Author Topic: My (very) belated Honeymoon to the "Land of Smiles" (CX F, EY F)  (Read 38792 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: My (very) belated Honeymoon to the "Land of Smiles" (CX F, EY F)
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »
When I was there it was pacing back and forth and I tried making some noise to get its attention. That Lion didn't like what I was doing, so it aimed his "privates" out the cage and urinated on me, I'm not kidding it litterly used the fence to help it aim at me, it was gross and something I will never forget... (Not many people can say they gotten pissed on by a lion).

LOL, awesome.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline enwhycee

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »
Nice TR, benjie. Looking forward to the rest of it!

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2016, 04:09:25 PM »
Saturday, July 23rd, Chiang Mai

This marked our last day in Chiang Mai.

After dozing off a bit in the morning we eventually headed out for a walk at around 11a to see and explore a bit. Nothing too adventurous being that we did not want to sweat too much and wanted to make it to Chabad a bit early this time to secure our seats.

So after walking within the vicinity of our hotel and passing at least fifteen 7-Eleven's (More on why there are so many there > here) we headed for Chabad. We got there around 12 and it was already quite crowded. The meal started at around 1230 by which the place was - once again - platzing.

To our left were young Israelis that instead of taking dips, rice, and chulent on to their plates would prefer to use their utensils to eat straight out of the shared foods. *yummy yummy* And to our right was an Israeli family of 7 where the father clearly had a more then hard time dealing with the fact that there were a good 150 people that were being served before him. He kept yelling at the staff to bring him food. First I don't think they understood him. After a bit more yelling it became clear that they very much so understood him but now simply refused to serve him. I found it quite funny. He really felt way too entitled. Once again the food was fine and after filling up on challah and dips and some chulent we left at around 130p.

On a side note: I did find it funny how Rabbi Pikel (CNX Rabbi) was so familiar with everything. When I met him the first night and he heard me speak English the conversation continued as follows:

Are you from DansDeals?
Yes.
Did you fly here in First Class?
Yes.
You have a lot of AA miles?
Yes.
Are you staying at the LM on points?
Yes.
Are you going to Phuket or Koh Samui after?
Yes.

Then we exchanged laughs and continued to shmooze.

We then headed back to the hotel, rested a bit and then headed over to the pool to relax a bit more.

"Pool area" - on the smaller side but a very clean pool with a really pretty view of the mountains

Side note: While the pool was great, there was a strange thing that occurred. There was this 10 year old Asian boy that - after being done at the pool - just got naked and rested in his chair. It was weird to watch and I was not the only one to find it a bit weird. After the staff on site noticed the boy, he walked over to educate him on the matter and advise him to put on his bathrobe. The boy did not want to and the LM employee was basically throwing a towel at him and telling him to cover up already. Then the parents finally came by and - to everyone's surprise - started yelling at the LM employee. WTH?!  :o This some sort of Asian culture thing where its ok to be naked at a public pool area past the age of 2?

As promised around 630p there was a knock at my door and it was the concierge who had a delivery for me. My suits had arrived. I tried them on right there and then and with my wife's nod of approval happily stored them in my suitcase.

As it was Saturday night and its the one day the local market was open we decided to head there. (Tourist markets around the hotels are open every night but the "local" market is open Saturday nights and - while they do offer some souvenirs - are mostly about the local food. ) We took a Tuk Tuk for about 10 minutes until we arrived there.

Our ride

Pics from the market

Eggs on a stick. Hmm.

I will post some pics of the chuchkes we bought as well.

Elephant mug I love

Smaller size Giraffe mug for the kids

Some Chiang Beer T-shirts and 2 sets of fake sunglasses that are surprisingly still in tact and some amazing elephant paintings. I don't have a pic of them on me right now but will post them later. They weren't the cheapest but we are so happy with them. The seller was so ecstatic about selling three in one shot, he couldn't believe it. He had his partner take pictures with us, wrapped it up for a good 20 minutes and posted it onto his Facebook page. I was really happy for the guy, and for us in getting some beautiful paintings.

It was now getting late and we had arranged for a cab to pick us up at 520a for our 7a flight to BKK the next day. We headed back to the hotel to finish packing up (who are we kidding, when it comes to packing it is all my wife. I'm just not good at it.) and try to catch a few hours of sleep before traveling for a good chunk of the morning.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2016, 04:33:18 PM »
Cool food pics. My question is how they get so much fresh sea food being so far from the sea? Also how much did you pay for the 3 paintings?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »
Cool food pics. My question is how they get so much fresh sea food being so far from the sea? Also how much did you pay for the 3 paintings?

I cannot answer your first question but I did find a picture of the artist stand and the paintings we got (marked with a red X).

We paid around $25.

Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2016, 04:45:04 PM »
Wow, that is a good deal!

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2016, 04:50:59 PM »
The seller was so ecstatic about selling three in one shot, he couldn't believe it. He had his partner take pictures with us, wrapped it up for a good 20 minutes and posted it onto his Facebook page.
LOL, did you bargain?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »
LOL, did you bargain?

Who doesn't?  :P
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Luvtotravel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2016, 01:38:40 PM »
what are those *something* you have pics of raw and then grilled?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2016, 01:41:40 PM »
what are those *something* you have pics of raw and then grilled?

I believe what you are referring to is Squid.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »
makes sense. ew
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
On a side note: I did find it funny how Rabbi Pikel (CNX Rabbi) was so familiar with everything. When I met him the first night and he heard me speak English the conversation continued as follows:

Are you from DansDeals?
Yes.
Did you fly here in First Class?
Yes.
You have a lot of AA miles?
Yes.
Are you staying at the LM on points?
Yes.
Are you going to Phuket or Koh Samui after?
Yes.

Then we exchanged laughs and continued to shmooze.

Pretty much all chabad shluchim in exotic and non exotic places are aware about Dansdeals and the dd crowd.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Pretty much all chabad shluchim in exotic and non exotic places are aware about Dansdeals and the dd crowd.

Offline Hershelsdeals

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Amazing TR

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »
Thanks for posting all the new pics and report! By elephant pics I thought you meant pics drawn by elephants, not of elephants. :P

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
Thanks for posting all the new pics and report! By elephant pics I thought you meant pics drawn by elephants, not of elephants. :P

Thanks! I kinda prefer a painting of then from an elephant :)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2016, 06:40:50 PM »
By elephant pics I thought you meant pics drawn by elephants, not of elephants. :P
same here.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2016, 11:28:05 AM »
Sunday, July 24th, Moving Day
Chiang Mai to Bangkok

We woke up early. 445a to be precise. Well, early is relative I guess being that we were up around that time daily anyways.

We zipped up our suitcases, checked the room to make sure we didn't miss anything or leave anything behind (as good as one can do that at the crack of dawn) and went downstairs.

By 530a the cab driver had arrived. We went outside, loaded the trunk with our stuff, bid our farewells and were out.

Saying good-bye to the amazing staff at the LM Chiang Mai. In this pic: me with Boon-Nam. His smile would not make you think that it was 515 in the morning.

The ride to the airport was pretty uneventful. With the streets being mostly empty it was a quick ride to the airport. Once at the airport I was surprised to see how they organized themselves over there. The entrance of the airport serves as the security check line as well. Awesome! I found that to be quite efficient and we were through in seconds.

Security is done right at the Entrance of the airport

We then got in line at the Bangkok Airways economy counter for our flight. The lines and counters were quite fast in getting things done and that even though it was very early in the morning. And(!!) they did so with smiles on their faces. Gotta love those people. We handed over our luggage - which was a few pounds over the limit - but that did not cause an issue. Why? Good time for a PSA.

PSA:

It does not matter whether you book your flights with miles, on PG's website or via an OTA. Create a PG member account. You do NOT need to have any activity within the account. You do not need to link your reservations or flights to your member #. Just have one as they can link it at the counter for you. As soon as it was clear that my suitcases were quite a few pounds over the limit, before asking me to remove anything, I was asked if I was a PG member. They are very nice to PG members and will let most things slide without further questioning as long as you have a PG membership (which is free). Furthermore: Create it sooner rather then later. It takes 24 hours to be fully "created" and for them to link it to a flight. So if you are flying tonight and created it this morning, you won't yet be a member in their system.

For check-in as well as boarding it was fun to see that besides for premium cabin travelers, monks also enjoy priority services. They get to check-in faster, and get to board first. Just imagine if all rabbis got to do that in Israel. :D

Off we were with our identification stickers - in the shape of a blue PG airplane - indicating that we were flying PG this morning.

We then headed - how else could it be for someone like me - to the Boutique Lounge for fancy passengers like me.

Surprising how many people enjoyed grabbing Popcorn that early. (machine on the far right)

Computer with Wifi. Weird as we all were provided a ticket with a Wifi login. I guess some people don't have smartphones!?  :o

Our beautiful ride to Bangkok (A320):

The amount of legroom on a CNX-BKK flight on this A320 was just unbelievable.

ByeBye Chiang Mai:

To note: I found it amazing that for a 75 minute flight at 655a they had a full meal service with hot breakfast. Might be normal but I just found it great. And the staff. So friendly. Comparing that to any US domestic flight on any carrier at that hour. A Woooorrrllllddd of difference.

It was a smooth ride and we landed on time in Bangkok with clear skies.

Hello Mr. Big Boy! (TG A380)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »
Wait, you got lounge access when flying Y because you were PG account members?

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2016, 12:32:24 PM »
Wait, you got lounge access when flying Y because you were PG account members?

Nah. I'm pretty sure you get lounge access for just flying PG. People just don't know or care so they don't even go.

No membership needed.
Work hard, Play harder!