Author Topic: Purchasing extended warranty on large appliances  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Purchasing extended warranty on large appliances
« on: November 04, 2016, 10:38:58 AM »
Is it recommended to get the 3/5 years extended warranty on new big appliances? do you and have you ever had the need to use it?

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Purchasing extended warranty on large appliances
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 11:36:20 AM »
Is it recommended to get the 3/5 years extended warranty on new big appliances? do you and have you ever had the need to use it?
With any extended warranty you should find out if you would need to use a specific service company for any repairs. Then find out if you want to use that service company. We have a kenmore freezer which the thermostat went during the warranty and we could only get service from Sears. It took a week until someone came and then he needed to order a part and another week until he could came again to install the part.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Entrepreneur

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
I have a KitchenAid French Door Fridge that died.  Luckily, I was still within a 5 year warranty by about 20 days that covers the compressor (and the sealed system). I still had to pay a $110 fee for the diagnosis by KitchenAid because it was not within the 2 year part. I had to pay KitchenAid and not some local guy because KitchenAid will only cover the repair if their contracted people do the diagnosis.

Basically, I would buy the extended after this experience. Also, the repair guy said to do it since the fridges are "not made like they used to"

Online ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:49:01 AM »
I bought the 5 year warranty for my 5 appliances. It was well worth it. 2 of my appliances needed repairs during that time.  They send the repair guy, and he came in a timely manner, although you should probably ask about that when buying the contract.
The warranty gave me my money back when one appliance couldn't be repaired. I bought a warranty on the replacement appliance. It, too plotzed. These people didn't quite give me back my whole purchase price.  They pushed me into 'current value', since I had used it for a year.   
I got a warranty on the next replacement for it.
My favorite cause: cssy.org