Author Topic: AAdvantages?  (Read 777 times)

Offline vague

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
AAdvantages?
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:58:02 AM »
Hi all, looking for some advice. I recently received AA Platinum with an accompanying challenge to earn 12,500 EQMs by September 9th, to keep the status until January 2018. I don't fly much, but most of my flights these days are short-haul AA flights on T fares (Dan's favorite BA award, IIRC), and I’ve been enjoying the status enough that I'd like to try and keep it.

I'm aware that AA's award chart has gone to crap, but I get a lot of value out of the expanded seating chart usage, occasional free upgrades, priority boarding, and free checked bags. I'd apply for a Citi card, but I doubt I'd be approved for anything right now (take my word for it), unless Citi's approval criteria is easier than I recall it being.

So, any advice on how to cheaply rack up the EQMs? I currently have ~2500, so only need ~10k. Don't mind going for a mileage run, but don't want to spend a ton of money on it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:03:07 PM by vague »

Offline Tom Brady

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Ritz Platinum
Re: AAdvantages?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »
My favorite AA mileage run is probably from NYC to HKG round-trip on AA metal which can be had for as low as $590 occasionally and for $765 over the next couple of weeks. You'd need to spend the weekend in HKG though and it's more expensive from WAS. For something shorter and cheaper though I'd copy and paste airport lists info ITA matrix and filter to AA fights (unless I was searching premium cabins in which case I'd filter to all Oneworld flights or whichever airlines are eligible for the challenge).

Offline vague

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 02:16:29 PM »
My favorite AA mileage run is probably from NYC to HKG round-trip on AA metal which can be had for as low as $590 occasionally and for $765 over the next couple of weeks. You'd need to spend the weekend in HKG though and it's more expensive from WAS. For something shorter and cheaper though I'd copy and paste airport lists info ITA matrix and filter to AA fights (unless I was searching premium cabins in which case I'd filter to all Oneworld flights or whichever airlines are eligible for the challenge).
Probably should’ve mentioned home base is typically PHL, although obviously NYC isn't problematic. Not sure I have the time or desire to visit HKG right now. I suspect I have enough on-AA-metal revenue activity already that it doesn’t matter where I credit the remainder from, so I’ll play with the ITA matrix, thanks!

Offline Centurion

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:58:19 AM »
im looking to fly domestic for a milage run 6k short - anything local to try? or best bank for the buck?
you can only make a first impression ONCE