Author Topic: Walmart to buy jet.com?  (Read 7482 times)

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart to buy jet.com?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 12:26:23 AM »
Anybody buying WMT calls?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 01:22:50 AM »
I have absolutely zero idea what you are saying and where your coming from.

+1
Visibly Jewish

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »
I have absolutely zero idea what you are saying and where your coming from.

1) Amazon doesnt need to make money on a per order basis, contrary to a brick and mortar store, the aim is that buyers should buy a lot.. buyers are drawn in with sales, ever so eloquently put by John Steinbeck's Winter of Discontent

Amazon's early goal was to get your CC info and just get you in a buying habitat. They have succeeded... mostly, people will pay more for something on amazon because its easier... Why do you think bed bath has 20% off coupons ? the avg person brings 1 coupon maybe 1 in 25 brings a few coupons etc

Amazon's model of the have everything store, a very active and huge community of reviewers, their openly displaying selling ranks etc all are shopping tools and ultimately shopping guides as well.

Walmart was a pioneer of stock solutions and technology, they were the first adapters of satellite technology, using warehouse hubs and a fleet of trucks to accurately stock stores thus ensuring balanced stock.

2) I cant see how buying Jet will really help walmart, I for one dont go in to their stores, whty does an online presence make them more attractive unless they will use their stores as fulfillment centers a bit like how Mcdonalds has the best real estate in the world

In theory Walmart could clash with Amazon over sheer network distribution of products, maybe add a fleet of trucks or negotiate with USPS?

3) Amazon prime is not about video or the cost... or if its worth the different features and services. Most people do not weigh the value of their costco membership because they like costco for whatever reason, the membership often by the way helps buyers feel like they are contributing, like a co-op..

Amazon has you sold on their many features and functions that most do not question the net worth of their prime subscription, they merely pay it and enjoy the services it offers.

4) early on in the online marketplace days, I saw buyers wanted a KISS method of easy shopping and checkout..  I was living in Israel and hadnt used Amazon, yet I realized early on what they were doing with aggregated data in a multi tier cross referencing and relevancy system that culled user data and was able to mine  preferences and suggest products to buyers both in a cross sell and up sell model but also in a mind reader salesman type way.

That was something Amazon pioneered, maybe they didnt invent it but they put it to use and it didnt just help their sales volume per order but also actually caused buyers to find what they wanted and buy... i'd imagine Amazon had some of the lowest abandoned cart numbers

5) I wrote my post probably between beer #5 and #6.. now im on coffee #1 :)

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »
Both Amazon prime and netflix are lacking in suggesting and discovery of movies and tv shows... maybe because half my family uses my netflix account but I most of the time find myself frustrated at the movie searching process.

I had hoped Amazon could use their data tools in getting this right but they are terrible.. nor do I understand why they show IMDB ratings yet you cant click to IMDB? or that they do not implement IMDB reviews or relevancy data when they own IMDB ?

I cant say Amazon has either succeeded where the traditional bookstore flourished,  they have introduced me to many titles by relevancy factor but given a marketplace its size, they should be using a google like search algorithm and help you search, seek out, recommend, suggest etc all types of books and I suppose movies

"I want a light reading book thats fuynny, maybe something like Ilya ilf "the little golden calf"

By default, Netflix is better with their personal reviews and star system allowing them to recommend stuff to you based on prior reviews etc.. yet i'd love to see Amazon do this with books, like you read a book, love it, rate it 5 stars in your backend preferences, add it to favorites and select "Suggest other books like this"

In addition, the real data points lacking in marketplaces, is that they do not seek to group together people for data pooling and sharing.

I had sought to do this with wine but Raccah and I never got around to it and cellar tracker and vivino eventually upped their game.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »

In theory Walmart could clash with Amazon over sheer network distribution of products, maybe add a fleet of trucks or negotiate with USPS?

Amazon just received the first of 20 planes they will be using to help with their distribution network

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 01:05:09 PM »
Amazon just received the first of 20 planes they will be using to help with their distribution network

WALMART has 5000 stores

Offline HowYaDoin

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 11:57:56 AM »
Didn't think about this earlier but Jet will likely start collecting tax in all 50 states once the deal goes through.
Visibly Jewish

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 12:05:08 PM »
Didn't think about this earlier but Jet will likely start collecting tax in all 50 states once the deal goes through.
Not necessarily. Probably depends how they structure the corporations. If Jet remains it's own entity I would think they don't have to.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 12:48:16 PM »
The big bloggers are probably killing themselves that they snubbed the referral thing.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 12:56:04 PM »
The big bloggers are probably killing themselves that they snubbed the referral thing.

They thought that if they ignore it, it will go away.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »
Just like every person is killing themselves for not buying google, microsoft, apple stock when they launched...

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 12:58:27 PM »
Just like every person is killing themselves for not buying google, microsoft, apple stock when they launched...

I think that this is worse. Many people wanted to believe that will fail. Clouded glasses.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
Not the same but your obviously the wrong person to argue with about this.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 01:10:53 PM »
I think that this is worse. Many people wanted to believe that will fail. Clouded glasses.
Why does that makes it worse if true. I'm sure many people thought Apple would fail as well.
Not the same but your obviously the wrong person to argue with about this.

Or I'm obviously the right person to find out from. Not sure what the argument is.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »
Why does that makes it worse if true. I'm sure many people thought Apple would fail as well. 

Apple started a new line that didn't exist. Jet had an experienced CEO creating a competition to an existing thing.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 01:19:30 PM »
Lol, do you guys think getting 8,000+ referrals is as simple as throwing up a post begging for signups?
That would net a few hundred at most unless there were major incentives offered to signup.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
There's been discussion of the perceived aversion to posting jet deals on DDMS. No need to rehash that.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
Lol, do you guys think getting 8,000+ referrals is as simple as throwing up a post begging for signups?
That would net a few hundred at most unless there were major incentives offered to signup.

And ? cost him 18k... you could have raffled off DO's etc and got 10k+ sign ups while burning points ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 02:03:58 PM »
Yes, I could have invested 18K to incentivize signups just like anyone here could have. Frankly I'm shocked they even allowed incentivized signups to count, did anyone save the terms?

But based on past experience from posting on DDMS and groveling for signups I'd be lucky to crack 500 signups, so this is all a moot point.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.