Author Topic: Trip report- summer Montana trip  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Trip report- summer Montana trip
« on: June 22, 2023, 06:37:50 AM »
To make a long story short- I planned a summer trip to Montana from NY for 20 family members as part of a 50 anniversary party for my parents. We are 3 siblings with families- 2 that live in Israel- all kids and single grandchildren came on this Montana trip Sun- thurs. 
Planning was started 7 months before the trip and I am not going into the details and drama- but all tickets were booked on points- many credit cards were opened for this purpose.  I could write a whole post about the different points and ticket combinations used- 3 different airlines coming from 3 different airports.  Flights that we had 20 seats on cancelled... But the focus of this report is the intinerary and amazing places we went to- to help others with planning.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 09:38:53 AM by Hi its me »

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Trip report- summer Montana trip
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 01:51:21 AM »
DAY ONE:
we landed in Bozeman, Montana, and set out for Upper Mesa Falls in Idaho.
This is a pretty powerful waterfall with a boardwalk kind of trail that leads all around it - beautiful views.  there was a small fee that was covered by our National Parks pass.  There was also a visitor center that had all kinds of interesting things to see, like different animal skins you could touch.  The rangers were nice and informative- we knew we were in Idaho when they told us that schools close for 2 weeks during the potato harvest- when it's all hands on deck!
nice place, need about an hour here.  As with most places on this trip- pit toilets, no running water.

Checked into hotel-SpringHill Suites Island Park Yellowstone, booked with Marriot points- they have large rooms for 6 people.  the hotel was nice, but crowded.  Then headed out to nearby Henry Lake state park for BBQ supper- this place was beautiful and we only saw one other family here.
As we pulled in, in started rainining, but cleared after 10 minutes and we got a rainbow!  there was a small fee to enter which was not covered by the park apss, b/c this is a state park and not federal.
Was pretty windy there, but didnt stop some of our kids from going into the lake.  We had a folding charcoal grill with us which handled hotdogs and hamburgers for 20 pple.   It was a beautiful location - lake with mountains in the background.

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 03:49:05 AM »
DAY 2: This was going to be our one and only day in Yellowstone and we needed to make the most of it.
We davened Netz in the hotel- there was a beautiful sunrise, the hotel was on a river.  Some bachurim on a road trip joined our minyan.  Then we ate breakfast in the hotel- cereal and fruit- some of our group only eats cholov yisroel so we brought CY box milk along with us. 

Then we drove to Yellowstone West enterance.  This trip was a few weeks after severe floods destroyed parts of Yelllowstone and closed down the whole park for a bit, so we were excited that we were able to almost everything we had planned.  Basically, the road in yellowstone looks like an 8, and we did the entire lower loop- originaly we planned to part of the upper loop and exit from the N entrance, but that entrance was still closed at the time of the trip.
We had bought park passes in advance and the entrance to Yellowstone took less time than anticipated.
Our first planned stop was The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, which is a waterfall and beautiful canyon, we did not hike here, just went to the overlook and enjoyed the views.  Along the drive it is amazing to see columns of smoke rising from different places in the distance, We did stop at some pits of bubbling mud- very cool to see.

Then we drove through Hayden valley- the buffalo were all over the place, some on the road, and it was amazing to see.

Next stop was West Thumb Geyser basin.  There is a boardwalk trail that takes you through different size/ shape/ color pools of boiling water and it is on Yellowstone lake, which is also beautiful  We set up a picnic lunch here, and then continued along the loop to Old Faithful.

We got to old faithful shortly after an eruption, so we had some time to hang out- daven mincha- some other frum pple there joined us, see the movie in the visitor center.  Then we piled out to the viewing area, and ending up waiting for close to half an hour- since old faithful was LATE.  But when she did blow, it was spectacular.

Our last stop of the day was to the overlook to see Grand Prismatic Spring- this was our only hike of the day- not too hard or long and the view was beautiful.  This was also the only time in the day we had to wait for parking (about 5 minutes) and had a bit of traffic in the park.

So we said goodbye to Yellowstone, I would describe it as awesome in the full sense of the word.
We were sleeping in Holiday Inn Helena that night, which was a 3 hour drive from the park.
We stopped in Enis at a park on a lake for a picnic supper of shnitzel sandwiches (the chicken was brought already made ) and some frisbee.
Pulled into the Helena hotel pretty late and went to sleep.

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 04:16:16 PM »
DAY 3: This day was the question in planning the trip- we needed to get to Glacier National Park, and I knew I wanted to be on the East side of the park to more easily access the things I wanted to do, the question was what to do on this day- somewhere between Helena and Babb.  We have some pple in our group very interested in the details of the Lewis and Clark expedition, so was looking into some museums and things like that, possibly the Gates of the mountain boat tour.  In the end I decided on a rafting trip, and I think it was a great choice.
This was the only day with a "late" wakeup on the trip- 8 AM- and after breakfast we headed to Walmart of Helena to replenish fruits and vegees, bread, snacks and also managed to get t shirts, caps, slides and other cheap items. Then we headed to meet the rafting guy.  We had reserved 2 rafts for 6 pple each, some SUPs and a 2 person kayak and we pretty much spent a few hours along the Missouri river, with the beautiful scenery in the background throughout.  Everyone could either choose to paddle, relax, jump in and swim,  I think we were in the water for about 3 hours and we had a really great time.  We hardly saw any other pple on our trip in the river. 
The guy we rented from was extremely accomodating, he txied the drivers of our cars to the ending spot first so we would have all our stuff at the end place, was cheaper than other places I had called and was extremely nice!  this was the one paid activity on this trip and it cost 580$ for 20 pple.
We got out of the water at a place with picnic tables, where we set up a big picnic lunch.
Then we drove the rest of the way to Babb- another beautiful drive.

Offline Natey

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 10:53:27 PM »
Great TR and gorgeous photos!

Online mlight

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 11:30:48 PM »
Nice TR. What time if year was this?

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 03:11:36 AM »
This trip took place mid- Aug 2022.
Day 4: Glacier National Park is called the Crown of the continent- "A showcase of melting glaciers, alpine meadows, carved valleys, and spectacular lakes."- from the national parks site.  It was the place I was most excited to visit on this trip and it did not dissapoint.  Glacier has a very small window where all it's roads are open-  July through early Oct- It is otherwise snowed in.  That makes for an extremly large number of visitors in the summer.  They have instituted a pass that you need to buy in advance in order to enter the park- it opens for purchase a few months in and it does sell out.  We all bought our passes on chol hamoed pesach before the trip (2$ each).  In addition you need to pay entrance or have the national Park pass.  The workaround to the pass if it sold out is to enter before 6 AM - which we did anyway!
The west side of the park has the towns of whitefish and kalispal, an airport, lots of chain hotels, touristy things, etc.  I wanted to stay on the east side, so we would have a 15 min drive to our hike int he morning as opposed to 1 1/2 hours.
The east side is an indian reservation, and basically has nothing- there were some airbnb's- but none that could handle our whole group. 
WE finally found the hook's hideaway motel- it looked barebones- but clean - so we booked (we stayed here 2 nights).  We refered  to this place as the "happiness hotel"- if anyone has seen the Muppet Caper Movie, you'll understand.
WE pulled up the night before after driving down a dark and deserted gravel road for about 10 minutes to the place- a basic aluminum box wth  the word MOTEL running down the side.  There is no front desk, and they had called us earlier telling us they were leaving the keys in all the doors and we should let ourselves in- We did, and found it pretty basic but clean- each room had 2 twin queen beds + a tiny couch and the bathrooms had sliding barn doors.
they were new and clean and we went to bed.

We got up early enough to daven netz in the park at the trailhead- It was actually freezing cold.  After a breakfast of cereal and milk we set out on our hike- Grinnell Glacier.  This hike can only be described as EPIC.  It was truly beautiful every step of the way.  There were beautiful waterfalls, wildflowers, some big horn sheep, and lakes of the most beautiful turquoise color.  Every few feet- we said wow- and stopped for pics, and then it just got prettier!
It was a long climb up- and the last half an hour is a pretty steep climb up- but we all made it, including my 70+ yr old parents and 7 year old son.  At the top you reach the glacier which has its own beauty and some of the boys took the polar plunge and jumped in!
After spending some time at the top, we took the hike down- yes it was hard but we were treated to the same beautiful views.
This hike lived up to its hype- was truly spectacular.
I think I was the last one of the group to get down, and it took just over 7 hours round trip with over an hour spent on top.
We literally collapsed in the grass- then davened mincha with some other frum pple that were there.

now it was back to the Happiness Hotel for our big 50th anniversary bash- we sent our parents to take a nap and we got to work.  The motel has an amazing huge bar that they let us use for free- what you'd expect of an old western bar- a huge room with antlers on the walls, rodeo and beer signs and lots of gadgets.   We brought our own anniversary decorations with us, set up the grill and made a great party, complete with a family song, a banner, a game, speech etc.  we finished as the sun was setting and cows were literally roaming the motel grounds. 

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 04:42:29 AM »
DAY 5- This was the last day of the trip and we again woke up early to daven netz at the trailhead- this time in logan pass. Logan pass sits on the continental divide- has a big parking lot and visitor center and is the start of some amazing hikes.  The thing is, parking is a nightmare- hence our early start. And we had 4 cars to park.
Logan pass at sunrise- note the amount of parking spots!

There was construction on the park road at the west side, and they only opened the west enterance to the park at 6 AM- that meant that most pple could not get to logan pass before 7 AM- so we pulled in with 4 cars and an empty parking lot at 6.
After davening + breakfast we set out for the highline trail- the general consensus is that there are 2 epic hikes in the park- Grinnell Glacier and Highline trail and pple are divided as to which is "better".  I chose Grinnell as our full day hike and today we set out on just the first half hour or so off the highline and then turned back. It was beautiful and very different than the Grinnell Glacier- you are walking on a trail that hugs the edge of a cliff for sweeping views across the Going to the Sun road- which is called one of the most beautiful roads in the country.  We would be driving that later in the day.

We tehn set out for Hidden Lake Overlook, another hike that leaves from the Logan Pass parking lot- This hike has a wooden boardwalk of lots of steps that leads through a beautiful area with tons of wildflowers, streams and waterfalls.  The hike up the boardwalk was pretty challenging, maybe b/c when you hear boardwalk, you think of a relaxing stroll.  It was boiling hot on this hike, and the kids found a patch of snow for a snowball fight along the way.

After this hike we left logan pass- the parking lot can only be described as a zoo, with cars chasing you asking if you're leaving etc.  ple circling for an hour.
We starting our drive down the going to sun road and pulled into a rest area for a picnic lunch.

views from Going to the Sun Road- Jackson Glacier overlook

Last stop of the day was Trail of Cedars- this a wheelchair accesible hike, which was all we could handle at this time of day.  It was also the only shaded hike we went on, but cannot compare in "wowness" to the other hikes we were on.

WE then drove to the tiny Kalispel international airport for our flight to Salt Lake city.  It's the type of airport that you need to arrive 1/2 hour before the flight if you need to return a car.

TSA going through my niece's backpack after she told them she had no water on her.

In SLC airport we ate supper, held camp cousins banquet and award ceremony, and got on our flight to JFK- landed friday morning at 6 AM.
In time to prepare for the grand anniversary shabbos.
It was an amazing trip- and was hard for everyone to choose their hi-lite- for some was the sights of yellowstone, some chose the rafting trip, some the glacier hike, some said the anniversary party.
All in all, an amazing trip on a budget. 
Amazing in terms of the things we saw and pulling it off with the whole family.

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 05:04:23 AM »

Offline mme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 06:40:15 PM »
Wow amazing trip repot. Thank you!

Offline yoohoo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 07:56:31 PM »
Looks awesome. How young were the children on this trip?

Offline Hi its me

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 01:46:09 AM »
Youngest was 7, most were upper teens.

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2023, 03:32:41 PM »
Planning was started 7 months before the trip and I am not going into the details and drama- but all tickets were booked on points- many credit cards were opened for this purpose.  I could write a whole post about the different points and ticket combinations used- 3 different airlines coming from 3 different airports.  Flights that we had 20 seats on cancelled... But the focus of this report is the intinerary and amazing places we went to- to help others with planning.
this is what i want to hear about! ;D

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2023, 03:50:27 PM »

Online Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost