Author Topic: Appliance Repair Thread -- Any Technicians Here?  (Read 97548 times)

Offline joe1234

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
Re: Appliance Repair Thread -- Any Technicians Here?
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2016, 09:58:15 PM »
Absolutely.  My freezer door had about 25 screws that were hidden inside the gasket around the perimeter.  It was just a matter of unscrewing, replacing, and screwing back again.
Before you replace the switch, does the dryer door shut perfectly?  Maybe it is being jiggled out of place.  Are there any black dots where the door grinds against the machine when closing it?  It could be bent a bit out of shape (like if heavy things were kept on top).
thanks. yes the dryer door closes perfectly and there are no black dots and not bent. Is it complicated to replace the switch that I need to call someone down or can I do it myself?

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
thanks. yes the dryer door closes perfectly and there are no black dots and not bent. Is it complicated to replace the switch that I need to call someone down or can I do it myself?
I'd still test out the switch first.  If you tape the switch down will the dryer stay on the whole time?  Or at least longer than without the tape? (Tape is heat sensitive and may not last the whole time.)  You may be able to jam a piece of paper in the crack around the switch to keep it depressed.  Just make sure the paper is long enough so that you can pull it out after your test.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
I'd still test out the switch first.  If you tape the switch down will the dryer stay on the whole time?  Or at least longer than without the tape? (Tape is heat sensitive and may not last the whole time.)  You may be able to jam a piece of paper in the crack around the switch to keep it depressed.  Just make sure the paper is long enough so that you can pull it out after your test.
It's not the dryer that's the problem it's the washer that keeps on pausing.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »
It's not the dryer that's the problem it's the washer that keeps on pausing.
At which point in the cycle does it pause? Is it giving you any error messages? Sometimes you can get an error message and GIYF for the meaning with lots of info. Also, if the error message doesn't come up on its own you can try and press the power and start buttons simultaneously (maybe hold it down?) for the error code to display.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2016, 02:40:38 PM »
At which point in the cycle does it pause? Is it giving you any error messages? Sometimes you can get an error message and GIYF for the meaning with lots of info. Also, if the error message doesn't come up on its own you can try and press the power and start buttons simultaneously (maybe hold it down?) for the error code to display.
dont know when it pauses exactly but it can pause up to 2 or 3 times a cycle. i have no idea how to get error messages as its not digital and there is no display.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2016, 02:43:45 PM »
dont know when it pauses exactly but it can pause up to 2 or 3 times a cycle. i have no idea how to get error messages as its not digital and there is no display.
Is it a front loader that locks for the duration of the cycle?

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »
Is it a front loader that locks for the duration of the cycle?
no its a stacker with the dryer on top of the washer and it doesnt lock the whole time only at certain times

Offline shulem92

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
I was using my oven yesterday (GE hotpoint) for 2 hours on 350. When I attempted to shut it off afterwards, the knob melted in my hands! Apparently the whole control panel started melting! The clock still works though. Any ideas of what transpired? (No. The vents weren't blocked)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »
I was using my oven yesterday (GE hotpoint) for 2 hours on 350. When I attempted to shut it off afterwards, the knob melted in my hands! Apparently the whole control panel started melting! The clock still works though. Any ideas of what transpired? (No. The vents weren't blocked)
Best thing for you would be to call GE and tell them this story! (were you cooking on the stove top as well? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline shulem92

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »
Best thing for you would be to call GE and tell them this story! (were you cooking on the stove top as well?
Nope. Nothing stovetop. I was wondering if anyone ever heard of such a thing, (and/or its possible causes) before I call GE

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2016, 09:47:58 PM »
am i supposed to be taping the sensor or the peice that moves down when the top gets closed?

Offline Palm5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2016, 09:51:20 PM »
Anyone know how to replace and solder capacitors for a range control panel that is extremely dim?

Frigidare part #316080102 is the replacement module but it is discontinued so have to improvise

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2016, 09:52:29 PM »
am i supposed to be taping the sensor or the peice that moves down when the top gets closed?

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2016, 09:54:45 PM »
Anyone know how to replace and solder capacitors for a range control panel that is extremely dim?

Frigidare part #316080102 is the replacement module but it is discontinued so have to improvise
Just out of curiosity...does it have a dimmer switch/option on it?

Offline Palm5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2016, 10:04:09 PM »
Just out of curiosity...does it have a dimmer switch/option on it?

Nope. It's a known issue apparently with this model.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
so when i do that the top doesnt close. thats what im supposed to be doing right?

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2016, 10:13:15 AM »
so when i do that the top doesnt close. thats what im supposed to be doing right?
You should be able to do one strong piece of tape across that little bobbing pin to keep it down and still be able to close the lid.  As long as that pin is FULLY depressed (all the way down inside its hole), the machine thinks that the lid is shut and has depressed it so the machine should work.

After all this,  I just reread your posts. I was thinking dryer.  If the washer lid is not closed properly the above would also apply, however FIRST I would check out something else.  What are you putting in the washer when it pauses?  It is a safely feature for the washer to stop when the load is not BALANCED appropriately inside.  Make sure the load looks relatively symmetrical in the tub.  Too much on one side vs the other side will cause the cycle to pause until you readjust the inside load and start it again.

Offline joe1234

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2016, 10:15:37 AM »
You should be able to do one strong piece of tape across that little bobbing pin to keep it down and still be able to close the lid.  As long as that pin is FULLY depressed (all the way down inside its hole), the machine thinks that the lid is shut and has depressed it so the machine should work.

After all this,  I just reread your posts. I was thinking dryer.  If the washer lid is not closed properly the above would also apply, however FIRST I would check out something else.  What are you putting in the washer when it pauses?  It is a safely feature for the washer to stop when the load is not BALANCED appropriately inside.  Make sure the load looks relatively symmetrical in the tub.  Too much on one side vs the other side will cause the cycle to pause until you readjust the inside load and start it again.
it happens in the washer even when i put nothing inside
also by the washer there is no bobbing pin. it only has a sensor to tell that its closed and a hook that goes down when the lid gets shut that can lock in the lid, but if i tape that down the lid doesnt close
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 10:50:01 AM by joe1234 »

Offline elit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »
This is probably a stretch but maybe someone here can help. I'm borrowed a pressure washer to clean my deck but something is wrong. The hoses are attached real right but water is still leaking a ton out of the area where the garfen hose connects to the machine it also is running straight out of the pressure house even thought the trigger is not being presses. I'm not sure if that's one problem or 2 different problems. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2016, 12:04:44 AM »
This is probably a stretch but maybe someone here can help. I'm borrowed a pressure washer to clean my deck but something is wrong. The hoses are attached real right but water is still leaking a ton out of the area where the garfen hose connects to the machine it also is running straight out of the pressure house even thought the trigger is not being presses. I'm not sure if that's one problem or 2 different problems. Anyone have any ideas?
Make sure it has the rubber gaskets where needed, and that they're not dried out.