Author Topic: Yeshiva Year in Israel Best Card  (Read 2594 times)

Offline agnj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Yeshiva Year in Israel Best Card
« on: August 14, 2022, 06:37:53 PM »
Hi,
Our son will be spending one year in Israel. He currently uses an old Marriott Bonvoy Consumer AMEX card that is under my account. Most of our purchases are on a Chase Sapphire Reserve. We have no other Chase cards. I would like to send him with an additional card since AmEx is not taken everywhere.
What makes the most sense?
Should I get him a secondary Sapphire Reserve card for $75 (no foreign transaction fees)?
Should I add a lower end card without an annual fee and without foreign transaction fees, such as the Chase Gateway Club, to our portfolio and give him a secondary card off of this?
Should I add one of the Ultimate Reward cards without annual fees, such as the Freedom Unlimited, to our portfolio, give him a secondary card from this account, and eat the foreign transaction fees for places that don't take the AmEx (and learn to use it more to accomplish the 'bifecta' - till now, I've preferred dealing with AmEx for its shopping protection benefits than with Chase, so I've been using the Bonvoy AmEx for 2x points on non-Sapphire benefit purchases )
Any other card suggestions?

Thank you!

Offline jfish227

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Yeshiva Year in Israel Best Card
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 07:23:40 PM »
Have him apply for any capital one card which have no fees, there are $0 annual fee mastercards and visas designed for starter credit

Offline incendia

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 08:30:39 PM »
Hi,
Our son will be spending one year in Israel. He currently uses an old Marriott Bonvoy Consumer AMEX card that is under my account. Most of our purchases are on a Chase Sapphire Reserve. We have no other Chase cards. I would like to send him with an additional card since AmEx is not taken everywhere.
What makes the most sense?
Should I get him a secondary Sapphire Reserve card for $75 (no foreign transaction fees)?
Should I add a lower end card without an annual fee and without foreign transaction fees, such as the Chase Gateway Club, to our portfolio and give him a secondary card off of this?
Should I add one of the Ultimate Reward cards without annual fees, such as the Freedom Unlimited, to our portfolio, give him a secondary card from this account, and eat the foreign transaction fees for places that don't take the AmEx (and learn to use it more to accomplish the 'bifecta' - till now, I've preferred dealing with AmEx for its shopping protection benefits than with Chase, so I've been using the Bonvoy AmEx for 2x points on non-Sapphire benefit purchases )
Any other card suggestions?

Thank you!

Ask chase for a replacment for a damaged reserve card. Both cards should work as long no one is to makpid about the name on the card.

Offline jfish227

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 09:33:49 PM »
Ask chase for a replacment for a damaged reserve card. Both cards should work as long no one is to makpid about the name on the card.
if you wanted to keep track of which charges were his then you would need to be more on top of things with this method. If you dont care then this will work

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 09:42:55 PM »
if you wanted to keep track of which charges were his then you would need to be more on top of things with this method. If you dont care then this will work
You should be able to tell easily which are from Israel
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline jfish227

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 10:28:11 PM »
You should be able to tell easily which are from Israel
the difference would be manually looking through all charges or automatically seeing a different card for the span of a year

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 10:38:36 PM »
the difference would be manually looking through all charges or automatically seeing a different card for the span of a year
IINM Chase doesn't separate AU cards anyhow and gives them the same number.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 02:05:11 AM »
If you're interested in signing up for a new card, get the venture x and make him an authorized user for free on the card.

He'll get some nice benefits (lounge access) and you'll earn 2 points per dollar on everything with no foreign transaction fees.
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 02:22:40 AM »
You can make him a user on reserve and then cancel him as user the card will still work but won’t cost money(also no priority pass) then you’ll have card with his name

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 09:01:53 AM »
The CSR add then cancel is definitely a decent idea, as is the Venture X (as the effective annual fee after travel credit and anniversary point bonus is $0 or less!).

Do not use a card with a foreign transaction fee under any circumstances.

Amex acceptance in Israel is above average, by the way.

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 06:41:04 PM »
Is yeshiva year like yeshiva week?