Author Topic: RV/Motorhome/Camper Master Thread  (Read 3335 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: RV/Motorhome/Camper Master Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2016, 11:58:15 PM »
Bringing baby along on road trip and trying to decide if to take a mini travel stroller (MB nano), or a hefty one with jumbo wheels (BJ City Select).

On the one hand the hefty stroller would be great for hikes etc, plus if the baby doesn't like the beds (or we don't find a safe method of keeping her on one) baby can always sleep in the lie- flat stroller, and there's definitely room in an RV for that. On the other hand, the mini stroller can fold up and come with us on the plane in the overhead bins (thus minimizing any damage), and more importantly I'm switching half way through the road trip from an RV to a car, and the hefty stroller takes up a ton of room so if I'm stuck with a compact car I may be in trouble fitting everything in.

Any thoughts?  What would you recommend I bring?

As this is very time sensitive I'd appreciate any feedback asap!

TIA!
If it was me I'd most likely take the bigger stroller.
But OTOH I also wouldn't risk getting stuck with a compact car...

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2016, 02:23:00 AM »
Can't seem to find RV with seat-belts for 8. (other than the huge-city-bus, sized RVs).
Any tips?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2016, 02:48:11 AM »
Can't seem to find RV with seat-belts for 8. (other than the huge-city-bus, sized RVs).
Any tips?
That doesn't sound right.

I assume if you're trying to fit 8 people you're talking about a bigger one (e.g. 30' cabover.)
Something like that should typically have a couch with 3 seat belts and 4 seat belts at the table. together with the 2 up front you have 9.

ETA: So maybe I shouldn't say "typically," but that is a common configuration. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one like that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:03:46 AM by whYME »

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »
Any tips?
seems like cruise America large rv's have 9 belts . 4 by the dinette , 3 on the sofa, and 2 upfront.

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2016, 08:02:19 AM »
Any tips?

The RV we recently rented had seating for 8.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2016, 02:09:22 PM »
Monsey-area RV show, Feb. 17-20 2017

http://showoffice.com/northeast-rv-show-exposition.htm
AK,AZ,CA,CT,(DE),FL,HI,(IL),ME,MD,(MA),(MN),MT,NV,NH,NJ,NY,OR,PA,(RI),TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WY

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2017, 08:54:05 AM »
AK,AZ,CA,CT,(DE),FL,HI,(IL),ME,MD,(MA),(MN),MT,NV,NH,NJ,NY,OR,PA,(RI),TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WY

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2018, 10:36:48 PM »
Have an opportunity to drive an rv from Midwest to California on Wednesday with family for free.

Is 2 days enough prep time?

Which route is suggested? I am totally overwhelmed with all the different possibilities.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »
Have an opportunity to drive an rv from Midwest to California on Wednesday with family for free.

Is 2 days enough prep time?

Which route is suggested? I am totally overwhelmed with all the different possibilities.
Definitely doable.  Look at a map and figure out what interests you the most, plan around that.  Problem might be some campgrounds are fully booked, but there's usually more than one campground in any given place, and if you absolutely can't find something, most Walmarts allow you to spend the night in their parking lot.

In my mind, the most important thing for you to do first is get enough meat for the trip.  Most everything else you can get in Walmarts along the way.  It is my understanding that Trader Joes, particularly in the western states, have kosher meat (and chicken) with a good hechsher, so even if you run out, you may be able to get more.

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »
Definitely doable.  Look at a map and figure out what interests you the most, plan around that.  Problem might be some campgrounds are fully booked, but there's usually more than one campground in any given place, and if you absolutely can't find something, most Walmarts allow you to spend the night in their parking lot.

In my mind, the most important thing for you to do first is get enough meat for the trip.  Most everything else you can get in Walmarts along the way.  It is my understanding that Trader Joes, particularly in the western states, have kosher meat (and chicken) with a good hechsher, so even if you run out, you may be able to get more.

Looking at a map, there appears to be three main ways to go from Chicago to San Francisco, with not much driving time difference:

1) go little north thru Minn, north/south Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho
2) go straight west thru Iowa, Nebraska, Utah, Nevada
3) go little South thru Missouri, Oklahoma, new Mexico, Arizona

Couldn't even make it out of IL before couldn't figure out which direction. As u say, campgrounds are aplenty whichever route u drive. However, I am clueless what there is to do/ see in these States.

Thoughts?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »
How much time do you have for the actual trip?

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
How much time do you have for the actual trip?

Figured to leave Chicago thurs early morning 6/14 and land in San Fran fri 6/22, giving me 7 full days of driving. Then fly back on 6/25.

Of course to complicate things will have to find place to stay over two shabbosim, one with rv and one without.

Thinking about doing Route 66 just to make my life easier as not have much time to prep for this trip.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »
First of all,
...The one time I did it all in one week I left NY Motzei Shabbos and didn't stop until late Sun night in SD, then spent the rest of the week getting to CA. My cheshbon was that anything between NY and ORD that I cared for I'd already seen. From ORD until western SD is empty farmland that I didn't want to waste time on.

IIRC it's something like 48 hours driving time from NYC to LAX if you drive direct. If you leave motzei shabbos and arrive Fri, that means on average 8 hours of driving per night/day. that doesn't leave much time for sightseeing.

3. IMO you want to get through the eastern half of the country as quickly as possible and spend your time out west.
(I'm working with the assumption that the primary goal/attraction is National Parks etc and smaller off-the-beaten-track type attractions. If you're looking for fancy hotels in big cities I can't really help you.)

The exception to this is if you take a southern route and go through AL, MS, TX etc but you might not have enough time for that.

4. I think what you need to do is figure out the main things you want to see and work around that. Of course if there's a specific city you want to end up in that'll effect it as well.
For example if you want to go to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone you'll probably want to end in SFO or PDX or SEA. If you want to go Bryce Canyon and Zion you probably want to end in LAX. If you need to end in SAN you won't be going to Glacier National Park.
(of course this is all assuming a ~week time frame)

As for your suggested routes
1) go little north thru Minn, north/south Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho
If you went this way the main highlight is Yellowstone. If I was going this way I'd skip ND and go straight to Mt Rushmore/Black hills area then from there t Yellowstone/Grand Teton. Anything else you want to do pretty much depends on how much time you want to spend around Yellowstone.

2) go straight west thru Iowa, Nebraska, Utah, Nevada
You missed CO.
I'd do something like Rocky Mountains National Park > Moab, UT (Arches, Canyonlands) > [Possibly detour down to Bryce/Zion depending on time/cost ] > SFO

3) go little South thru Missouri, Oklahoma, new Mexico, Arizona
Hmmm, I'm not sure exactly what I would do if I wanted to go this way. Maybe Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands in NM, I'd personally try to swing through Roswell as well but that might not be your thing. I'd probably like to go to Monument Valley but it's probably too far out of the way. Petrified Forest might work. Sedona is awesome but if you can't do rt 89a in an RV might not be worth it. And of course there's the (overrated ) Grand Canyon...

Don't forget, gas is gonna be a huge expense and the more you go out of the way the miles will add up quickly. Even if you take the most direct route you'll be using all your free miles +.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:44:45 PM by whYME »