Author Topic: Internet over bluetooth PAN  (Read 3624 times)

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Internet over bluetooth PAN
« on: October 31, 2008, 12:22:15 AM »
i am using a windows mobile smartphone. i was wondering if i can get internet over a bluetooth network. i am able to network with a computer, but i can only use the computers internet connection when 'synced'. i am trying to acces over bluetooth network. (kind of like over wifi, or "internet sharing" in reverse)

how would i do that?

(or should i just use it as an air conditioner? ;)  )

Offline Yitzter

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Internet over bluetooth PAN
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:51:13 AM »
So, from what I understand, you want to transfer your PC internet connection to the smartphone, via bluetooth?
"There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:12:12 AM »
easiest way is bluetooth activesync!
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
Yitzter:yes.

mordy: activsync is;

1)very moody. (will drop me, or not connect at all) much more so then the PAN connection

2)requires instalation on the host computer.

so if i could do it without the activsync, would be convenient.

Offline mllymc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 08:05:18 AM »
if ur computer has bluetooth setup a network connection and use the bluetooth as a network adapter u might need to install 3rd party software but it should work

Please tell me if it does

TY

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 10:46:52 AM »
if ur computer has bluetooth setup a network connection and use the bluetooth as a network adapter
that's the same as having my phone join a network?

u might need to install 3rd party software but it should work
software on the phone? the computer? both?
what kind of software?

also; do i need to do anything with ip address etc.?

Offline mllymc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 02:02:15 AM »
"that's the same as having my phone join a network?"   NO IT'S NOT

"software on the phone? the computer? both?" usually you will only need software on ur computer but if ur phone doesn't support getting internet through bluetooth u might need to install something on the phone.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 03:56:32 PM »
gozalim- Here's how it works:
Bluetooth supports many different kinds of connections (called "profiles"), and although all bluetooth devices are compatible with each other, they don't all support the same profiles.

The PAN (Personal Area Networking) profile allows you to create a network connection over bluetooth, a virtual LAN, so to speak (devs call it WiFi mini). However, if you're familiar with networking, you will know that just having two computers on a network together does not necessarily share one's internet connection with the other.

It is also important to realize that the software stack (bluetooth drivers) don't all support PAN. If you are using the native Microsoft stack on your PC, last I checked I think it did not support PAN, only virtual Serial Port and Dial Up Networking (things may have changed since then, especially if you're running Vista). If you are using a third party software stack, such as BlueSoliel or Widcomm, you're probably good to go since they try to include all known profiles.

But even if you create a network connection between the computer and device, you still have to tackle the problem of sharing your internet connection. This can be done using windows' ICS tool if you have it, or even with the old-school proxy server method. Whatever the case may be, you'll be fiddling with the host computer for a bit to make this work.

Honestly, bluetooth activesync is a FAR EASIER approach, since it just uses a virtual serial port (which every BT stack supports), and tells Activesync to just use that port. One you do that, Activesync does the rest of the dirty work for you. Yes, you'll have to install Activesync, but that's easier than installing a new BT stack or messing about with Proxy Server apps.

I use BT activesync all the time, personally- I only bother with the USB cable when I want to flash the firmware to a new version. Its great- walk in the room, hit the connect over BT button in activesync on the phone, and the PC springs to life and connects you. I don't know why you found it moody, once you get it set up properly.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Don't you take a speed hit by using bluetooth for a modem instead of USB?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 05:08:17 PM »
Don't you take a speed hit by using bluetooth for a modem instead of USB?

Yes you definitely do. I had set up my Blackberry Bold to allow my computer to use its 3G connection over BT which was pretty cool, but also pretty slow. I think BT max speed is 115k while 3G is closer to 1,400k.

Actually I just did some more research and with EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) there is a possibility of getting up to 2Mbps so my information is probably incorrect.
-Eli

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:03:44 AM »
Yes you definitely do.

Not necessarily. Most people's cellular connections are slower than the max BT bitrate.

I had set up my Blackberry Bold to allow my computer to use its 3G connection over BT which was pretty cool, but also pretty slow. I think BT max speed is 115k while 3G is closer to 1,400k.

Actually I just did some more research and with EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) there is a possibility of getting up to 2Mbps so my information is probably incorrect.

Even without EDR, BT 1.0 is capable of data rates of 700-800kbps. Not too shabby, and certainly fast enough for most 3G connections (average EVDO rev. 0 is 600-800kpbs, with bursts of 1+mbps. 3.5 networks such as HSPDA and EVDO REv A go faster, but they're few and far between). The 115k you've seen listed is actually serial ports' max speed (RS232), and Bluetooth uses virtual serial ports for many of its connections. However, the speed rating of RS232 actually doesn't make any difference when using BT. It won't "cap" the data rate, in fact you can set it to 33.6kpbs, and it will usually still go the full 800k if it can.

Either way, USB is faster than either method, since even USB1.1 is capable of 1.5Mpbs. However, if you're sharing your standard 3G at 600kbps, it won't make any difference which one you use since they are BOTH faster than the data rate coming in.

My guess Eli, is that you're not getting such great data speeds from AT&T to begin with. They're the best GSM carrier in the US, but their 3G network was still pretty weak last time I checked. My brother in law's iPhone had to tether to my Sprint phone last time he was here to get faster speeds. 

I'll keep my mouth shut about you getting a Bold, while I'm at it. :) Could be worse- at least its not an iPhone or BB Storm.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 03:11:14 AM by Mordy »