Author Topic: RV/Motorhome/Camper Master Thread  (Read 10191 times)

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: RV/Motorhome/Camper Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2018, 03:46:44 AM »
Iím thinking of taking an RV for a week with wife and 2kids (2 year old and 9month) from NJ. Does anyone have ideas where to go? Also would need a place to be for Shabbos. (I would leave on a Thursday noon)
The week would be a round trip.

Perhaps consider New Hampshire. Check out the New Hampshire thread.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline jose34

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2018, 06:20:29 AM »
Much better idea would be to fly west (e.g. LA, Vegas, Phoenix, Denver), rent an RV there, and go see the National Parks ;) :D .
Infinitely better than renting from NJ.

+1.

This website has good deals on one way RV's, its seems like its mainly in the west.
http://www.imoova.com/

Online Therebbesbocher

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
is it wishful thinking to try to get a good rate for a one-way rental during august? Does anyone have experience?
Arguing on DDF is like getting arrested, everything you say can and will be used against you, so just remain silent!!

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2020, 10:28:53 PM »
is it wishful thinking to try to get a good rate for a one-way rental during august?
Not at all. Though it does depend what region you're thinking of, and from where to where.

I don't know though if/how the pandemic affects this.
Does anyone have experience?
I did it and am hoping to do it again.

Online Therebbesbocher

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2020, 10:34:40 PM »
Not at all. Though it does depend what region you're thinking of, and from where to where.

I don't know though if/how the pandemic affects this.I did it and am hoping to do it again.
thanks that's great to hear, i was worried that they don't do it during peak season

I'm pretty flexible, so I'll wait to see what's available during my dates, but hopefully ill be able to get to a few national parks etc. 
Arguing on DDF is like getting arrested, everything you say can and will be used against you, so just remain silent!!

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »
but hopefully ill be able to get to a few national parks etc.
Let's just hope that the ones that are open will stay open, and the ones that are currently closed will open very soon.
...and that those states that are still asking arrivals to quarantine (of interest to me for now: Florida, Nevada, Montana, and Idaho) open up ASAP.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2020, 11:38:37 PM »
Let's just hope that the ones that are open will stay open, and the ones that are currently closed will open very soon.
...and that those states that are still asking arrivals to quarantine (of interest to me for now: Florida, Nevada, Montana, and Idaho) open up ASAP.

Montana is likely opening up June 1st. I imagine Idaho will follow.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2020, 04:45:14 AM »
is it wishful thinking to try to get a good rate for a one-way rental during august? Does anyone have experience?
How far is the one-way? Do you plan to do a route that many people do in both directions?  You may get a good rate on the rental itself, but one-way fees could be quite expensive.  Also, are you prepared to disinfect all surfaces?
AK,AZ,CA,CT,(DE),FL,HI,(IL),ME,MD,(MA),MI,MN,MT,NV,NH,NJ,NY,OR,PA,(RI),TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WI,WY

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2020, 07:38:17 AM »
Can Anyone recommend a specific RV, im looking to drive long distance (round trip)without needing to stop in a hotel. Donít want anything fancy or too big. Has to fit 5 people and have a bathroom on board
Would anyone know how much such a rental would cost? Would hope to rent for 3-5 days

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
Can Anyone recommend a specific RV, im looking to drive long distance (round trip)without needing to stop in a hotel. Donít want anything fancy or too big. Has to fit 5 people and have a bathroom on board
Would anyone know how much such a rental would cost? Would hope to rent for 3-5 days
How big is "too big?" How old are these people?  Kids? You can get something about 25" long, which can work, but might feel cramped. Where are you leaving from? See what big RV renters are in that area and check what their options are. Make sure to check the floor plan, see that there are enough seat belts and beds for your needs.

ETA: you will most likely want a class C.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:03:37 AM by SSLPhD »
AK,AZ,CA,CT,(DE),FL,HI,(IL),ME,MD,(MA),MI,MN,MT,NV,NH,NJ,NY,OR,PA,(RI),TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WI,WY

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2020, 09:16:50 AM »
How big is "too big?" How old are these people?  Kids? You can get something about 25" long, which can work, but might feel cramped. Where are you leaving from? See what big RV renters are in that area and check what their options are. Make sure to check the floor plan, see that there are enough seat belts and beds for your needs.

ETA: you will most likely want a class C.
I wouldnít want bigger than sprinter/ mini bus size. Donít think Iíd be comfortable driving anything bigger. Would that be too small for my needs? Would be for for me my wife  and kids under 10

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2020, 09:32:33 AM »
Looking at doing a trip mid June for 3 weeks. BOS-ORD RT.
The only company available is cruisamerica and it's $200+ per night ($4000+/ 3 weeks).
I can do better through rvshare or outdoorsy but I have some concerns regarding roadside assistance. I don't think I'm comfortable driving half way across the country for 3 weeks without covered roadside assistance.
Anyone have experience using these rvshare type sites?
Using your g-d given right of stupidity is an option, not a requirement. Please use sparingly.

Offline JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »
Looking at doing a trip mid June for 3 weeks. BOS-ORD RT.
The only company available is cruisamerica and it's $200+ per night ($4000+/ 3 weeks).
I can do better through rvshare or outdoorsy but I have some concerns regarding roadside assistance. I don't think I'm comfortable driving half way across the country for 3 weeks without covered roadside assistance.
Anyone have experience using these rvshare type sites?

I rented from Outdoorsy last summer for a trip to Watkins Glenn, NY. It was great - much cheaper than Cruise America and a much higher class RV. Plus I was able to pick up the RV much closer to our destination which saved a ton of $$ on mileage and gas. Outdoorsy has different levels of insurance that include roadside assistance if you want. Luckily we didn't need to use it. RV share sites vs. established RV rental sites is the same argument as Airbnb vs. hotels: there is definite value to be had but it can also go horribly wrong. You are taking a risk.  The biggest downside to RV share sites IMHO is they don't do one-ways.

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2020, 10:31:59 AM »
I wouldnít want bigger than sprinter/ mini bus size. Donít think Iíd be comfortable driving anything bigger. Would that be too small for my needs? Would be for for me my wife  and kids under 10
A Sprinter wouldn't have room for your family, and would have at most a wet bath.  Look up a Winnebago Outlook 22R.  Something like that is about 25" long.  Shorter will likely not have enough seating/sleeping positions.  Also, are any kids in car seats/boosters?  IME, these 25" class C's have only one forward-facing position that can be used for car seat/booster.

Online Therebbesbocher

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2020, 12:26:13 PM »
You may get a good rate on the rental itself, but one-way fees could be quite expensive.
I hope to take advantage of a cruise America one way special, or even better, a Phoenix deal.