Author Topic: A Pleasant 3-Day Family Getaway - Saratoga/Lake George area  (Read 8637 times)

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
A Pleasant 3-Day Family Getaway - Saratoga/Lake George area
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »
I decided that it's about time to spend some quality time with my wife and children out of the four dull walls of my Brooklyn home. My wife and I decided that such a trip is long overdue, so we promptly started with the planning. Knowing that traveling in the Nine Days isn't ideal from both a halachic and practical perspective, we put it off for after Tisha B'av (namely, Tuesday because Monday was washing day for those heaps of laundry accumulating and overflowing).

Criteria we were limited to:
  • Any place requiring flying was out. Not all my kids have passports yet. (And it's not like I've covered everything locally already.)
  • All attractions had to be geared toward a family with young children.
  • No water activities (speed boating etc.). The little kids are just gonna squirm out of our grip and leap right into the water.
  • Animals were out. That's not what we saved this trip for. We can get enough of them locally.
  • Time of the day when we can do activities had to be kid (baby) friendly. (Which includes naps as well, though that's possible with a carriage.)
So with having to take all this into consideration we felt the decree of shevor es hachavis, ushemor es yainah... But baruch Hashem we pulled it off and it worked out perfectly.

After many ups and downs we settled on Upstate New York, in the Saratoga Springs/Lake George area for a few reasons:
  • It's not another typical trip to the catskills.
  • The views both on the way up and in the area are nicer than closer South.
  • There are convenient minyanim in the area.
  • There are enough not-your-typical attractions around the area.
The next step in the planning was where to stay. After some research I settled for the Hyatt Place Malta Saratoga conveniently located right off exit 12 on the I87. This was also only a ten-minute drive from the Belzer Yeshiva in Saratoga (also just a minute off exit 15 on the I87).
[During my first Mincha at Belz I found out that there's a Comfort Inn right nearby where I can get a room for pennies on the dollar via a PC number that some of the guys around there can give me. Though that option would've been a bit risky, as it only works for walk-ins. You cannot make a reservation with that; so if they are full then it's tough luck on you.]

I don't remember why, (perhaps because I thought I may get a better deal elsewhere) but I left the booking of the Hyatt for after Tisha B'av, only a day before I was to be arriving there. A BIG mistake on my end. On Monday I went online and only found availability for a room with a single king-size bed, which was very not ideal in my situation as I was traveling with several kids. More beds means better sleeping conditions for the little ones, and doubling them up doesn't become that difficult. So I went ahead and called up Hyatt on their main phone number to try and get a rep to book me for a room with two queen beds instead of the one king bed the site was showing. To my dismay the rep told me that ALL rooms are taken, and THERE IS NO AVAILABILITY. Not one to be turned off so quickly I hung up and started a search. Orbitz. Priceline. Expedia. Back to Hyatt's site. Start again... Nothing. All booked. I called up the local number of that particular location and tried my luck with them to see if they can get me something, the receptionist told me that there's nothing she can do, as they have no empty rooms. As I was talking to her I quickly did another search on their site and saw that indeed they do have a room with a king bed available. When mentioning this to her she told me that she can't see it on her end  :o, but I should feel free to go ahead and book it. Although it wasn't my first choice I booked it, figuring that I will first stick my foot into the door and later worry about squeezing in the rest of my body; I will call later to see if they can change me. I confirmed with the receptionist that I will have no loss if I cancel (that is if I can't change to the queen beds), as my stay is already within the next 24 hours. I booked. Promptly after booking I called them back up asking (I obviously displayed a tone of someone holding this reservation for a long time and just requesting a minor change) if they can just do this one small change to the two queen beds. Lo and behold my reservation was changed in an instant!  :o :o
This extremely helpful receptionist, Victoria, promised me that it's taken care of (although even after several attempts she couldn't send me a confirmation email of the change), and if I have a problem I can contact her.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:10:15 PM by AsherO »

Offline SrulyS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: A Pleasant 3-Day Family Getaway
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:43:24 PM »
Well done.

Looking forward to the trip report.

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:58:45 PM »
Nice start
Just came across this TR and plan to do a similar trip
Are you still going to continue the report?

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
Nice start
Just came across this TR and plan to do a similar trip
Are you still going to continue the report?
Would love to finish it. In the meantime I'd be glad to help you with any questions. You can post right here.

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »
Would love to finish it. In the meantime I'd be glad to help you with any questions. You can post right here.
en route already staying at the Marriott in Lake george
Any activities in the area not to miss?

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 04:09:40 PM »
What did you do there?

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 06:18:10 PM »
What did you do there?
I did Sky Zone in/near Albany on the way in. I did Six Flags - Great Escape over there. On the way back we did Washington Park in Albany. 2 night stay in Hyatt Place Saratoga Malta. Very nice place. Had minyanim in Belz yeshiva Saratoga.

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
I did Sky Zone in/near Albany on the way in. I did Six Flags - Great Escape over there. On the way back we did Washington Park in Albany. 2 night stay in Hyatt Place Saratoga Malta. Very nice place. Had minyanim in Belz yeshiva Saratoga.
My kids are 3 and 1-1/2. What else can I do besides Washington park?

Offline avadah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
What's the kosher food situation? Does belz help out with that?

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 04:37:33 PM »
Sky zone would be great for them. Good for all ages, and they were super nice, excellent service. Washington Park is more nature-like, probably more for you and your wife. It has beautiful grounds, a lake, a bridge, sprinkler etc.

IMO with kids at those ages I would say to focus such a trip more for your wife and yourself rather than for the kids, you should just throw in here and there enough kid-friendly activities/sites.

There was also a nice boat ride (ancient style) that I researched back then, it was just closed for the season. Find out about that too.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 04:41:49 PM »
What's the kosher food situation? Does belz help out with that?
I'm not sure if it's official or not, but you can go there when the bachurim have meal time and ask around, they will tell you how to go about getting food. They are served with great abundance and it shouldn't be a problem. Also, there is a Walmart not far where you can get many basic items.

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »
The lake is very nice and scenic, you could rent a boat or you could opt in for the cheaper option and take a steamboat cruise on the lake
We also did lazy river tubing in Lake Luzerne (doable with small kids) and we drove up to Ausable Chasm (no strollers but you could go with a baby carrier)

Offline Alexsei

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »
Topic title should include Saratoga/lake George for people searching in the future
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: A Pleasant 3-Day Family Getaway - Saratoga/Lake George area
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
Topic title should include Saratoga/lake George for people searching in the future

Done, hope you and the OP approve.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 11:50:13 PM »
Done, hope you and the OP approve.
Sure. Now that this thread is getting more visits I feel forced to finish the TR...

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 11:51:22 PM »
Sure. Now that this thread is getting more visits I feel forced to finish the TR...
Please do, I'm curious what happened with your hotel (and how the trip went overall)
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline avadah

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 04:42:39 PM »
Really?

Offline tanipollak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 11:49:02 PM »
I'll be in lake george wednesday morning and looking for a minyan for rosh chodesh.. Any minyanim near the area?

Offline Shauly101

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dirshu!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 08:05:13 PM »
I'll be in lake george wednesday morning and looking for a minyan for rosh chodesh.. Any minyanim near the area?

belz. (27 mon drive)

Offline tanipollak

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »
We have 5 hours in the AM and early afternoon for activities.. Anything to do with a 2 year old energetic boy?? Waterparks or fun activities for 3? Also going back later in the week to Saratoga. Anything there?