Author Topic: Going ElAl with AA miles  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
Re: Going ElAl with AA miles
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 09:45:41 AM »
First of all, I am definitely a grandfather BH. Many times over. Secondly, I guess I stand corrected about the first class tickets. I ordered business but at the time I asked how much it would be for first class and I was told 90 each way. Since I never went through with it I guess it probably wouldn't have happened based on the previous messages. Sorry.
BTW, you also cannot upgrade an elal ticket from coach to business with aa miles. Bummer! Anyone know if it can be done with starwoods points or am I hitting the stupid questions again.
You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
BTW, you also cannot upgrade an elal ticket from coach to business with aa miles. Bummer! Anyone know if it can be done with starwoods points or am I hitting the stupid questions again.

Starpointa no longer have an El Al transfer option, so no.
My barber needs your support, hes a real sweetheart.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-our-barber-shop

Offline nis965

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »
Thanx, but I was thinking more on the lines of, if I would want to stop for a day in Europe would that then be worth booking through BA. Or is it really that expensive with the taxes. (Also I would be taking an infant, if that would change anything....)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
Thanx, but I was thinking more on the lines of, if I would want to stop for a day in Europe would that then be worth booking through BA. Or is it really that expensive with the taxes. (Also I would be taking an infant, if that would change anything....)

What route are you looking for? CLE-TLV return? If you don't specifically want to stop over in London, I'd say don't fly BA because UK fees/surcharges are highest in Europe.
My barber needs your support, hes a real sweetheart.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/save-our-barber-shop

Offline HesderGuy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lifetime AA Gold, 2020/21 JetBlue Mosaic
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 09:19:15 PM »
If its the same day, should work.
You may want to call to confirm.
I flew a few months ago from JFK to Toronto via AA, and then EL AL to Israel on Business - using AAdvantage points (the direct flight was not available).   No matter how hard I tried, I could not convince AA to let me take 3 suitcases of 70 lb from JFK to Toronto, even though I was able to prove to them that EL AL allows 3.   They said they go by their own computer - not what's on the web...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 09:22:20 PM »
I flew a few months ago from JFK to Toronto via AA, and then EL AL to Israel on Business - using AAdvantage points (the direct flight was not available).   No matter how hard I tried, I could not convince AA to let me take 3 suitcases of 70 lb from JFK to Toronto, even though I was able to prove to them that EL AL allows 3.   They said they go by their own computer - not what's on the web...
IME it goes by the rules of the first carrier, but it's YMMV.
AA does allow 3 bags now if you are in Business or First on AA.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline HesderGuy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lifetime AA Gold, 2020/21 JetBlue Mosaic
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »
IME it goes by the rules of the first carrier, but it's YMMV.
AA does allow 3 bags now if you are in Business or First on AA.
The problem was that there was no room in Business on the JFK-Toronto leg, but AA told me that the luggage allowance is based on the main flight - which was the Toronto-TLV, and they did allow me 70 lb per suitcase - but only 2 of them per person.

At least it was easier to shlep  :)

Offline nis965

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »
How far in advance does one need to book one of these award tickets? (i.e.  for a mid December flight)