Topic Wiki

Try calling amex, many people have been offered 50k for $10k spend when upgrading

50k https://www262.americanexpress.com/business-card-application/upgrade/pa/business-platinum-charge-card/login/44926-9-1-WOC0000416
25K bonus sign up link
DEAD
Alternative 30K bonus sign up link DEAD
(Go Incognito if the link does not work for you.) Sometimes you have to go thru the entering cc info route, bec. the user id route doesn't work sometimes.

New link - https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openplatinum/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=template_a&benefitId=open.platinumupdates

Q: It's been a few days since I applied and the changes haven't taken effect yet , should I worry?
A: No. That's perfectly normal.

Q: I'm in my first year of my gold card, will I be charged the AF when I downgrade back?
A:
Yes you will

The cheshbon is that you upgrade, get the points, buy the AA GC's do the Platinum Guy's Great Mehalech, then downgrade back or close and get the Annual Fee of the Plat reimbursed. If cancelled within 60 days you get it all back; if more than 60 days it is prorated.

Author Topic: Upgrade From AMEX Business Gold To Business Platinum And Get 25K MR!  (Read 489325 times)

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
I just looked an they already billed me $375, and my statement closed yesterday... so if I get back my $375 and a $200 AA credit I'm more than fine
i just canceled my upgraded plat and they prorated me for the charge, the csr said the the 60 day policy is only for new accounts (obviously i will still try and get all the money back but this is my experience so far)

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Dont ask me how but...  ;D

Even though they told me it was done over the phone (which it wasn't) and I wouldn't be eligible for the 25K ...

All I did was click the upgrade button, there was no other screen to confirm ...

beautiful

i just canceled my upgraded plat and they prorated me for the charge, the csr said the the 60 day policy is only for new accounts (obviously i will still try and get all the money back but this is my experience so far)
the smartest way of going about the upgrade is to wait until close to the end of your biz gold year... then make the upgrade and they'll only charge you a few bucks for the remainder of the year.  when the new year hits, cancel the card.     $75 for 25k points and $200 in aa gc's is a pretty good deal.  of course you could also be petty, and cancel right away trying to get part of your $75 back... to each their own.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
They prorated you from the upgrade date until you closed it?

How long was it for? It only takes about 1 week to get the $200 Airline Credit and 25K Bonus

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• View Profile
yup, it was about a month and a half from when the fee posted. And yes it could take a week but somehow in my life things always seem to be just getting done at the very last moment...  :D

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
The best way to do this is to upgrade in the beginning of a statement cycle and to cancel b4 the statement closes. Because you only get the fee if the statement closes.
DD.com Main Site Deals 0 = DDF Loser

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
The best way to do this is to upgrade in the beginning of a statement cycle and to cancel b4 the statement closes. Because you only get the fee if the statement closes.
True, If I would have waited 2 days before I mistakenly clicked the upgrade button, it would be much easier...

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
Amex is changing the online account look. In the new look I can't find the option to upgrade to Business Plat, can someone help me?

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
if i closed my business gold card 10 days ago, can i have it reopened? not sure if anyone has experience with this.

Thnaks

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
if i closed my business gold card 10 days ago, can i have it reopened? not sure if anyone has experience with this.

Thnaks
i think you have 3 mos. to reopen. PUTPAC!

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
i think you have 3 mos. to reopen. PUTPAC!

Ha, i PUTPACed, but the amex rep said she can't do it and i will have to re-apply. I didn't really believe her, but figured i would ask real experts (i.e. DDFers...lol)

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
Ha, i PUTPACed, but the amex rep said she can't do it and i will have to re-apply. I didn't really believe her, but figured i would ask real experts (i.e. DDFers...lol)
HUCA! ;D

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
HUCA! ;D

Wow, after couple of HUCAs, i'm still getting the same response from Amex reps. They say that reinstatements have been temporarily discontinued and i would need to re-applyfor a new card. maybe a change in policy?

will try again over the next couple of days, but interesting.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Wow, after couple of HUCAs, i'm still getting the same response from Amex reps. They say that reinstatements have been temporarily discontinued and i would need to re-applyfor a new card. maybe a change in policy?

Hmmmm... Win some, lose others...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline TAVI

• View Profile

Thats always the case isnt it?

Still i'm curious if someone has tried to reopen a card and ran into a similar issue, or is it just my account thats so "special". I haven't been having much fun with Amex lately...

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
Thats always the case isnt it?

Still i'm curious if someone has tried to reopen a card and ran into a similar issue, or is it just my account thats so "special". I haven't been having much fun with Amex lately...
+1
anyone else declined/approved for reinstatement lately, so we can confirm/deny this new policy?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Reinstatements are always case-to-case basis.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline TAVI

• View Profile
Reinstatements are always case-to-case basis.

oh ok, thats good to know. I thought it was a given thing, but it appears not.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
oh ok, thats good to know. I thought it was a given thing, but it appears not.

Might be worth a HUCA in that case.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Lamdan

• View Profile
by the comments at that "win some" link, a guy mendel claims that amex told him its a hard pull to reallocate credit, is there any truth to that?

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
by the comments at that "win some" link, a guy mendel claims that amex told him its a hard pull to reallocate credit, is there any truth to that?

Might be (wasn't when I did it, but that was forever ago), but your question belongs there (in any case). I would assume the website would warn you if there was a hard pull.