Topic Wiki

Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other cards!

Chase Sapphire Reserve BENEFITS master thread

5/24 applies to this card
Minimum $10K of CL is needed, so if you can't get 10K on an instant, there's another great reason to get declined

DansDeals.com » Blog Archive » Chase’s Highest Ultimate Rewards Signup Bonus Ever: Sapphire Reserve 100,000 Point Bonus Is Now Live; Get $2,100 In Free Travel!

DansDeals.com » Blog Archive » Chase Sapphire Reserve Additional User Benefits And Lounge Guesting Policy Are Awesome!

There are multiple instances reported on this very thread of someone who was way over 5/24 and did not have PC and who got approval after recon.

The information below no longer applies for 2016/2017 but should still be useful for 2017/2018

Can you still get a 2016 travel credit if you apply now for a Sapphire Reserve card?

People have been reporting various due dates in January. If you get a due date between the 6th to the 25th then your bill will close between December 9th-28th and you will have time to spend the $300 in 2016 travel credit.

It is definitely still possible to get those due dates, but there’s no guarantee. If you do apply then be sure to call reconsideration to see if you can get approved today.
You may also be able to change your payment due date to generate a December statement if your due date is earlier than January 6 or later than January 25th. Just call to have you due date changed to January 25th to have your statement close on December 28th.

From here. Hopefully this will stop the constant questions.

Check which category a store is: https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator-app/app/#/home/supplier-locator
« Last edited by yelped on May 25, 2021, 05:39:31 PM »

Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve  (Read 1243482 times)

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve
« Reply #800 on: August 24, 2016, 05:27:31 PM »
Not following. Opening a joint checkings account is possible to do online. Doesn't CPC status follow automatically if one of the account holders is CPC?
Dunno.

To get the CPC account, I needed to go to the branch.

I'm pretty sure it's a manual process

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 24, 2016, 05:28:17 PM »
50 minute wait to speak to a supervisor.

They're not willing to do anything, tried twice so far, officially no way to reconsider once it's 5/24 declined, they said that I was accepted for over 15.

Offline Moshe G

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 24, 2016, 05:29:53 PM »
Im at 4/24 on primary. 8/24 with AU. should I remove the AU before applying? How long does it take for them go off?

Offline robin hood

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 24, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
Dunno.

Did you try doing it over the phone?

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 24, 2016, 05:31:16 PM »
Some nice tips in 1 summary of this whole thread.....

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2016/08/24/get-approved-sapphire-reserve/
How to get approved for the Sapphire Reserve 100K offer [NEW]
 August 24, 2016 by  Greg The Frequent Miler

A few weeks ago I wrote a similarly named post “Get approved for the Sapphire Reserve 100K offer despite 5/24.” Since then, we’ve learned more about how Chase is handing Sapphire Reserve applications, and Chase has discontinued their Special Reconsideration Form for Personal Card Exceptions.  So, I figured that this topic deserved a new post…

There’s no question that the Chase Sapphire Reserve 100K offer is awesome. Whether or not it is worth keeping past the first 12 months is debatable, but the first year value of the card is huge.  In exchange for the $450 annual fee and $4K of spend in 3 months, cardholders will receive 100,000 bonus points plus the ability to earn $600 in travel credits in their first 12 months of card ownership ($300 this calendar year and $300 next year).  Since points are worth 1.5 cents each towards travel, you can get a total of $2100 worth of travel for that $450 fee ($1500 from points + $600 from travel credits).

To get $600 in travel credits in the first 12 months of card membership, you’ll want to sign up for this card soon.  The reason?  To get the first $300 in travel reimbursements, you’ll have to spend $300 on travel (airfare, hotels, taxis, trains, Uber, etc.) before your December statement closes.  By signing up soon, you’ll have more time to complete that spend.  After your December statement closes, you can then begin work on spending another $300 in travel to get the next $300 in travel reimbursements.

What follows is a step by step guide designed to help ensure approval…

1) Check your credit score
There are many ways to check your credit score for free.  Here are a few easy options:

Discover offers free FICO credit scores from Experian for customers and non-customers alike
Experian offers free FICO credit scores via their phone app and via their freecreditscore.com website
Many credit card companies offer free credit scores.  Simply log into your online account and click around until you find it 🙂
Many websites offer free estimated (FAKO) scores
Get approved Sapphire Reserve

If your credit score is below 700 then you are probably better off working towards improving your credit score rather than signing up for new cards.

Continue to next step if your score is Very Good or Excellent:

2) Determine your 5/24 status
If you sign up for lots of credit cards, you may be subject to Chase’s dreaded “5/24 Rule”.  Chase will frequently deny applications when an applicant’s credit report shows 5 or more new cards in the past 24 months.  This total includes accounts in which you are an authorized user and includes accounts from other banks.

You can determine your 5/24 status by viewing your credit report (I use the free website Credit Karma to do this) and counting all credit cards that show an open date of two years ago or less.  You should include cancelled cards in your count as well.  Note that inquiries not part of the 5/24 calculation.

Get approved Sapphire Reserve

If you have 4 or fewer new cards on your credit report, then you should be good to go!  There is no need to read further.  You can signup online or in-branch.  Either way, your chance of success should be pretty high. Click here to find the Chase Sapphire Reserve 100K offer.

If you have 4 or fewer new cards after subtracting out cards in which you are an authorized user, then you have a good chance of success after calling for reconsideration.  In other words, you are likely to get denied initially, but you can then call reconsideration at 888-245-0625.  If the agent tells you that your application was denied due to too many accounts in the past 24 months, then point out the accounts in which you are an authorized user and ask that those not be considered. You may have to call a few times (and/or ask for a supervisor) to find a person willing to help.

Continue to next step if you have opened 5 or more accounts in the past 24 months:

3) Try to get pre-approved
Many readers have reported getting approved for the Sapphire Reserve card despite being far over 5/24.  Most of these readers reported that they went in person to Chase and learned that they were pre-approved.  This makes sense.  I’ve long suspected that pre-approvals help circumvent 5/24 Rules.

Here’s how to learn if you are pre-approved:

Look for mailers.  Chase often sends credit card offers by mail.  Sometimes these offers state that the recipient is pre-approved or pre-qualified.  Either way, if you get one of these, you’re good to go.
Visit a Chase bank.  Tell the banker that you are interested in applying for the Sapphire Reserve card but you want to check first to see if you are pre-approved.  If so, apply!
NOTE: I tested to see if a random Chase banker would check my pre-approval over the phone, but I was told that I must come into the branch because they had to see my ID.
If either of the above options result in pre-qualification or pre-approval, then go ahead and apply.  There is still no guarantee that you’ll be approved, but you are likely to at least get around the 5/24 Rule.

Via a personal conversation with Doctor of Credit I learned that online approvals may not help circumvent 5/24 rules.  However, if you want to take a chance and look for online approval anyway, here’s how:

Check online with Chase.  Chase has a website (here) where you can check to see if you are pre-qualified for any offers.  Unfortunately, this site rarely shows anything worthwhile.  It’s important to note that the online tool may not show that you are pre-qualified, but a banker may see that you are.
Try the CardMatch Tool to see if you are pre-qualified for any Chase offers. Like the Chase site mentioned above, if you don’t find that you are pre-qualified through this site, you might still find that you are pre-qualified if you talk to a Chase banker.  Disclosure: The CardMatch Tool link is an affiliate link. If you click through that link and apply and are approved for any cards on the CardMatch Tool site, I will be paid a commission.
Continue to next step if you are over 5/24 and you are not pre-approved for the Sapphire Reserve card:

4) Join Chase Private Client
This is one of those “easier said than done” kind of things.  Chase Private Client status is great in lots of ways (details here), but getting that status may or may not be an option for you.  Here are a few options:

Have $250,000 on deposit with Chase. This includes checking accounts, savings accounts, and investment accounts. While I haven’t tried it, it should be possible to switch an un-managed retirement fund to Chase in order to qualify.
OR:
Convince a Private Client banker that you plan to deposit $250,000 or more with Chase.
OR:
Open a joint account with a current Private Client member.  This should automatically give you Private Client status.
Private Client members seem to be mostly immune to 5/24.  I write “mostly” because most readers with Private Client status have reported success with Chase applications despite being over 5/24, but a few have reported otherwise.  Once you get Private Client status, I recommend applying in person with your Private Client banker.  He or she should then be able to help push through the application if it is not immediately approved.

Continue to next step if you are over 5/24, you are not pre-approved for the Sapphire Reserve card, and you cannot get Private Client status:

5) Wait to dip under 5/24
If you stop applying for new cards for a while, your “new” accounts will eventually become old (as in, older than 24 months).  While you’re waiting, you can still rack up lots of points by signing up for a bunch of business cards that don’t show up on your personal credit report.  Please see: Business card advantages (and a straw man plan).

Don’t call until denied
Most people who apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card have reported getting a pending decision.  For example, they may be told that a decision will be made in 7 to 10 days.  While many people like to call the reconsideration line (888-245-0625) to speed up the process, I recommend waiting.

When you apply for a card, you essentially have three chances for approval: 1) automated instant decision; 2) automated decision after application goes pending; and 3) reconsideration.

Those who call for reconsideration before step 2 is complete force Chase to bypass that step. It is possible that a recon agent will deny an application that would have been approved by the the automated process in step 2.

If you wait, you have an extra chance of approval.  If that process results in a denial, you can still then call to try to overturn the decision.  In fact, I recommend calling several times if the first time isn’t successful.

No Guarantee
The suggestions listed above are suggestions that I think will help you get approved for the Sapphire Reserve card (or any Chase card, for that matter).  That said, I am not in any way affiliated with Chase.  I have no inside knowledge of their processes.  And, it is my understanding that many factors beyond your credit score and 5/24 status are considered when evaluating a credit card application.

In other words, while I believe that the suggestions shown above will help, I can’t guarantee success.  Not even close.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline Platinum

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 24, 2016, 05:33:25 PM »
They're not willing to do anything, tried twice so far, officially no way to reconsider once it's 5/24 declined, they said that I was accepted for over 15.
They told me the same thing multiple times.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 24, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »
Supervisor was saying how they are swamped with calls regarding this card now, which is why such a long delay to speak to one. If 5/24 there is nothing they could do but apologize.

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 24, 2016, 05:53:09 PM »
Supervisor was saying how they are swamped with calls regarding this card now, which is why such a long delay to speak to one. If 5/24 there is nothing they could do but apologize.
#1 answered under 5 seconds
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 24, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
I've hit a Brick wall.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 24, 2016, 06:09:37 PM »
#1 answered under 5 seconds

Regular agent yes a few times, the wait is for super.

Offline robin hood

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: August 24, 2016, 06:11:22 PM »
Dunno.

Here an excerpt from the article quoted above from frequent flyer
Open a joint account with a current Private Client member.  This should automatically give you Private Client status.
I'm aware that this could be specifically referring to one who opens an account in branch.
I'd appreciate if anyone that has intimate knowledge with regards to CPC if they could please weigh in.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #811 on: August 24, 2016, 06:29:42 PM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 24, 2016, 06:33:15 PM »
Here an excerpt from the article quoted above from frequent flyer
Open a joint account with a current Private Client member.  This should automatically give you Private Client status.
I'm aware that this could be specifically referring to one who opens an account in branch.
I'd appreciate if anyone that has intimate knowledge with regards to CPC if they could please weigh in.
Are you willing to try it online, and if you need to go in branch to activate the CPC, so be it...

Offline robin hood

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 24, 2016, 06:34:30 PM »
Are you willing to try it online, and if you need to go in branch to activate the CPC, so be it...
I'm sorry I should've been a little more clear; I'm in Israel. Not coming back for some time.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #814 on: August 24, 2016, 06:39:30 PM »
Hard pull?
pulls are so overrated imo

Offline emjee

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 24, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 24, 2016, 06:55:57 PM »
pulls are so overrated imo
+2

It's the new account that hurts, not the pull

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 24, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »
Not only is Chase being firm about the 5/24 rule, the reps seem annoyed and even angry when I call.

Offline mord1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 24, 2016, 07:55:56 PM »
If I am over 5/24, no pre approvals, no cpc, is there any advantage to applying in branch vs online? it doe snot seem that the bankers have any pull with getting an approval here
Hard decline, 21/24, onto Hyatt and ritz to not waste the pull. When is the thread for selling cpc status going to start?

Offline nobiggy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 24, 2016, 07:56:42 PM »
Has anyone received the card yet?