Author Topic: 12 Day Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming  (Read 17112 times)

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Day Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 03:00:06 AM »
I'm following this TR because I'm looking forward to doing a very similar trip in two weeks be"H, though we'll be starting from Vegas (Hoover Dam!) and heading down to Zion, Page, Grand Canyon, Sedona, and then a flight home from Phoenix.
How early do we need to get to the Grand Canyon to make it in time for sunset? We'll be coming from Sedona in the late afternoon and wonder how early we need to arrive to our hotel in Tusayan, outside the park.
Thanks for a great TR. Can't wait to hear about Zion!

You can't drive to the eastern lookup points so you'll need to find parking and take a shuttle. Add some time for that because parking will be difficult. 

Definitely squeeze Bryce into your itinerary.  It's a sight that you will not want to miss.  You can do it in under an hour if you're in a rush. Just stop at a couple of points, walk down a little and move on.

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »
Beautiful! Keep it coming!

Offline ari9

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
loving this TR, thank you!

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »
Day Seven - Shabbos

Activity:
Morning Temple Square - So this may be a little controversial, but this is a TR, not a halacha class.   We woke up late, had lunch and then went to Temple Square which was only a block away from our Airbnb apartment.  It really is a fascinating place with a lot to see.  I especially love learning about other religions, their history and beliefs, so this was a real treat.

I prepped my sons about the religious side of the visit and how we view Mormonism and Christianity, etc.  I'm quite open with them about what's out there and I thought this would be a good experience for them too. 

We didn't need payment or ID so didn't need to carry anything.  The museum had an automatic door so we just waited for someone else to go through first. Other than that we were able to walk around freely.  They have a tons of young female missionaries from around the world that hang around and try to talk to you. Some of them were pretty Jesus pushy and some of them were more laid back.  We had some fascinating conversations and learned a ton.  The artwork is gorgeous.

Then we decided to take the tour.  It is offered for free in any of 50 languages.  It was interesting to learn the history of the buildings at first but then got too preachy about halfway through so we got uncomfortable and separated from the tour.

Lastly there was a recital of the Tabernacle Organ. That was one thing I had never heard.  I thought it was going to be amazing but it was just OK. The world famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir was going to practice the next morning but we were heading out so couldn't watch.

Activity:
City Creek Center - An outdoor mall that's fun to walk through.  They have toy stores that the kids liked to play it and all kinds of shops.  Was a fun Shabbos afternoon activity.

That was Shabbos, we watched some Olympics on TV after havdala and then went to sleep. A lot to do tomorrow at Yellowstone!

Offline stbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »
wow you guys really pack it in! what an epic family trip! keep it coming!
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 11:24:33 AM »
Day Seven - Shabbos

Activity:
Morning Temple Square - So this may be a little controversial, but this is a TR, not a halacha class.   We woke up late, had lunch and then went to Temple Square which was only a block away from our Airbnb apartment.  It really is a fascinating place with a lot to see.  I especially love learning about other religions, their history and beliefs, so this was a real treat.

I prepped my sons about the religious side of the visit and how we view Mormonism and Christianity, etc.  I'm quite open with them about what's out there and I thought this would be a good experience for them too. 

We didn't need payment or ID so didn't need to carry anything.  The museum had an automatic door so we just waited for someone else to go through first. Other than that we were able to walk around freely.  They have a tons of young female missionaries from around the world that hang around and try to talk to you. Some of them were pretty Jesus pushy and some of them were more laid back.  We had some fascinating conversations and learned a ton.  The artwork is gorgeous.

Then we decided to take the tour.  It is offered for free in any of 50 languages.  It was interesting to learn the history of the buildings at first but then got too preachy about halfway through so we got uncomfortable and separated from the tour.

Lastly there was a recital of the Tabernacle Organ. That was one thing I had never heard.  I thought it was going to be amazing but it was just OK. The world famous Mormon Tabernacle Choir was going to practice the next morning but we were heading out so couldn't watch.

Activity:
City Creek Center - An outdoor mall that's fun to walk through.  They have toy stores that the kids liked to play it and all kinds of shops.  Was a fun Shabbos afternoon activity.

That was Shabbos, we watched some Olympics on TV after havdala and then went to sleep. A lot to do tomorrow at Yellowstone!
thanks! any chance of finishing?

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 01:22:49 AM »
Looks like a well-planned trip; very nice!

Waiting to read about Yellowstone.

Any update?

Online yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 12:14:39 AM »
Day Seven - Shabbos

Activity:

Activity:

Anything on the remainder of the trip?

Offline ShlockDoc

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 07:48:42 AM »
Anything on the remainder of the trip?

I got lazy.

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 09:27:33 AM »
Thanks for posting your trip report! I am planning a trip to AZ in July with my four kids and got so many good ideas from your TR. Which hike by the Grand Canyon would you recommend for 4 kids ages 12,9,7 and 4 and keep in mind the heat as well?

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2023, 01:24:03 PM »

Activity:
Swimming in Lake Powell - This was just a few miles north of Horseshoe Bend and a delicious respite from the heat and hiking. Again, if you don't go mixed swimming, skip this spot, but if you do, definitely take a dip.  Most places with access to the water charge for parking but we found a spot that didn't.   

Take a gravel road on right side just before the dam as you leave Page to access a big parking at the end of it (it is the second parking on the way about 5 min drive from main road). You can then hike down through the rocks to a small beach and take a swim in the lake.

The rocks that you climb down are really cool formations. My kids decided to not swim and just climb around which was great for them. I went swimming and the water was great. My wife stayed on the rocks and just took pictures of everyone.

Trying to pinpoint this on a map. any chance you remember the exact location?

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
Re: Midwest Roadtrip - Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2023, 08:42:38 PM »
Trying to pinpoint this on a map. any chance you remember the exact location?
Prob here

WGV8+WF7 Lake Powell, Arizona

(36.9447946, -111.4838341)
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible