Author Topic: Hidden City Ticketing in Europe and Suitcases  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Hidden City Ticketing in Europe and Suitcases
« on: August 03, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
I have a flight on TAP from NYC to FRA with a connection on LIS. Due to the recent terrorism in Germany, I (aka my wife) have decided to switch my trip to Geneva, Switzerland. Instead of taking an 8 hour train from Frankfurt to Geneva, I would rather just book a ticket from LIS to GVA, thereby creating a hidden city ticket (although that was not my original intention).

I know that in the USA, all suitcases from international flights are unloaded and claimed at the first point of arrival, and then re-checked onto any connecting flights. Is that also the case in Europe? If not, and if I book the new ticket on TAP as well, would I be able to ask that the suitcases be checked directly to GVA, or at least unloaded at LIS?

And I already tried calling TAP, but I couldn't even get a rep on the phone. An automated message literally told me that they are too busy now, and that I should call back later. I read that TAP is pretty bad airline, but I hope that this experience is not a harbinger of what is to come.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

Offline cardkid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden City Ticketing in Europe and Suitcases
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
Flying with the EU is similar to flying domestically in the U.S., so yes you're bag will be thorough checked unless you're able to get an agent to do otherwise.

Offline BBPAPA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:50:44 PM »
I have a flight on TAP from NYC to FRA with a connection on LIS. Due to the recent terrorism in Germany, I (aka my wife) have decided to switch my trip to Geneva, Switzerland. Instead of taking an 8 hour train from Frankfurt to Geneva, I would rather just book a ticket from LIS to GVA, thereby creating a hidden city ticket (although that was not my original intention).

I know that in the USA, all suitcases from international flights are unloaded and claimed at the first point of arrival, and then re-checked onto any connecting flights. Is that also the case in Europe? If not, and if I book the new ticket on TAP as well, would I be able to ask that the suitcases be checked directly to GVA, or at least unloaded at LIS?

And I already tried calling TAP, but I couldn't even get a rep on the phone. An automated message literally told me that they are too busy now, and that I should call back later. I read that TAP is pretty bad airline, but I hope that this experience is not a harbinger of what is to come.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!!

Similar question regarding luggage:
AF JFK to CDG RT and   AF CDG to TLV RT were booked as 2 different AF reservations on priceline

The flight from TLV to CDG has a 1:50 stopover in CDG before continuing onto to JFK.

In TLV, will AF tag your bag to JFK or do you have to claim your bag at CDG to get it to JFK?
If so, is 1:50 enough time to do that?
Please advise as I can still cancel this reservation today.

Offline travel agent

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 04:33:02 PM »
if you show them both tickets, they should be able to check it all the way.

but why did you book that way & not in 1 ticket, is it much cheaper?

Offline BBPAPA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »
Saved $100 on the ticket.

There was a DDMS post yesterday about this.
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/98955

It's wasn't the cheapest way to TLV but we wanted a long layover in Paris (17hrs)
for a one day trip.

Offline shimino1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 06:51:45 AM »
if you show them both tickets, they should be able to check it all the way.
Not always.

Had the same situation LON-BER, BER-TLV both on AB where the check-in agent couldn't check the luggage all the way through and we had to collect and recheck.
Was probably since the 2nd flight was to TLV and security wants to go through everything with a fine toothed comb. From TLV will probably be easier.

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »
Not always.

Had the same situation LON-BER, BER-TLV both on AB where the check-in agent couldn't check the luggage all the way through and we had to collect and recheck.
Was probably since the 2nd flight was to TLV and security wants to go through everything with a fine toothed comb. From TLV will probably be easier.

OW's official policy is airlines only need to through check when on same PNR. Many OW carreirs (including AA, BA, CX) have been strict about this lately. But I've gotten AB to through check.

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 10:11:16 AM »
I have a united ticket ewr-lhr-dus, any way to get my bags in lhr?