Author Topic: A few days in Grand Cayman  (Read 12814 times)

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
Re: A few days in Grand Cayman
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
When I went we went to the Westin the hotel itself has a very Corporate feel not my type. But the pool was nice and the beach is the real gem. Service was super BUT get ready to spend $50+ a day on drinks

everything is expensive and then more because it's in GC
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 02:45:09 PM »
When I went we went to the Westin the hotel itself has a very Corporate feel not my type. But the pool was nice and the beach is the real gem. Service was super BUT get ready to spend $50+ a day on drinks

everything is expensive and then more because it's in GC

I spent a few hours there to make sure I wasn't missing out.  Yes, the beach is the best part of the hotel.  The pool reminded me of hanging out by the pool at the Fountainbleu in Miami though it's not nearly as big.  The other problem is that the Westin was super crowded, IDK how one can feel a sense of relaxation when they're there.  The holiday inn was super quiet except for the weekends when the entire Island of Jamaica comes for a relaxing weekend

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »
To Note: this was the NICEST Sand i have ever felt under my feet in all of my travels
the warm sand is PINK and literally melts under your feet between your toes. The water was strong and enjoyable.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
To Note: this was the NICEST Sand i have ever felt under my feet in all of my travels
the warm sand is PINK and literally melts under your feet between your toes. The water was strong and enjoyable.

Great sand indeed.  I personally like the sand by Taylor Bay in T&C best.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
Great sand indeed.  I personally like the sand by Taylor Bay in T&C best.
never been to T&C

one of my future go to spots I hope
-DMC

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »
Day 2:

We woke up early for the morning trip out to stingray city.  I would like to thank @CS91 for suggesting using captain marvin's; they were very accommodating with the baby.  We were picked up in a Toyota Coaster van; we had our own van because we were the only ones going on the boat from a hotel as opposed to a cruise ship.  For some reason they drove us to the store front just to sign a paper to check in; I think it was a ploy to get us to buy things from their gift shop.  After signing in, we were off to the boat (literally went back towards the hotel.)  We were the first ones on the boat.  After 5 minutes, everyone from the cruise arrived.  They were all so nice, I knew it wasn't a cruise that left from NY  :P they actually left from New Orleans.  They were in Jamaica the day before and were going to be in Cozumel, Mexico the next day. 

We made our way out to Stingray City; it was literally crowded with many people from many different boats, but our boat went to a nice area that wasn't so crowded.  The water here was gorgeous, crystal clear.  It was so cool feeding the sting rays and petting them.  The guides from the boat were so nice, they even helped the baby pet a few sting ray.  This experience was really cool.  When we were in Atlantis back in 2013 we also fed Stingray, but that was a totally different experience:

Atlantis-About 100 sting ray in a salt water pool.  They were all small.  They surround you the whole time thinking that you have food.  It was cool to feed them and touch them, but you don't have a second where the stingrays aren't surrounding you.
Stingray City-You are in the middle of the ocean where the water is beautiful.  Stingray are around, not all over you like they were in Atlantis.  Here they are in their natural environment.  Stingrays here are all different sizes and not at all rough with you expecting you to feed them.

On our way back, we made a stop to snorkel.  It was a lot of people's first time snorkeling, so random people would grab on to you because they just didn't know what they were doing.  I was literally trying to swim to my own area to get good underwater pictures and teenagers would just grab on to my flipper or leg because they were scared.  Anyway, it was a nice snorkel spot; not the best snorkeling that I've done, but it was nice.  It was like a first time snorkelers spot.  I liked this spot better than Cancun.  The coral here was better than the Bahamas, but there weren't a lot of different species of fish here like there were in the Bahamas.  I still think that Eilat was the best I have yet to experience. 

It started to rain right as our boat was pulling back to the dock, literally perfect timing.  We took our private van back to the hotel which was so close (could have taken a boat from the hotel to stingray city, good to know for anyone who will stay at the Holiday Inn).  We went out for a little to pick up some ice cream from the supermarket.  Then we went back to the hotel, swam in the pool for a little, and then we called it a day. 

Pictures and day 3 to follow very soon.  :)

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 04:44:18 PM »
never been to T&C

I highly recommend it.  Best place to just unwind, take in the views and do nothing for a few days.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 10:13:44 PM »
never been to T&C

i LOVED IT... just need to rent a car next time.. I ended up biking the island.. insanely stunning!!

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:52 PM »
Vacations 035 by mgoldhammer18, on Flickr

Vacations 021 by mgoldhammer18, on Flickr

Vacations 016 by mgoldhammer18, on Flickr
Crew member catching a stingray for people to pet

Vacations 012 by mgoldhammer18, on Flickr
DW and baby petting a stingray

Vacations 008 by mgoldhammer18, on Flickr

Vacations 069 by mgoldhammer18, on Flickr

Vacations 062 by mgoldhammer18, on Flickr

Vacations 050 by mgoldhammer18, on Flickr

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »
Sick
-DMC

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 01:10:45 PM »
Day 3:

For day 3 we decided to check out the turtle farm as it was a more kid friendly activity.  The baby loves to go to zoos, so we figured why not.  We drove down the wrong road and ended up in Hell- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Grand_Cayman
After finding our way back, we made it to the turtle farm.  You need to park by the dolphin discovery place and walk to the turtle farm, good way trying to get people to do both. 

The turtle farm was fun...for kids, and the baby enjoyed herself, so that's what really matters.  It is basically 10 different pools of a few different kinds of turtles.  There is one pool where you can pick up a turtle and pet it.  If you pay extra there are a few more things to do there like swim in a man made lagoon or see some birds; I'll pass.

We left the turtle farm and were on our way to seven mile beach.  I decided I wanted to go to the beach through the Westin to see what I was missing out on.  We changed into our bathing suits and all of a sudden it starts pouring.  This was the longest storm during our time in GC, about a half an hour, not so bad.  While it was raining we did some exploring of the hotel.  It's a very nice hotel, but very crowded and noisy.  The hotel is under renovations.  The pictures of what the hotel will look like after the renovations look very nice; an open airy lobby looking out to the pool and ocean; sounds like Hawaii.  After the rain stopped we chilled by the pool area.  For those of you who ever chilled by the pools by the Fountainbleu in Miami, The Westin pool experience is similar to that, but not on such a high madreiga like the Fountainbleu.  The pool(s) is/are very big and broken up into several sections.  There are lounge chairs and pool beds all over the place.  There must have been 150 people chilling by the pool which is why it reminded me of the Fountainbleu; it had a very similar vibe being that all of the guests were American.  Overall the hotel looked very nice, but I didn't feel that I was missing out on much by not staying there.

After exploring the Westin we went to the beach by the hotel.  It was a very nice beach overall.  I hate to say it, but I feel spoiled-ever since I have been to Turks & Caicos, I have yet to be blown away by the ocean water anywhere else.  Don't get me wrong, the water by seven mile beach was beautiful, but it did not match up to the beautiful calm clear waters of Turks & Caicos (beware if you ever make it to T&C that you will be spoiled, at least when it comes to the Caribbean; I am sure Bora Bora and Maldives blows the Caribbean out of the water, no pun intended).  The beach was nice, it was a little crowded by the Westin area.  There was no feeling of seclusion because other hotels were very close by.

After the beach we picked up some magazines for Shabbos.  We headed back to the hotel, went for a swim and got ready for shabbos.

Pictures to follow.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »
well written.
-DMC

Offline JayR

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 07:15:53 PM »
Nice photos! Keep it up.
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 04:56:41 PM »
-DMC

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 09:37:57 AM »
Day 4 (Shabbos):

Shabbos was relaxing and uneventful.  DW took a nap when the baby took a morning nap, so I davened, read, and walked to the beach and just chilled out.  The food from seasons tasted great.  After lunch the baby went for an afternoon nap, so I went for a nap also.  After all naps, the baby was getting fussy, so we put her in the pool tube and we say on top of the steps by the pool, put her in the tube and held on to her while she was floating in the pool.  The entire island of Jamaica made their way over to Grand Cayman for the weekend; I guess Zika might end up there  :P Shabbos was the only time when the pool area was loud due to all of the visitors from Jamaica.  Overall, shabbos was relaxing and uneventful.

Day 5 (Last day):

We got up early, and packed up.  We decided to go for one last swim before the rest of the hotel guests would wake up.  It was nice having the pool all to ourselves.  We then checked out, packed up the car and were on our way.  When we arrived in GC, every employee at the airport stressed that we must be there 3 hours before the flight; Americans think they don't need to be here 3 hours before the flight, but you must.  We took that with a grain of salt and said maybe we will be there 2 and a half hours before, maybe.  Anyway, I dropped off DW, baby and the luggage by the terminal; there was an employee waiting there to take our luggage, nice touch.  I then returned the car and the agent decided to be nicer than she was when we arrived.  After I dropped off the car, I walked over to the terminal to check in.  We got to the "gate" and felt like we were in a third world country.  Grand Cayman is a rich Island, feels like a nice beach city in America, but their airport does not represent that.  75% of the terminal was a crowded room, the other 25% was a tent with no air conditioning.  If I ever make it back there, I will make sure to arrive 30 minutes before the flight.

Overall, it was a great trip, but a short trip due to my lack of off time.  I am planning on saving my off days for a trip to Hawaii this January IYH.  Grand Cayman is a great destination.  One maybe needs 3 full days there.  Stingray city was definitely the highlight of the trip.  I wish I could have explored more beaches while I was there.  If I ever return, I think I might spend time on the other Cayman Islands.  Not the greatest Caribbean destination, but still very nice.  I recommend this place for a family.

Offline gavhaller

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 10:40:05 AM »
I recommend this place for a family.

Thanks.