Author Topic: Walmart to buy jet.com?  (Read 7448 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart to buy jet.com?
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 02:43:42 PM »
Yes, I could have invested 18K to incentivize signups just like anyone here could have. Frankly I'm shocked they even allowed incentivized signups to count, did anyone save the terms?

But based on past experience from posting on DDMS and groveling for signups I'd be lucky to crack 500 signups, so this is all a moot point.

The guy didn't incentivize sign ups, he basically just advertised on google and other places to sign up for Jet using his link.
What's interesting is that no one has any clue how much the guy made. 100k shares means nothing if there are 1 billion shares or it can mean very much if there are 20 million shares.
Visibly Jewish

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2016, 02:44:56 PM »
The guy didn't incentivize sign ups, he basically just advertised on google and other places to sign up for Jet using his link.

or save 35$ or wtvr on your first order, a coupon jet offered

Dan, I bet you got 5000 uber signups

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
What's interesting is that no one has any clue how much the guy made. 100k shares means nothing if there are 1 billion shares or it can mean very much if there are 20 million shares.
I thought he offered Swagbucks or something?

or save 35$ or wtvr on your first order, a coupon jet offered
Dan, I bet you got 5000 uber signups
They weren't offering coupons when the referral promo was alive as the site wasn't live yet. If there was a live site with a good referral coupon, that would have been a different story and could have been made compelling with specific examples.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
I think that this is worse. Many people wanted to believe that will fail. Clouded glasses.

Was it successful? Did it become profitable? Did they become the "Amazon killer" they were raving about? Or did they just sell stuff below market value so that they can inflate their revenue?

This was a giant smoke and mirrors scheme by Marc Lore, the best mega-corporate salesman alive.

The main investors in Jet were Venture Capitalists and Hedge funds who knew Marc Lore's plan from the get-go. Fidelity didn't give $500 million to Jet to sell detergent.

Let's see how long Marc Lore stays as Walmart's "ecommerce guru". Walmart is not in the business of losing money...

Offline JTZ

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »
Was it successful? Did it become profitable? Did they become the "Amazon killer" they were raving about? Or did they just sell stuff below market value so that they can inflate their revenue?

This was a giant smoke and mirrors scheme by Marc Lore, the best mega-corporate salesman alive.

The main investors in Jet were Venture Capitalists and Hedge funds who knew Marc Lore's plan from the get-go. Fidelity didn't give $500 million to Jet to sell detergent.

Let's see how long Marc Lore stays as Walmart's "ecommerce guru". Walmart is not in the business of losing money...
From day one I said there only purpose was to be bought as their original business model would not succeed.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2016, 05:11:40 PM »

Yes, it was very successful.
They created the tech and put together a team of executives that Walmart wanted for itself.

It was never meant to be an amazon killer, that was the naive media narrative.
The idea of Jet was to take a small chunk of the rapidly expanding ecommerce pie.
Jet believes ecommerce sales will hit 1 trillion (revenue) in 10 years, their plan was to take 20 billion revenue in 5 years  (which is 20% of Amazon revenue NOW) and then be profitable. Hardly sounds like they planned to murder Amazon. That's why Jet was mainly focused on areas that Amazon doesn't have a stronghold on- pantry/cheap household items. They didn't really take amazon head on.

Walmart can see the Jet's real numbers for themselves. If they were absolutely terrible they would pick them up for pennies next year like all other ecommerce fads. Apparently Jet had something good (but admittedly- not great) going for them otherwise the sale would've never happened.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2016, 05:23:01 PM »
Lol, if it was that successful he would never sell out at this stage.

This is more about buying Lore and his team than anything else.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »
That is the usual strategy but its beyond stupid imho... why cant they just offer a 25 million salary ?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
Lol, if it was that successful he would never sell out at this stage.

This is more about buying Lore and his team than anything else.

3.3b is pretty darn successful. I already admitted that it wasn't a great but a good company but people only like to talk in superlatives. It's either Amazon killer or bankruptcy, when the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »
The 3.3B is the price for Lore to give up on chasing his dreams and controlling his own destiny, not necessarily what the company was worth.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2016, 05:53:41 PM »
The 3.3B is the price for Lore to give up on chasing his dreams and controlling his own destiny, not necessarily what the company was worth.

Dan, sent you a PM...

Offline zale

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2016, 07:24:44 PM »
Yes, it was very successful.
They created the tech and put together a team of executives that Walmart wanted for itself.

What team of executives?

It was never meant to be an amazon killer, that was the naive media narrative.

Well, maybe they never used the word "killer", but they definitely said they would "rival" Amazon.

The idea of Jet was to take a small chunk of the rapidly expanding ecommerce pie.
Jet believes ecommerce sales will hit 1 trillion (revenue) in 10 years, their plan was to take 20 billion revenue in 5 years  (which is 20% of Amazon revenue NOW) and then be profitable. Hardly sounds like they planned to murder Amazon. That's why Jet was mainly focused on areas that Amazon doesn't have a stronghold on- pantry/cheap household items. They didn't really take amazon head on.

To quote Obama's pet poodle: "this is a bunch of malarkey". This is a shell company with an enormous pile of cash to throw money at advertising and give away stuff below market value.

Walmart can see the Jet's real numbers for themselves. If they were absolutely terrible they would pick them up for pennies next year like all other ecommerce fads. Apparently Jet had something good (but admittedly- not great) going for them otherwise the sale would've never happened.

I will tell you a better story. The VC's that dropped pallets of cash onto Jet are able to pull some strings at Walmart.

Remember, we live in a new world where theoretical money making also has value.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2016, 07:29:16 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-07/amazon-vs-dot-jet-dot-com-marc-lore-aims-to-beat-bezos

Read the above original article on Jet and riddle me this:
1. Were they successful in what they set out to do?
2. Will Lore be able to stand WMs culture for more than the few years he put up with Amazon's culture?
3. Will Lore actually create change during his tenure at WM.com?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2016, 07:31:32 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-07/amazon-vs-dot-jet-dot-com-marc-lore-aims-to-beat-bezos

Read the above original article on Jet and riddle me this:
1. Were they successful in what they set out to do?
2. Will Lore be able to stand WMs culture for more than the few years he put up with Amazon's culture?
3. Will Lore actually create change during his tenure at WM.com?
If he hates Bezos enough and is out for revenge he might be able to.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
Can Amazon prohibit their affiliates from being Jet affiliates?  I always thought that that was the issue.
^^^

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
Spoiler alert: He'll be miserable. Very rich, but miserable.
Not that we'll ever know that due to the NDA.

http://www.recode.net/2016/8/10/12423902/walmart-jet-marc-lore-ceo-package-deal-terms

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »

http://www.recode.net/2016/8/10/12423902/walmart-jet-marc-lore-ceo-package-deal-terms

If it's not tied to performance, he doesn't have to do (as?) much...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »

What's his goal in life?
To be rich?
He already is rich.
To build a successful company?
Did that already.
To build a company that will give customers an alternative to Amazon?
Not accomplished yet and it will take him at least 4 more years according to his vision.
I think its a meaningful pursuit and I'll be rooting for anyone that tries doing the same...
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »
Clearly he's never been a WM customer if he thinks that place can be fixed.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2016, 02:11:51 PM »
Clearly he's never been a WM customer if he thinks that place can be fixed.

I'd think he'd be more excited about growing his baby than running walmart.com, though walmart.com is a lot better from the customer (and employee) perspective than the B&M.
Visibly Jewish