Author Topic: Yehoshua's South Africa TR  (Read 16623 times)

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Yehoshua's South Africa TR
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2016, 12:00:13 AM »
First and foremost, VEGETARIAN?!?!?!  :o :o

But seriously, fantastic TR! SA is high on my bucket list (my dad is South African) and im sure this TR will come in handy when i finally find the time to go.
Thanks for all the effort in writing this and sounds like you had an awesome trip.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2016, 12:27:57 AM »
First and foremost, VEGETARIAN?!?!?!  :o :o

But seriously, fantastic TR! SA is high on my bucket list (my dad is South African) and im sure this TR will come in handy when i finally find the time to go.
Thanks for all the effort in writing this and sounds like you had an awesome trip.
You learn something new every day!

Glad you enjoyed, though if your dad is South African why haven't you been yet?!

Offline MosheD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2016, 12:30:05 AM »
You learn something new every day!

Glad you enjoyed, though if your dad is South African why haven't you been yet?!
Taka a good Shaila.

Offline philbenjoe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Avis Prefered
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2016, 05:32:08 PM »
Wow. GREAT TR! I'm glad you went! Why didn't your child join for the game drives?
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr Seuss

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2016, 05:34:32 PM »
Wow. GREAT TR! I'm glad you went! Why didn't your child join for the game drives?
Thanks. So am I. We couldn't bring our daughter on the game drives because the lodge doesn't allow kids under 6 on the drives (though we saw other lodges that did).

Offline philbenjoe

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Avis Prefered
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »
Did you go to Ohr Sameach in CPT? Also SPAR? It's like Checkers.
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr Seuss

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »
Did you go to Ohr Sameach in CPT? Also SPAR? It's like Checkers.
I only went to Morasha in CPT. I didn't go to Spar or Shoprite despite Shoprite being across the street because the selection at Checkers was amazing and was told it was the best. What advantage does Spar have over Checkers?

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2016, 08:19:33 PM »
Great, great TR! Loved it!

I've been eyeing SA for the longest. One of these days we'll have to make it down there.

I love how AA managed to stand out of all carriers on their one and only leg of the trip  ::)

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »
Great, great TR! Loved it!

I've been eyeing SA for the longest. One of these days we'll have to make it down there.

I love how AA managed to stand out of all carriers on their one and only leg of the trip  ::)
Yeah, in the worst way possible. If you're going to go to SA, consider going from Brazil, since it's illegal to charge YQ on flights departing Brazil and SAA flies GRU-JNB. Glad you enjoyed BTW.

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2016, 09:57:07 PM »
Yeah, in the worst way possible. If you're going to go to SA, consider going from Brazil, since it's illegal to charge YQ on flights departing Brazil and SAA flies GRU-JNB. Glad you enjoyed BTW.
They're pretty good at it nowadays.

I doubt I'll be going to SA from SA (not a typo...) since I already use my vacation days going there.

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2016, 05:10:44 AM »
I know this comes a bit late, but why didn't you use the AA flagship checkin at JFK? It brings you to the front of the security line...

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2016, 09:01:57 AM »
I know this comes a bit late, but why didn't you use the AA flagship checkin at JFK? It brings you to the front of the security line...
I was looking for it, asked specifically for it, and was told this was it. Didn't have time to run around the terminal looking with a baby and wife who don't run. Just out of curiosity, where is it when coming up the escalator from the air train?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 150
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, MLife Gold, National Executive Elite, Radisson Gold, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, DansDeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite.
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »
I was looking for it, asked specifically for it, and was told this was it. Didn't have time to run around the terminal looking with a baby and wife who don't run. Just out of curiosity, where is it when coming up the escalator from the air train?

You would make a right, and it's all the way at the end. Narrow corridor to the Flagship check in, than there was this lady who pushed us to the front of the line.

Offline Issac Karahod

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2016, 07:22:28 PM »
 Awesome TR, as usual. And thanks for all your advice a few months ago. You've inspired me and made me realize such trips are indeed possible.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 11:08:32 PM by jj1000 »

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2016, 02:40:48 PM »
I said I would eventually read through this again and have real comments, so here we go!

- We had KoshAir on our return from Iceland and actually really liked it! It was basically cholent meat, but it tasted very good. We had the same brownie you did, and I thought it was good.
- Sorry you guys were split for J/F on DXB-JNB. Frustrating that a second F seat never opened up. Dubai looks like a nice short stop.
- Looks like Shabbos in JNB is a nice experience. Really clutch how much Kosher food there is and how cheap it is!
- The room at the Rhino Game Lodge looks really nice! I was expecting something like a tent, did not realize these reserves have such nice lodges. The first sunset looks beautiful, like from a movie. I also can't believe it's under $200 a night. Did that price include the game drives?
- I have to say your curry or whatever weird food you ate looked less than appetizing. :-X :P You're wife's food looked much better! :)
- A safari drive really seems like an incredible experience! Looking back now, do you guys regret splitting up/not going on the drives together/not just making the babysitter deal with a crying baby? Seems a shame to go all that way and not spend as much time as possible on drives. Which leads to my next point...
- Does it get boring at all going for 4-5 game drives in 2 days? Obviously seeing the animals is insanely cool, but can it get to be a bit repetitive as you sit in the jeep and watch? I picture one good 4 hour trip to be worthwhile, but I know usually most people go for a few days. What did you think?
- Mmmm dessert at Brioche looked great!
- Sorry for all the hassles at the IC and Hertz. I can totally hear your voice and see you stomping back to Hertz. ;D
- lol @ your wife not liking to go to lounges. My DW feels the same way. :)
Picture a cinnamon bun style roll, but instead of sweat itís filled with pieces or roasted garlic and spinach.
Instead of "sweat"?? LOL
- I think it's interesting how nice most of the hotels room were you stayed in despite them not being suites.
- Finally, as I mentioned before - super cool that the lounge in AUH has hotel rooms!

One final comment/question: the safari sounds like an awesome trip, something I would love to do one day. But, Cape Town seems just like a "nice" side thing to do - a hike or two, a gondola ride, some penguins, and Kosher food. Is it crazy to go just to a safari and skip CT? I know people talk about it so much, but it just doesn't seem like such a WOW place.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write up the TR. Really an aspirational trip!