Topic Wiki

Open Serve: Do 1 of the following:
1) Buy a temporary card. (free in cvs in NJ won’t take cc)($3.95 fee), or
2) Open online. They’ll send you a card. (free)
Note that you COULD have more than one of these: Bluebird (BB), Redcard and serve. 

Loading Serve: Serve does not have any fees to load money.
a) At CVS, 7-11, and Rite Aid ONLY CASH can be loaded.
b) At Walmart GCs …uh Debit Cards (besides Vanilla cards) can be loaded onto Serve just like onto BB. Load limit: $2500/day up to $5000/month
c) At Family Dollar max $499.99/Day, not hard coded, YMMV, Cash or Debit/Gift Card.
WARNING: There are reports of debit cards being drained at FD, and not loading onto Serve, so FD is not recommended.
d) An Amex CC of the serve cardholder can be linked and used to fund your Serve ONLINE. Load limit: $200 per day/$1000 per month
Amex cc loads are not considered cash advance. They DO NOT earn points, or count towards a spending threshold.
e) Debit Cards linked to Serve: $200/day up to 1000/month ONLINE.  But only a permanent DC with your name on it. (NOT GCs)

So your total loading limit per month, if using all 3 methods is $7K.

-Serve has a $1 monthly inactivity fee (waived in VA, NY and TX) that is waived if you use Direct Deposit OR add $500.
-If Serve has a bonus for using direct deposit, use AP.

Using the funds on Serve:
-Free ATM use/withdrawal at MoneyPass ATMs. $2 elsewhere.
-Serve has a Bill Pay feature – same as BB.  You tell them who to pay, and they send a check for you.  You can pay up to 5k of unregistered billers, but 10K of registered ones (registered= those on their bill pay list). Pay your Credit Cards bills as well as many other bills or any person!
WARNING: Do not use the bill pay feature to pay the Credit Card that is linked for online loads.
-money in your Serve account can be withdrawn directly to a linked bank account, which, if done too much, may be seen as risky by Serve, but in moderation should be fine.
Withdraw to your bank https://secure.serve.com/Actions/WithdrawMoney

Make sure the name, address and phone number on your profile match your credit card billing address, or you may get declined.  When linking your credit card at serve.com, the website will only show you the address on your profile, but not the phone number, so this is easy to overlook.  Go to profile, and check/update your phone number there.

Error likely with the Serve account:
When you create a new account and add a credit card, you will be allowed to do the first transaction. After that, your account will probably go into system lockdown until you verify some information. Likely error message for this case is "Risk declined operation" when you try to add money on to the account. You will need to send in (online, fax or mail) a photo ID and a copy of your credit card or statement. Upload your documents here -
https://secure.serve.com/User/SecureFileUpload. Then Call up AMEX Account Protection Services at 1-800-555-4318 and tell them you uploaded the documents and ask them to verify it for you.
« Last edited by Iz on August 18, 2016, 10:36:02 AM »

Author Topic: Amexserve/Softcard  (Read 1397395 times)

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Serve.com
« Reply #600 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »
You won't get point for the actual amount you're loading but towards a threshold it will count.

Is that specifically for loading serve with an Amex?

I specifically asked upthread and in a theoretical scenario involving a Barclays card was told I'd get points.
I have read the wiki. For clarification, with Serve I can load my Serve card with a Barclays CC, get Barclays points, then pay a Citi CC bill with Serve? yes

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #601 on: July 17, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »

Is that specifically for loading serve with an Amex?

I specifically asked upthread and in a theoretical scenario involving a Barclays card was told I'd get points.
This only applies to Amex. If you're using other cards you will get for base spending.

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #602 on: July 17, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »
This only applies to Amex. If you're using other cards you will get for base spending.
Ahhhh!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline loveddeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 20, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »
I have read Wiki (and last 3-4 pages, in addition to first 2 pages of this thread), and couple other threads from google search. I currently have BB, but want to get Serve, primarily for AMEX offers and $1000 extra limit on Serve that can be added by CC/DC. I am currently on prepaid phone plan, so may be I am not eligible for ISIS..I haven't read much into it yet. I have a couple of clarifications/questions. Hope someone can answer these.

1. It is my understanding that one needs to wait 31 days after closing (and draining) BB to open Serve. Is there a way around that to open Serve sooner?

2. I understand that $5000 can be loaded onto Serve at WM per month, with daily limit of 2500. Is there additional limit of $1000 from CC and 1000 from dc, for a total monthly limit of $7000. I think I read somewhere that $1000 from dc is only for people with ISIS account. Is that correct or I am confusing something else with Serve? If true and if I dont have ISIS, then my monthly limit will be $6000 only, correct?

3. I understand that it is not a good idea to load Serve with AMEX cc online, but can I use my Chase Southwest without incurring CA fees?

4. Buruch (post # 573) wrote that, "the cashier said it's hard-coded that they can't complete the transaction at the register - only at the atm"..is it true that one cant load Serve with Cashier, but only at ATM?

5. I am AU on wife's Southwest card, both cards have the same number and 3 digit code. Is it ok to link wife and mine Serve accounts (when we get Serve) with SW card for the purpose of online loading?

Thanks for your  help.

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 20, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
I have read Wiki (and last 3-4 pages, in addition to first 2 pages of this thread), and couple other threads from google search. I currently have BB, but want to get Serve, primarily for AMEX offers and $1000 extra limit on Serve that can be added by CC/DC. I am currently on prepaid phone plan, so may be I am not eligible for ISIS..I haven't read much into it yet. I have a couple of clarifications/questions. Hope someone can answer these.

1. It is my understanding that one needs to wait 31 days after closing (and draining) BB to open Serve. Is there a way around that to open Serve sooner?

2. I understand that $5000 can be loaded onto Serve at WM per month, with daily limit of 2500. Is there additional limit of $1000 from CC and 1000 from dc, for a total monthly limit of $7000. I think I read somewhere that $1000 from dc is only for people with ISIS account. Is that correct or I am confusing something else with Serve? If true and if I dont have ISIS, then my monthly limit will be $6000 only, correct?

3. I understand that it is not a good idea to load Serve with AMEX cc online, but can I use my Chase Southwest without incurring CA fees?

4. Buruch (post # 573) wrote that, "the cashier said it's hard-coded that they can't complete the transaction at the register - only at the atm"..is it true that one cant load Serve with Cashier, but only at ATM?

5. I am AU on wife's Southwest card, both cards have the same number and 3 digit code. Is it ok to link wife and mine Serve accounts (when we get Serve) with SW card for the purpose of online loading?

Thanks for your  help.

1) You used to have to wait, but recent reports are that you don't have to. Even if you still need to wait, you can speed it up with the SSN workaround.

2) Don't load with a debit card unless it's a real one from your bank (this means no gift cards).

3) Yes.

4) I've done both.

5) It might work, but they've been strict with me and authorized users.

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 20, 2014, 05:23:36 PM »

You tried this? A while back or recent?
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 20, 2014, 05:54:29 PM »
whats easiest way to switch from BB to Amexserve?

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #607 on: July 20, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »

whats easiest way to switch from BB to Amexserve?
Step 1- Close BB
Step 2- Apply for Serve

Offline nobiggy

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 20, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »
Step 1- Close BB
Step 2- Apply for Serve

i can apply for serve same day?

Offline loveddeals

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 20, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies.  Cab you point me to the SSN trick.

1) You used to have to wait, but recent reports are that you don't have to. Even if you still need to wait, you can speed it up with the SSN workaround.

2) Don't load with a debit card unless it's a real one from your bank (this means no gift cards).

3) Yes.

4) I've done both.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
Amex Serve.com
« Reply #610 on: July 20, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
i can apply for serve same day?
I have and it worked, others have and it had not worked.

Offline nobiggy

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 20, 2014, 06:36:38 PM »
is it ok if i have a pending payment and close my BB?

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 20, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »
I think you should wait Until it posts to be safe.

Offline kangarruu

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 20, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies.  Cab you point me to the SSN trick.

Close BB. Sign up for Serve but with an SSN off by one number. It'll tell you that your information couldn't be verified. Call the number they give and they'll transfer you to the security department. They'll ask you to confirm your information and you'll give the correct SSN. They'll fix it in their system and you'll need to upload a picture of your ID and Social Security card to their site. Then call them back and they'll approve you.

Only do this if the regular signup doesn't work. I've heard that they eliminated the wait between the products.

Offline smaxber

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 20, 2014, 09:31:46 PM »
What's ISIS?

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »

What's ISIS?
A mobile wallet, you need to see if your carrier/phone support it.

Offline loveddeals

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 20, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
Does AMEX not need SSN for Serve signup? Reason I ask is that you mentioned, "Only do this if the regular signup doesn't work"..so if I have already given my SSN during the process of regular signup, how will I change my SSN on a second try?

Close BB. Sign up for Serve but with an SSN off by one number. It'll tell you that your information couldn't be verified. Call the number they give and they'll transfer you to the security department. They'll ask you to confirm your information and you'll give the correct SSN. They'll fix it in their system and you'll need to upload a picture of your ID and Social Security card to their site. Then call them back and they'll approve you.

Only do this if the regular signup doesn't work. I've heard that they eliminated the wait between the products.

Offline kangarruu

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 21, 2014, 12:18:22 AM »
Does AMEX not need SSN for Serve signup? Reason I ask is that you mentioned, "Only do this if the regular signup doesn't work"..so if I have already given my SSN during the process of regular signup, how will I change my SSN on a second try?

Serve requires your SSN. Amex used to require a 30-day wait between closing Bluebird and opening Serve. Applying with an incorrect SSN was a way around the 30-day wait. There have recently been reports that Amex no longer enforces a 30-day wait, so it makes sense to apply with the correct SSN first in the hopes that it will go through without the whole rigamarole.

Offline smaxber

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 21, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »
A mobile wallet, you need to see if your carrier/phone support it.
What does it get me? An extra 1k?

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 21, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »
What does it get me? An extra 1k?
No, $500 but you would be able to load $500 at a time direct from CC instead of $200.