Topic Wiki

Try calling amex, many people have been offered 50k for $10k spend when upgrading

50k https://www262.americanexpress.com/business-card-application/upgrade/pa/business-platinum-charge-card/login/44926-9-1-WOC0000416
25K bonus sign up link
DEAD
Alternative 30K bonus sign up link DEAD
(Go Incognito if the link does not work for you.) Sometimes you have to go thru the entering cc info route, bec. the user id route doesn't work sometimes.

New link - https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openplatinum/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=template_a&benefitId=open.platinumupdates

Q: It's been a few days since I applied and the changes haven't taken effect yet , should I worry?
A: No. That's perfectly normal.

Q: I'm in my first year of my gold card, will I be charged the AF when I downgrade back?
A:
Yes you will

The cheshbon is that you upgrade, get the points, buy the AA GC's do the Platinum Guy's Great Mehalech, then downgrade back or close and get the Annual Fee of the Plat reimbursed. If cancelled within 60 days you get it all back; if more than 60 days it is prorated.

Author Topic: Upgrade From AMEX Business Gold To Business Platinum And Get 25K MR!  (Read 489415 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
A recent story we can all learn from:

I got this offer to upgrade my gold to plat for 25k but when I tried to upgrade, it said I was not eligible.

Called the number provided in the email, was bounced around from Kansas to India and back to Tennessee (or maybe still India) and got a guy who either didn't see, or didn't have access to, the note in my account saying I was ineligible.  Upgraded my card without a problem.

Lesson: With Amex there are many Avenues.  Try them all and you shall succeed.

But did you get the bonus for upgrading?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Smokey Joe Robinson

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold Elite, Best Western Diamond Elite, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, United Premier Silver
A recent story we can all learn from:

I got this offer to upgrade my gold to plat for 25k but when I tried to upgrade, it said I was not eligible.

Called cs, they opened a case and sent to back office.

Called a few days later, was told there's now a note in account saying I'm not eligible, would have to wait for correspondence by mail from back office to pursue further.

Tweeted askamex.  Got a response with a link to send an email through my account.  Got the following unhelpful response:
"Please call the customer service number on the back of your card, they will be able to help. -Dre"

Called executive office number, could not get through to The Man but got his email.  Sent an email to chairmansoffice@aexp.com with no response yet.

Called the number provided in the email, was bounced around from Kansas to India and back to Tennessee (or maybe still India) and got a guy who either didn't see, or didn't have access to, the note in my account saying I was ineligible.  Upgraded my card without a problem.

Lesson: With Amex there are many Avenues.  Try them all and you shall succeed.

shows how much cs actually knows. many times the caller is smarter than the rep (especially from this forum)
My Programs Are Listed So That I Don't Forget Them :)

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
But did you get the bonus for upgrading?
I don't see why I shouldn't but I'll follow up to  let you know.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Upgraded got 25k points, they also upgraded the secondary card to plat without my request. How to maximize benefits on that? I think- the $200 is once per account, the $100 GE is for both and the lounge is for both. Anything else I can get?

Offline sy guy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Just did the upgrades for both mine and my wife's Business Plat's - points posted on both after buying aa gift cards (later refunded), so its basically a free 25k with no spend.
Any reason I should wait to cancel as I have also bought my aa giftcards for 2013 and want to start the 12 month clock on getting the bonus again...

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Got the offer. Read through this thread.
Still have a question:
I'm still in the first year of my Business Gold card, would they let me have it free for the remainder of this year if I downgrade back after the points post?
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Got the offer. Read through this thread.
Still have a question:
I'm still in the first year of my Business Gold card, would they let me have it free for the remainder of this year if I downgrade back after the points post?
BUMP, please.
@Name Changed: What was your experience?

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
BUMP, please.
@Name Changed: What was your experience?
I upgraded from Gold to Plat, got 25k. I then downgraded to the Green, got 5k for that, and no fee first year.

Then I applied for a new Gold Biz - 75k :)

Offline btab

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I upgraded from Gold to Plat, got 25k. I then downgraded to the Green, got 5k for that, and no fee first year.

Is it worth to do the upgrade or cancel and wait it out for a better offer, plus if you do it at the end of the year you can get the $400 credit instead of just $200.
learning about churning

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Is it worth to do the upgrade or cancel and wait it out for a better offer, plus if you do it at the end of the year you can get the $400 credit instead of just $200.
Now with the new terms, you have a good question. There is no pull when you upgrade, so its an easy 25k.

I don't think all account are eligible for the upgrade to Plat for 25k, and possibly the upgrade promotion could expire (if you wait till December)

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

When u downgraded from plat to green
a) did they charge a fee for the green card ?
b) how did you get the 5k?-- it came with the down grade??, with out asking??

I went from gold biz to plat upgrade ( 25k) --- now was thinking to cancel --your way will be better for me if can get 5k ( they do offer 5k for the sign up of a green biz )

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
In addition to SPLP's questions, do you think they'll let me have the Gold free for the remaining year after I downgrade?
I really want to have the card as a Gold, not any other version.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
When u downgraded from plat to green
a) did they charge a fee for the green card ?
b) how did you get the 5k?-- it came with the down grade??, with out asking??

I went from gold biz to plat upgrade ( 25k) --- now was thinking to cancel --your way will be better for me if can get 5k ( they do offer 5k for the sign up of a green biz )
a) I just looked thru my charges, and I do not see the yearly fee, so I am pretty sure they didn't charge me for it, as the Green card is free the first year
b) I got the 5k without asking, its weird what happened, I got it as a signup bonus. It actually almost messed me up - that I didn't get the 75k on my Gold card automatically, cuz of the new terms, since I got the 5k for the Green they I didn't get it, I eneded up getting the 75k after calling.... 

In addition to SPLP's questions, do you think they'll let me have the Gold free for the remaining year after I downgrade?
I really want to have the card as a Gold, not any other version.
I would assume you should be able to keep the Gold for free either for the remaining of the year or for an additional year.

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
Whooa... Seems to be working for multiple accounts...
Remain to see whether all will get the points though...

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
After the upgrade, do security code and exp. date remain the same as the Gold card?

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
After the upgrade, do security code and exp. date remain the same as the Gold card?
I was able to still use my Gold card without any issues, The Plat card had different info (IIRC)

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
Whooa... Seems to be working for multiple accounts...
Remain to see whether all will get the points though...
Points posted for all 3 accounts  :D
That's what easy money/points is.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
those that reported here upgrading from gold to plat Consumer:
was it regular Gold? or was it PRG?
anyone from Green?

Offline SPLP