Author Topic: Change credit cards after return to get insurance  (Read 1428 times)

Offline 50runner

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Change credit cards after return to get insurance
« on: August 08, 2016, 02:17:57 AM »
I reserved and rented a car with amex. I don't own a car so was counting on the cards cdw coverage.
Today before return I did some minor damage but the charge was quite large.
But upon reading the AMEX terms my car was a full size SUV and above 50k in value so I don't think my claim will be honored.
If this is the case should I call in to the rental company and change the charge to my other credit card which doesn't have this kind of restriction? In the terms it states only the rental must be paid (no language on reserving) with the CC.
What do you think?
1-will amex decline the claim?
2-if I switched CCs would it work?
Thanks!

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
Re: Change credit cards after return to get insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47:11 PM »
I reserved and rented a car with amex. I don't own a car so was counting on the cards cdw coverage.
But upon reading the AMEX terms my car was a full size SUV and above 50k in value so I don't think my claim will be honored.
If this is the case should I call in to the rental company and change the charge to my other credit card which doesn't have this kind of restriction? In the terms it states only the rental must be paid (no language on reserving) with the CC.
What do you think?
Thanks!
It's usually the rental company which processes the damages and play around to be able to get $ for the rental from the cc company! Did you ask them what you should do? Or which credit card you should use? (this is from my own experience) don't know if they all do it this way! )
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
What do you think?
Thanks!
You can try asking in an existing thread, where you might get other opinions!
 http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=4830.0
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline dovidb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 05:05:09 AM »
Corect me if I'm wrong but as long as you didn't do 50k in damage amex should cover. 50k is the max they will pa they don't care what the car is worth

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »
Corect me if I'm wrong but as long as you didn't do 50k in damage amex should cover. 50k is the max they will pa they don't care what the car is worth
I don't know about amex persay, but I do believe your wrong. Since they don't want to end up paying 50k, they just write that they don't cover certain car classes at all.

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »
What do you think?
Thanks!
Do you have amex premium car rental? Cuz they usually cover the more expensive cars...for an extra 25$