Author Topic: Vocal (voice) Questions Master Thread  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Miracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Vocal (voice) Questions Master Thread
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
Hey DDFers,

This thread to answer any questions you have pertaining to your voice. Please note, I am not an ENT, so the advice I give is not a substitute for seeking professional medical help. I am, however, a voice teacher and have a lot of knowledge, experience, and advice when it comes to using your voice properly. I am doing this as a free service. Please feel free to ask my anything. I will usually have the answers but if I don't, it would be my pleasure to do the research! Please be patient and I will try to respond in a timely manner.

Have a wonderful one,
Nissim (a.k.a. Miracles)    ;)

Online Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Re: Vocal (voice) Questions Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 10:04:18 AM »
And there i thought DDF covered it all already ;)
But thanks for offering your knowledge for those that need it
#TYH

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »
And there i thought DDF covered it all already ;)
But thanks for offering your knowledge for those that need it
I did a search before offering my services - I saw there was nothing like it  :)  It's my pleasure to help the DDF community.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:38:18 PM »
I'll run the first question: Why do I many times feel like a lump in my throat toward the end of chazzaras hashatz (when I'm the baal tefillah, of course)? I tried lowering my voice (volume), but that helped only a little.

Online myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:20:14 AM »
Ever heard of putting helium in your throat (suck helium from a balloon and you get yourself a Squeaky  voice?  Is that damage to your voice? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 01:28:19 AM »
Ever heard of putting helium in your throat (suck helium from a balloon and you get yourself a Squeaky  voice?  Is that damage to your voice?
Don't know if damage, but someone told me his brother passed out for a few minutes after trying it.

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:14:41 AM »
I'll run the first question: Why do I many times feel like a lump in my throat toward the end of chazzaras hashatz (when I'm the baal tefillah, of course)? I tried lowering my voice (volume), but that helped only a little.
The 'lump-in-your-throat' feeling comes from tension. For example, when you swallow, your neck starts to tighten up. Try that now... Put your hands on your neck and swallow... It's something that happens when we're nervous, tense, anxious (not necessarily from being up on the amid but could be from daily matters like family, money, job, etc.

It could be from not using your vocals properly - example, when your larynx (that's the Adam's Apple area) are high, then people tend to sing from their throat. As opposed to singing (rather, supporting) from their diaphragm (in the stomach.)

When you say you tried lowering your voice - what did you mean? Volume; as you put in parenthesis, like one would do on a boombox, to lower the music, or lower meaning, you brought down the key? Just to clarify.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 02:22:51 AM »
The 'lump-in-your-throat' feeling comes from tension. For example, when you swallow, your neck starts to tighten up. Try that now... Put your hands on your neck and swallow... It's something that happens when we're nervous, tense, anxious (not necessarily from being up on the amid but could be from daily matters like family, money, job, etc.

It could be from not using your vocals properly - example, when your larynx (that's the Adam's Apple area) are high, then people tend to sing from their throat. As opposed to singing (rather, supporting) from their diaphragm (in the stomach.)

When you say you tried lowering your voice - what did you mean? Volume; as you put in parenthesis, like one would do on a boombox, to lower the music, or lower meaning, you brought down the key? Just to clarify.
I lowered the volume, not really the key. (Hence the parenthesized word).

P.S. Good morning (if you are where your location implies...)  :)

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 02:27:04 AM »
The reason why our voice gets higher when we inhale helium is because helium weighs lighter than oxygen.
The way we make a sound is by exhaling air, making our vocal cords to vibrate, producing sound. Helium makes the vocal cords vibrate faster, since it's lighter, which in return raises the frequency to our sound, hence the high pitch voice.

Helium, to my understanding, can lead to vocal damage with time. Not to mention, it's dangerous for your respiratory system in general.

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 02:31:57 AM »
I lowered the volume, not really the key. (Hence the parenthesized word).

P.S. Good morning (if you are where your location implies...)  :)
Lowering the volume helped a bit only because you weren't putting so much pressure on your vocal cords anymore. It's not a long-term solution though, since you want to be able to use your voice, at comfortable key, and to be able to project without having to feel tired or strained.

Herbal Caffeine Free tea is good to help release tension. Main ones are Chamomile Tea which helps you relax. There are also exercises you can do to build vocal muscle to help you control your voice.

And yes, It's 9:30 am, so thanks :) Good morning!

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 02:34:53 AM »
Lowering the volume helped a bit only because you weren't putting so much pressure on your vocal cords anymore. It's not a long-term solution though, since you want to be able to use your voice, at comfortable key, and to be able to project without having to feel tired or strained.

Herbal Caffeine Free tea is good to help release tension. Main ones are Chamomile Tea which helps you relax. There are also exercises you can do to build vocal muscle to help you control your voice.

It could be that I'm tense cuz I try to finish the chazzaras hashatz very quickly, does that make any sense?

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:45:52 AM »
It could be that I'm tense cuz I try to finish the chazzaras hashatz very quickly, does that make any sense?
When you're up there, take a few deep breaths. See how that works for you. Breathe and take your time. Don't rush through it because what happens is that when we're up there, our adrenaline starts to kick in and then we start doing things a bit faster. Example: If you were to run to shul to make mincha, you're huffing and puffing. If you notice, you're probably going to start saying shmoneh esrei quicker than you would want to. When that happens, slow things down in your system by centering yourself. STOP. BREATHE. then daven.

Online myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 12:30:37 PM »

When you say exercise for your Vocal muscles what do you mean?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 02:17:43 PM »
When you say exercise for your Vocal muscles what do you mean?
Different types of sounds that strengthen your muscles. Things like "Liprolls," "Tongue Trills," etc... There's a whole bunch of things one can do.

Here's an example I just found online doing a random search. Please note, I am not endorsing this guy. I don't know who he is, but I did watch the whole thing to make sure I didn't disagree with what he says. When he talks about the "low sound" it means to make a doopy sound, like from Barney the Dinosaur or Shuky from Mavelos Middos Machine. A bit hard to explain in text.

&ab_channel=wovuween147

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »
Vocal abuse most likely.  Relaxing and the breathing exercises that Nissim recommends certainly reduce tension in the area.   Nissim is right on that you most likely are straining (to project sound) or tensing (to get through quickly) among other possibilities.  Acute care would be vocal rest (ie, try not to talk or else just whisper) and certainly no screaming for the period following the "lump" feeling.  Lecturers and some teachers use small, body microphones to prevent the abuse.  A couple lessons with a good voice teacher/speech therapist can teach you how to use your voice correctly to prevent the "lump" feeling.  Prolonged "lump" feeling/vocal abuse can create vocal nodules.  Hey--maybe Nissim can come over and do a Voice DO!

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 03:43:03 PM »
Vocal abuse most likely.  Relaxing and the breathing exercises that Nissim recommends certainly reduce tension in the area.   Nissim is right on that you most likely are straining (to project sound) or tensing (to get through quickly) among other possibilities.  Acute care would be vocal rest (ie, try not to talk or else just whisper) and certainly no screaming for the period following the "lump" feeling.  Lecturers and some teachers use small, body microphones to prevent the abuse.  A couple lessons with a good voice teacher/speech therapist can teach you how to use your voice correctly to prevent the "lump" feeling.  Prolonged "lump" feeling/vocal abuse can create vocal nodules.  Hey--maybe Nissim we can come over and do a Voice DO!
Thanks!

...and FTFY  :)
Would love to have another visit to the Holy Land!

Offline Miracle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 03:44:37 PM »
Vocal abuse most likely.  Relaxing and the breathing exercises that Nissim recommends certainly reduce tension in the area.   Nissim is right on that you most likely are straining (to project sound) or tensing (to get through quickly) among other possibilities.  Acute care would be vocal rest (ie, try not to talk or else just whisper) and certainly no screaming for the period following the "lump" feeling.  Lecturers and some teachers use small, body microphones to prevent the abuse.  A couple lessons with a good voice teacher/speech therapist can teach you how to use your voice correctly to prevent the "lump" feeling.  Prolonged "lump" feeling/vocal abuse can create vocal nodules.  Hey--maybe Nissim can come over and do a Voice DO!
I just want to correct something you mentioned - if someone's feeling tension or hoarse, whispering is not good for the vocals since whispering creates uneven amounts of airflow and can actually irritate the throat more.

Voice DO - sounds fun :)    I'd have to put that on hold for now, though.  I am located in Jerusalem if anyone's interested in taking voice lessons. I've got at least a decade of experience, not including my background in singing as a child.

Until then, please feel free to ask anything in this thread.

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 07:11:09 PM »

... if someone's feeling tension or hoarse, whispering is not good for the vocals since whispering creates uneven amounts of airflow and can actually irritate the throat more.

Correct, it is not the ideal, especially when speakers try to whisper "louder".  Horrendous for the poor vocal cords. If the speaker can't refrain from talking using hand/face signs and a notepad, I think quiet whisper with only possible abuse is better than misusing the vocal cords by slamming them together with tension abuse.

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »
How does one assess whether or not it is worthwhile to invest in their voice?
I think I have a nice voice, but I'm not sure if when people say shkoyach and I like your voice and things like that if they mean it or are being nice.
In addition, is it worth putting in a lot of money, would it always be worth the return with rh/yk etc?
Also, what is the said goal of voice lessons?
Thank you.
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »
How does one assess whether or not it is worthwhile to invest in their voice?
I think I have a nice voice, but I'm not sure if when people say shkoyach and I like your voice and things like that if they mean it or are being nice.
In addition, is it worth putting in a lot of money, would it always be worth the return with rh/yk etc?
Also, what is the said goal of voice lessons?
Thank you.
Make a recording, and listen to it yourself. See what you think about it. ;)