than there was this lady who pushed us to the front of the line.

Offline Issac Karahod

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2016, 07:22:28 PM »
 Awesome TR, as usual. And thanks for all your advice a few months ago. You've inspired me and made me realize such trips are indeed possible.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:08:32 PM by jj1000 »

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2016, 02:40:48 PM »
I said I would eventually read through this again and have real comments, so here we go!

- We had KoshAir on our return from Iceland and actually really liked it! It was basically cholent meat, but it tasted very good. We had the same brownie you did, and I thought it was good.
- Sorry you guys were split for J/F on DXB-JNB. Frustrating that a second F seat never opened up. Dubai looks like a nice short stop.
- Looks like Shabbos in JNB is a nice experience. Really clutch how much Kosher food there is and how cheap it is!
- The room at the Rhino Game Lodge looks really nice! I was expecting something like a tent, did not realize these reserves have such nice lodges. The first sunset looks beautiful, like from a movie. I also can't believe it's under $200 a night. Did that price include the game drives?
- I have to say your curry or whatever weird food you ate looked less than appetizing. :-X :P You're wife's food looked much better! :)
- A safari drive really seems like an incredible experience! Looking back now, do you guys regret splitting up/not going on the drives together/not just making the babysitter deal with a crying baby? Seems a shame to go all that way and not spend as much time as possible on drives. Which leads to my next point...
- Does it get boring at all going for 4-5 game drives in 2 days? Obviously seeing the animals is insanely cool, but can it get to be a bit repetitive as you sit in the jeep and watch? I picture one good 4 hour trip to be worthwhile, but I know usually most people go for a few days. What did you think?
- Mmmm dessert at Brioche looked great!
- Sorry for all the hassles at the IC and Hertz. I can totally hear your voice and see you stomping back to Hertz. ;D
- lol @ your wife not liking to go to lounges. My DW feels the same way. :)
Picture a cinnamon bun style roll, but instead of sweat it’s filled with pieces or roasted garlic and spinach.
Instead of "sweat"?? LOL
- I think it's interesting how nice most of the hotels room were you stayed in despite them not being suites.
- Finally, as I mentioned before - super cool that the lounge in AUH has hotel rooms!

One final comment/question: the safari sounds like an awesome trip, something I would love to do one day. But, Cape Town seems just like a "nice" side thing to do - a hike or two, a gondola ride, some penguins, and Kosher food. Is it crazy to go just to a safari and skip CT? I know people talk about it so much, but it just doesn't seem like such a WOW place.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write up the TR. Really an aspirational trip!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »
- The room at the Rhino Game Lodge looks really nice! I was expecting something like a tent, did not realize these reserves have such nice lodges. The first sunset looks beautiful, like from a movie. I also can't believe it's under $200 a night. Did that price include the game drives?
Yes, all meals and 2 game drives/day were included.
- A safari drive really seems like an incredible experience! Looking back now, do you guys regret splitting up/not going on the drives together/not just making the babysitter deal with a crying baby? Seems a shame to go all that way and not spend as much time as possible on drives. Which leads to my next point...
I don't regret it much since I went on 3/4 drives. DW doesn't regret it because she felt horrible after she found out that DD was crying the whole time. She said she would have been thinking and worrying about it the whole time that it would have ruined the experience for her anyway. I didn't have the same concerns, but DW wouldn't have gone alone on the last drive if I hadn't stayed back. Also I didn't feel too bad in the end knowing that the last drive she did didn't see all that much unfortunately.
- Does it get boring at all going for 4-5 game drives in 2 days? Obviously seeing the animals is insanely cool, but can it get to be a bit repetitive as you sit in the jeep and watch?
Not. At. All.
I picture one good 4 hour trip to be worthwhile, but I know usually most people go for a few days. What did you think?
At least for me the drives were addicting. Each time they went by super quickly and the variety of animals seen changes so much that it's hardly a repeat. Each drive is 2-4 hours and on each one we saw new animals or more of them. Two of the ladies on my 3rd drive were from JNB and come 4-5 times a year. They haven't tired of it either, though I can hear going that frequently could get tiring. Even so they saw some animals they'd never seen before even after 30+ visits.
- Sorry for all the hassles at the IC and Hertz. I can totally hear your voice and see you stomping back to Hertz. ;D
Lol
- lol @ your wife not liking to go to lounges. My DW feels the same way. :)Instead of "sweat"?? LOL
::) Typo of the TR. Sweet, meaning sugar and cinnamon, but you already knew that.  ;)
- Finally, as I mentioned before - super cool that the lounge in AUH has hotel rooms!
Through from what I hear now they limit your time to 6 hours or so as of a few weeks ago.
One final comment/question: the safari sounds like an awesome trip, something I would love to do one day. But, Cape Town seems just like a "nice" side thing to do - a hike or two, a gondola ride, some penguins, and Kosher food. Is it crazy to go just to a safari and skip CT? I know people talk about it so much, but it just doesn't seem like such a WOW place.
Thing is CPT is gorgeous, we were just there in the wrong season. I could have spent a few more days there and not been bored. There's a whole wine-country area we didn't see, including kosher wineries where you can picnic and enjoy wine tastings (even though you know that's not really our thing). There are a lot of small towns to explore and see that we just drove through, plus islands to explore if you were so inclined. It's not on the same level of adventure as a safari, but it's one of the prettiest cities in the world (IMO) and has one of the nicest coastal drives as well. I don't think a visit to SA is complete without at least spending a few days in CPT.
Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write up the TR. Really an aspirational trip!
Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for reading.

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »
.Thing is CPT is gorgeous, we were just there in the wrong season. I could have spent a few more days there and not been bored. There's a whole wine-country area we didn't see, including kosher wineries where you can picnic and enjoy wine tastings (even though you know that's not really our thing). There are a lot of small towns to explore and see that we just drove through, plus islands to explore if you were so inclined. It's not on the same level of adventure as a safari, but it's one of the prettiest cities in the world (IMO) and has one of the nicest coastal drives as well. I don't think a visit to SA is complete without at least spending a few days in CPT.

if i may ... CPT is a WOW place... end. of. story.
If you skipped a safari to stay in CPT i'd understand  (not that i'd do it)
now if you were only in SA for a day or two... Mileage Run? maybe you would skip CPT for a Safari

Online thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2016, 12:18:26 PM »
Very difficult to find,  especially if you're not coming from outside.  Don't feel bad

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2016, 12:25:05 PM »
Very difficult to find,  especially if you're not coming from outside.  Don't feel bad
Thanks. At least I don't feel like a complete idiot.

Offline jomaster28

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2016, 03:59:51 PM »
I am going to South Africa in December and have a question regarding the airport. If I land in JNB at 8:30AM and then leave to CPT at 10:10 does that give me enough time to get my luggage and go through security again?

both flights are on SAA however I booked the tickets totally separate. so to my knowledge I need to get my luggage and then check it in again.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
I am going to South Africa in December and have a question regarding the airport. If I land in JNB at 8:30AM and then leave to CPT at 10:10 does that give me enough time to get my luggage and go through security again?

both flights are on SAA however I booked the tickets totally separate. so to my knowledge I need to get my luggage and then check it in again.
You need to get your luggage and recheck even if it's on the same ticket unfortunately. They may be able to tag your bag at your origin all the way to CPT, but you'd still need to pick it up, go back upstairs and drop it off before going through security. It will be tight.

Offline jomaster28

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2016, 04:25:50 PM »
You need to get your luggage and recheck even if it's on the same ticket unfortunately. They may be able to tag your bag at your origin all the way to CPT, but you'd still need to pick it up, go back upstairs and drop it off before going through security. It will be tight.

Does TSA Precheck or Global Entry help out in JNB?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2016, 04:26:18 PM »
Does TSA Precheck or Global Entry help out in JNB?
No

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2016, 08:30:20 PM »

I made it through with a similar connection. The security will not be the problem. Customs can be slow at times. Having flown through the airport a few times

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
@Yehoshua

did u have a special promo when booking Black Rhino Game Lodge in Pilanesburg Game Reserve for ~$168 cash??? current price is near $450/ night.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »
@Yehoshua

did u have a special promo when booking Black Rhino Game Lodge in Pilanesburg Game Reserve for ~$168 cash??? current price is near $450/ night.
No, though I booked via getaroom.com and was there in July.

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
@Yehoshua

Huuuuuuuuge difference between July and December
December is summer holiday and July is off-season

Offline moisheyb

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »
Huuuuuuuuge difference between July and December
December is summer holiday and July is off-season

What's the weather like in March/ April?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
What's the weather like in March/ April?
That's a better question for Google or the South Africa thread, but it's the beginning of autumn.

Offline moisheyb

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
That's a better question for Google or the South Africa thread, but it's the beginning of autumn.

Got it thx!