Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

Chase Sapphire Reserve BENEFITS master thread

5/24 applies to this card
Minimum $10K of CL is needed, so if you can't get 10K on an instant, there's another great reason to get declined

DansDeals.com » Blog Archive » Chase’s Highest Ultimate Rewards Signup Bonus Ever: Sapphire Reserve 100,000 Point Bonus Is Now Live; Get $2,100 In Free Travel!

DansDeals.com » Blog Archive » Chase Sapphire Reserve Additional User Benefits And Lounge Guesting Policy Are Awesome!

There are multiple instances reported on this very thread of someone who was way over 5/24 and did not have PC and who got approval after recon.

The information below no longer applies for 2016/2017 but should still be useful for 2017/2018

Can you still get a 2016 travel credit if you apply now for a Sapphire Reserve card?

People have been reporting various due dates in January. If you get a due date between the 6th to the 25th then your bill will close between December 9th-28th and you will have time to spend the $300 in 2016 travel credit.

It is definitely still possible to get those due dates, but there’s no guarantee. If you do apply then be sure to call reconsideration to see if you can get approved today.
You may also be able to change your payment due date to generate a December statement if your due date is earlier than January 6 or later than January 25th. Just call to have you due date changed to January 25th to have your statement close on December 28th.

From here. Hopefully this will stop the constant questions.
« Last edited by jj1000 on March 14, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve  (Read 525393 times)

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve
« Reply #5205 on: November 10, 2020, 10:45:17 PM »
Friend of mine wasnt able to downgrade a reserve card that was upgraded a few months ago (the fee just hit) because it wasnt 12 months since the upgrade even though the actual card was open for years.

How many times did he call?

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: November 10, 2020, 11:11:36 PM »
How many times did he call?
He said he called a bunch of times and was told the same thing by all of them.

Offline Samb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: November 11, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »
Yup. Chase is getting tricky with upgrading and downgrades
Upgrades and downgrades where always based on eligibility. I have heard in past of single cases where a downgrade was denied. Did anybody else have this problem?

Offline brodes18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, UA 1K, AA Platinum
« Reply #5208 on: November 17, 2020, 10:26:51 PM »
Friend of mine wasnt able to downgrade a reserve card that was upgraded a few months ago (the fee just hit) because it wasnt 12 months since the upgrade even though the actual card was open for years.
I ran into same issue on card that was downgraded within the year from CSP. Ended up cancelling the card to get fee refunded.

Offline Essen est zich

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: November 18, 2020, 09:46:48 PM »
Copied from SD

After reading around doctorofcredit blog site and churning subreddit, I saw several datapoints out there that Chase is offering retention or statement credit offers of $150-$250 for whose annual fee was recently posted September, October or November or soon to be posted coming months (note: newer DPs show those who had fees in August or fees to come in Dec/Jan 2021 also getting this). Chase started offering credits either today (11/17) or very recently in the last day or so. But there are some who aren't offered anything so this is YMMV.

Most people seem to get the $150 credit, there are few that was fortunate enough to be offered $250. Not sure how Chase determines this. And this wasn't thru a special retention team rep but a regular Chase Sapphire customer service rep over the phone sees the offer in the system. Possibly in some cases, you do need to reach out to the retention team if the regular customer service rep don't offer anything. Still YMMV.

My story/Datapoint: I called (800) 436-7970 and told that my $450 annual fee was recently posted on my Sapphire Reserve (Nov 1), asked if there were any Retention or Statement Credits available on my card. Rep immediately offered $250 to keep my card and would post as a statement credit in 1-2 billing cycles. Didn't even ask the rep to cancel the card to begin with, although I was ready to if necessary. Easiest 5 minutes call of my life.

Keep in mind, this is on top of all other offers Sapphire Reserve has right now (like $300 annual travel credit, $60 doordash credit, etc). Also this is the first time I ever heard of that Chase is offering any type of retention or statement credit offers to keep your Reserve card. Even if I don't use any benefit except $300 annual travel credit, I literally got a free $100 out of this (-$450 annual fee +$300 travel credit +$250 retention statement credit = +$100 win!).

Reference: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/re...e-reserve/

--------
Update: Here's additional info of my account that may/may not help your case:

1) $150 or $250 credit: $250 Statement Credit in 1-2 billing cycles
2) When you opened the CSR: Late October 2018
3) When your annual fee is due: Nov 1, 2020 had $450 annual fee posted
4) How many other Chase credit cards / accounts you have: Currently have the following open accounts with Chase - CSR, CF, CFF, CIU, Checking

---------
Update #2 - Common FAQs:

1. Number to call: 1-800-436-7970 (This is also the same number in back of your Sapphire Reserve card. This is Chase Sapphire hotline.)
2. Retention = Statement Credit, they're the same, just different wording. But for those who get something, it'll be in a form of $150 or $250 statement credit in 1-2 billing cycles.
3. Chase criteria for either $150 OR $250 statement credit seems to be completely random after reading all the DPs and posts. Still no clue but doesn't seem to be dependent on account age, monthly/annual spend, annual due date, current card balance, etc.
4. Chase seems to ALSO offer retention statement credits for other Chase fee cards such as Sapphire Preferred ($60 or $65?), Southwest, and hotel cards (IHG, Hyatt, etc). Ask your reps.
5. If you didn't get any offer first time, hang up and call again later. Several DPs of success after trying again later with different rep. But be ready to say the word "I'm intending to cancel my Sapphire Reserve card but seeking to see if there are any retention or statement credits available to keep my card." That seemed to help few people after calls and ultimately getting the credit. But at the end of day, it's possible this is account specific so YMMV.
6. For those who do get the credit easily in one shot, that's because the retention/statement credits is already in the computer system that any customer service rep can look up, but wouldn't give this to you unless the rep is actively trying to look at your account on their computer. So try to be friendly!
7. Be nice/patient with customer service reps. Any hostility will never benefit you or anyone here. For all we know, Chase can just revert all retention policy because of one bad apple.
8. If you do intend to cancel (whether after you receive the statement credit or got no offer), be sure to do the following:
a. Transfer all your UR to another Chase UR card (Freedom Flex, Freedom Unlimited, etc), because if there are any UR points left in Reserve card and you cancel, all those UR points will be lost.
b. Make sure to spend all your $300 travel/grocery/gas credit as well as your $60 doordash annual credit.
c. If you downgrade/cancel within 31 days of when annual fee posted, you'll get full refund of annual fee (98% certain about this, someone else can double confirm). And that full refund is given even after you spend that $300 travel/grocery/gas credit so be sure to use that all up first before cancel/downgrade.
9. According to some DPs (I haven't asked the question myself), there doesn't seem to be a specific time period of keeping the card in exchange of accepting this statement credit. But as a safe side, would recommend holding onto the card for at least 1-2 months after receiving the statement credit.

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: November 19, 2020, 08:52:31 PM »
Copied from SD

After reading around doctorofcredit blog site and churning subreddit, I saw several datapoints out there that Chase is offering retention or statement credit offers of $150-$250 for whose annual fee was recently posted September, October or November or soon to be posted coming months (note: newer DPs show those who had fees in August or fees to come in Dec/Jan 2021 also getting this). Chase started offering credits either today (11/17) or very recently in the last day or so. But there are some who aren't offered anything so this is YMMV.

Most people seem to get the $150 credit, there are few that was fortunate enough to be offered $250. Not sure how Chase determines this. And this wasn't thru a special retention team rep but a regular Chase Sapphire customer service rep over the phone sees the offer in the system. Possibly in some cases, you do need to reach out to the retention team if the regular customer service rep don't offer anything. Still YMMV.

My story/Datapoint: I called (800) 436-7970 and told that my $450 annual fee was recently posted on my Sapphire Reserve (Nov 1), asked if there were any Retention or Statement Credits available on my card. Rep immediately offered $250 to keep my card and would post as a statement credit in 1-2 billing cycles. Didn't even ask the rep to cancel the card to begin with, although I was ready to if necessary. Easiest 5 minutes call of my life.

Keep in mind, this is on top of all other offers Sapphire Reserve has right now (like $300 annual travel credit, $60 doordash credit, etc). Also this is the first time I ever heard of that Chase is offering any type of retention or statement credit offers to keep your Reserve card. Even if I don't use any benefit except $300 annual travel credit, I literally got a free $100 out of this (-$450 annual fee +$300 travel credit +$250 retention statement credit = +$100 win!).

Reference: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/re...e-reserve/

--------
Update: Here's additional info of my account that may/may not help your case:

1) $150 or $250 credit: $250 Statement Credit in 1-2 billing cycles
2) When you opened the CSR: Late October 2018
3) When your annual fee is due: Nov 1, 2020 had $450 annual fee posted
4) How many other Chase credit cards / accounts you have: Currently have the following open accounts with Chase - CSR, CF, CFF, CIU, Checking

---------
Update #2 - Common FAQs:

1. Number to call: 1-800-436-7970 (This is also the same number in back of your Sapphire Reserve card. This is Chase Sapphire hotline.)
2. Retention = Statement Credit, they're the same, just different wording. But for those who get something, it'll be in a form of $150 or $250 statement credit in 1-2 billing cycles.
3. Chase criteria for either $150 OR $250 statement credit seems to be completely random after reading all the DPs and posts. Still no clue but doesn't seem to be dependent on account age, monthly/annual spend, annual due date, current card balance, etc.
4. Chase seems to ALSO offer retention statement credits for other Chase fee cards such as Sapphire Preferred ($60 or $65?), Southwest, and hotel cards (IHG, Hyatt, etc). Ask your reps.
5. If you didn't get any offer first time, hang up and call again later. Several DPs of success after trying again later with different rep. But be ready to say the word "I'm intending to cancel my Sapphire Reserve card but seeking to see if there are any retention or statement credits available to keep my card." That seemed to help few people after calls and ultimately getting the credit. But at the end of day, it's possible this is account specific so YMMV.
6. For those who do get the credit easily in one shot, that's because the retention/statement credits is already in the computer system that any customer service rep can look up, but wouldn't give this to you unless the rep is actively trying to look at your account on their computer. So try to be friendly!
7. Be nice/patient with customer service reps. Any hostility will never benefit you or anyone here. For all we know, Chase can just revert all retention policy because of one bad apple.
8. If you do intend to cancel (whether after you receive the statement credit or got no offer), be sure to do the following:
a. Transfer all your UR to another Chase UR card (Freedom Flex, Freedom Unlimited, etc), because if there are any UR points left in Reserve card and you cancel, all those UR points will be lost.
b. Make sure to spend all your $300 travel/grocery/gas credit as well as your $60 doordash annual credit.
c. If you downgrade/cancel within 31 days of when annual fee posted, you'll get full refund of annual fee (98% certain about this, someone else can double confirm). And that full refund is given even after you spend that $300 travel/grocery/gas credit so be sure to use that all up first before cancel/downgrade.
9. According to some DPs (I haven't asked the question myself), there doesn't seem to be a specific time period of keeping the card in exchange of accepting this statement credit. But as a safe side, would recommend holding onto the card for at least 1-2 months after receiving the statement credit.
Thank you!
Very helpful.
Was just billed my AF and made one call to retention and was offered a $150 credit.

Offline yogibear620

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: November 24, 2020, 12:02:09 AM »
Got $150 on 1 card where annual fee was due in October ($450)
Got $250 on different card where fee is due February ($550)

Any chance the $150/$250 retention offers are based off when you’re annual fee is due?

Prior to January the annual fee is $450 so they’re offering $150 retention
After January the annual fee is going back up to $550 so they’re offering $250 retention

Any data points?

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: November 24, 2020, 03:03:57 PM »
Got $150 on 1 card where annual fee was due in October ($450)
Got $250 on different card where fee is due February ($550)
Did the credit show up immediately on your account?
I was told it won't show up until 1-2 billing cycles.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #5213 on: November 24, 2020, 09:25:13 PM »
How soon can you upgrade a CSP to CSR?
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Online Shaya E

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: November 24, 2020, 09:28:20 PM »

I was wondering the same thing. Also, do they allow upgrades if it wasn't previously downgraded from a CSR?

I just wonder how that would work. Would they do another hard pull?

Offline Mootkim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: November 24, 2020, 10:18:52 PM »
Also, do they allow upgrades if it wasn't previously downgraded from a CSR?

Yes they do. It's just a regular product change.

Online Shaya E

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: November 24, 2020, 11:18:07 PM »
I just wonder how that would work. Would they do another hard pull?

Isn't it harder to get approved for the CSR? Would that be a workaround for someone who couldn't get approved for the CSR?

Online Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 32
    • View Profile
  • Programs: @myi so list them as Dan does!
« Reply #5217 on: November 24, 2020, 11:46:03 PM »
My understanding is after a year.

Isn't it harder to get approved for the CSR? Would that be a workaround for someone who couldn't get approved for the CSR?
IINM if your eligible for CSP you'd be eligible for CSR.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #5218 on: November 24, 2020, 11:47:33 PM »
My understanding is after a year.
I hope you are joking. That's ridiculous.
You're so far up Trump's a** you can see Giuliani's feet.  HT Baruch

Online Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 32
    • View Profile
  • Programs: @myi so list them as Dan does!